Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Provisional license info

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Owen54
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:57 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Provisional license info Reply with quote

Hey I'm 16 turning 17 soon, I need to know some information about the provisional license. I know that at 16 you can ride a 50 and 17 a 125 etc. But was just wondering about applying for one. Again I know it's the government website or post office etc. I have a question though, if I apply for a provisional license at 16 now, do I get a 125 entitlement when I turn 17 or do I have to wait until I'm 17 and then apply for one?

Thank you for any information given in advance.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:40 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, once you do your CBT, it validates any provisional category that's appropriate for your age for as long as it's active.

It doesn't even matter what bike you do the CBT on. You could do your CBT at 16 on a twist and go moped to validate your AM provisional, and still be OK to jump straight on a geared 125 when you hit 17 and get A1.

Not that you should do that. The CBT is training, not a test, so you should make the most of it, wait until you turn 17 and do it on a geared 125 if that's what you intend to ride.

Owen54
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Good news, once you do your CBT, it validates any provisional category that's appropriate for your age for as long as it's active.

It doesn't even matter what bike you do the CBT on. You could do your CBT at 16 on a twist and go moped to validate your AM provisional, and still be OK to jump straight on a geared 125 when you hit 17 and get A1.

Not that you should do that. The CBT is training, not a test, so you should make the most of it, wait until you turn 17 and do it on a geared 125 if that's what you intend to ride.

Okay so it doesn't matter when I applying for a provisional license?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owen54 wrote:

Exactly. As said above, your provisional licence will be validated upon completion of CBT. That's the same for a 50cc at 16 as it is a 125cc at 17.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Owen54
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:17 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Owen54 wrote:

Exactly. As said above, your provisional licence will be validated upon completion of CBT. That's the same for a 50cc at 16 as it is a 125cc at 17.

Sorry guess I'm not being clear enough. I haven't got a provisional license yet and I'm asking if it matters when I get one.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not being clear enough and nor is Roger. The provisional entitlement is the provisional entitlement. Validating it via CBT means you have a provisional licence. It matters not when you apply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Owen54
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:30 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I guess I'm not being clear enough and nor is Roger. The provisional entitlement is the provisional entitlement. Validating it via CBT means you have a provisional licence. It matters not when you apply.

Okay thank you, so if I apply for a provisional license now while I am 16, when I am 17 I can do the CBT and ride a 125?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owen54 wrote:
arry wrote:

Okay thank you, so if I apply for a provisional license now while I am 16, when I am 17 I can do the CBT and ride a 125?

Gah. Yes you can. Apply for it now and do your CBT when you turn 17 and you'll be able to ride a 125. You don't have to wait to apply for the provisional.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owen54 wrote:
arry wrote:

We might need some pictures Laughing

Quote:
You could do your CBT at 16 on a twist and go moped to validate your AM provisional, and still be OK to jump straight on a geared 125 when you hit 17 and get A1.

Not sure what you're not getting.

Owen54
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:40 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Gah. Yes you can. Apply for it now and do your CBT when you turn 17 and you'll be able to ride a 125. You don't have to wait to apply for the provisional.

Okay thank you so much I appreciate it. Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:54 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, none of this is clearly spelled out on gov.uk sites.

But yes, you're fine to apply now. You'll get provisional A entitlement, which actually manifests as provisional AM at 16, provisional A1 at 17, provisional A2 at 19, and provisional A at either 24, or 2 years after passing A2.

Except... I've just had a peculiar thought about that last sentence, which I'll share elsewhere once I've given the statutes a good going over.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:57 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owen54 wrote:
Sorry guess I'm not being clear enough. I haven't got a provisional license yet and I'm asking if it matters when I get one.

Yes.. if you are still at school, you can get your form teacher to counter sign the back of your pass-port photo's to accompany the forms....
If you wait, and are at 6th form college, may find it harder to get any-one who qualifies to counter-sighn piccies... and once you have left, and are at work, the list of approved signatories will beg things like Doctors, who oft wont do it these days, or will charge private consult fees to....

So, yes, does matter when you apply for first licence, if still at school, the paperwork can be a lot easier....... (though you still have the grownup hassle to renew every five years!)

CBT validates your provisional entitlement for either moped or 125. Heed that it IS just a first lesson, not a test... or a licence... and is only valid 2 years... you can take proper tests for either catagory to turn your provisional into a full licence... and get the clock started on new-driver-probation in which they can take it off you, tear it up and make you start from scratch all over after ban... for 'half' the penalty points.... on which topic, note that thety can dole out two points for every missing, damaged or non regulation L-Plate, as well as fine the feck out of you....

If you stump up the cash to buy, and insure a 50 when you are still 16.... to go a little slower than a fit kid on a push-bike..... whilst you pay the tax and insurance and petrol, and have to display a reg plate by which they can easily catch you for any misdemeanor....

Taking the tests... which cost about £120... could be a good way to get your first full licence 'early' get the clock started on that NDA probation, when you are for half of it on something barely able to even break the lowest speed limits on street-lit roads, and get a dry run at the tests for bigger bikes, so you know what to expect if you tackle them, and if you passed on a moped, have pretty high confidence you can pass on a 125 or a 650 when old enough.....

Also turning up to higher tests and presenting a 'full' licence at the beginning, will, well, turning up to do a moped test will probably stun the examiner, and make them more inclined to pass you.... they [probably haven't seen any-one on a moped before! They'll be bragging about it at the coffee machine for years! But the full licence when you turn up for higher licence tests will make similarly good impression on examiner, so dpouble whammy towards pass chances.....

In the mean time... grumpy coppa pulling 'ped, cos no L's is easy meat... gets shock, cos you dont need'em... and missing, broken, or non regulation L's is a non issue.....

So some reasons to think about doing moped tests, IF you decide to get 'ped....

And as said, step up to a 125 when 17, you are ahead of the game turning up to tests with full licence, however long already expired of the NDA probation, and time still on your CBT cert to get the A1 125 only licence, that is no great shakes you done exact same tests on a 50, its just covering old ground on a bigger bike, and enjoy a couple more years when you dont have to repeat CBT or worry about L-Plate infringements while NDA expires rather than CBT entitlement... and you can go do an A2 test for a 45bhp bike, again, knowing the score and knowing the ropes and that you can pass, just doing it on a bigger heavier bike.. and likely have NCB as well as licence history to help make insuring a bigger bike as a teenager more doab le.

But.... that's if you want to do the 50 thing, and can afford it. as said, its a heck of a lot of money to spend to have something probably no faster than your pushbike and a number plate so they know where to send the money with menaces letters.

Sit it out till your 17 and go straight for a 125? About your only option these days, but still, CBT is only first lesson, and better to get the tests and have NDA probabtion ebbing away in your favour than CBT validity ebbing away against you.

But either way, full licence and no L's to give plod easy excuse for quick collaz, over and above the self smug satisfaction of having a full licence, even if only for ped or 125, has to be worth the test fees that are barely the cost of a repeat CBT you will undobtedly need at some point.

BUT... provisional can be applied for pretty much as soon as you like... I think I got mine a month or so before my 16th, actually, there#s a lead time you can apply for it ahead of time in, it just doesn't have any validity until your 16th birthday... so you could apply for licence before birthday, like a CBT course booked ahead of your birtthday, on which you could do CBT and be riding 'legally' before bedtime, on your own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

see what you did... you've woken tef up. Mad

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I was about to ask this as 16 yo brother in law turns 17 in October but 19 yo brother in law needs to redo his in August
and I was trying to swing it so they do CBT together.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1