Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZZR 600 Battery - updated with voltmeter readings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:33 - 29 Jun 2013    Post subject: ZZR 600 Battery - updated with voltmeter readings Reply with quote

So I accidently bought a 97 ZZR 600 the other day (ever have 'a cheeky bid' on something, forget all about it and end up winning it?) Mr. Green

I went and picked it up this morning and I'm pretty pleased with it to be honest; she goes like shit off a shovel and the former owner was a fair weather rider who only did about a thousand miles a year and paid to have it fully serviced and valeted at every MOT. It's got all it's history and receipts going back to day one, new tyres, new chain and sprockets, scottoiler, alarm / immobiliser, stainless 4 into 2 system and still looks pretty much shiny and new... not bad for £900 Laughing

https://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u587/mjs1066/20130629_143526_zpsa842be0b.jpg

Anyway, I rode it home the long way, did about a hundred miles and now it seems either the battery is toast, it's not charging properly or maybe the alarm has killed it off? The clocks light up, the horn works etc buts there's not enough juice to start the engine although it bumps easily.

Anyway, I took the battery out and the voltage was reading 12.12 so it's on charge now... I also dug out my spare battery for the CB500 which was reading a healthy 12.90 despite having been forgotten about under the kitchen sink for months. Can anyone tell me if these batteries are the same? They are exactly the same size but have different markings... the one on the left is from the ZZR, the right from the CB:

https://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u587/mjs1066/20130629_194200_zps368b9fd1.jpg

Also, what should I do if it turns out to be a problem with the charging system and not just a knackered battery? Is it an easy fix? Don't mind losing the alarm if need be!

Cheers,
-Mark

Last edited by _mjs_ on 09:42 - 30 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 29 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

one on the left is 12 ah and the one on the right is 9, basically the 12 one is more "powerful" the 9 would do for now tho just wouldn't crank it for as long.
Get it on and check the voltage at the terminals with the bike running, lights on etc should be over 12.6 above idle speed
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:52 - 29 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Check that the battery is charging on the bike. The ZZR does need a fairly healthy battery to run (found with our that even when jump started it would die if the jump leads we removed once running unless the battery was half decently charged).

All the best

Keith

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:41 - 30 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I charged the battery overnight and the multimeter was showing 13.3 volts straight from the charger.

Stuck it back in the bike and it fired up fine and the voltage with the engine at idle flutuated between 13.5-13.9 volts.

When holding the revs at 5k rpm the voltage fluctuated rapidly between 12.5 and 15.9 volts.

Does this mean the rec/reg is doing what it should? I'm waiting on the postman to bring me a Haynes manual so don't have the exact info, just a few general internet guides.

I've got a few errands to run today so will be stopping and starting fairly often. If the bike stops firing up off the button is it just a case of getting a new battery? I've heard it's possible for a battery to charge but not 'hold' it's charge and just slowly drain throughout the day.

I'm no good with electics so wondering if there's anything else I should be checking!

Cheers,
-Mark

Cashhead
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:46 - 30 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know huge amounts about this but I would suggest it shouldn't be fluctuating that much, should be fairly consistant I would think. Also 15.9v is pretty high.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:02 - 30 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

15.9V is a bit high, while 12.5V is too low at those revs. Does sound like the regulator / rectifier unit is dead (well, the regulator part of it). Whether the battery has survived the experience is another question (same if you have heated grips on there).

All the best

Keith

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 30 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the reg/rec is suspect too. Be careful or you will end up killing the battery off.

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:59 - 30 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, just got back from a busy day out and about on the bike and it's been starting up just fine... even when giving the starter a good hammering after finding out how many miles I can get before switching to reserve (conked out just as the lights went green at a set of traffic lights too Embarassed)

I've decided just to keep an eye on it for now and when I get a service manual test the reg/rec to the proper specs... It was a bit tricky trying to hold two probes on the battery and rev the bike at the same time. Plus I think the cheap multimeter was struggling a little, will get a quality one beforehand.

Frankly, I'm more worried about giving the scarily bad brakes a good overhaul before doing anything else Laughing

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 30 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking ZZR that too mate, lil tip if you run out of fuel or its stood for a while, you can prime the carbs by pressing the starter button while in 1st gear with ign on, it won' work the starter but you will hear the pump clicking away priming the carbs up Thumbs Up
Get some nissan calipers from a CBR Honda it is the single best mod I have done to mine (google it!!).
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:10 - 01 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeed wrote:
Nice looking ZZR that too mate, lil tip if you run out of fuel or its stood for a while, you can prime the carbs by pressing the starter button while in 1st gear with ign on, it won' work the starter but you will hear the pump clicking away priming the carbs up Thumbs Up
Get some nissan calipers from a CBR Honda it is the single best mod I have done to mine (google it!!).

Cheers Jim I'm well pleased with it, it's easily the most tidy bike I've ever had and sounds sweet with the twin exhausts. Think I got a bargain for £900 Laughing Here's a better pic:

https://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u587/mjs1066/20130701_073710_zps1c6e579a.jpg

Will any old CBR Nissins fit or is it a specific year? Would I need new brakelines if I swapped the brakes? It's got newish looking Goodridge lines fitted at the minute, would be a shame to bin them.

The only other thing I don't like are the mirrors... can't see bugger all in them except my elbows. Do you know of a way to extend or swap them for something a bit more useful?

-Mark

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 01 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some CBR Nissins on it, you just need some jacketed bolts because the Tokicos are M10 and Nissins are M8 (IIRC). I didn't change my lines just plugged them in.

Does sound like your reg/rec mine did the same when I got it. I bought mine from a fairweather rider I bet that's what kills them off (I don't have a clue how just pure made up science).

Bunged a new (to me) reg/rec in and it's been fine ever since

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:30 - 01 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
I got some CBR Nissins on it, you just need some jacketed bolts because the Tokicos are M10 and Nissins are M8 (IIRC). I didn't change my lines just plugged them in.

Does sound like your reg/rec mine did the same when I got it. I bought mine from a fairweather rider I bet that's what kills them off (I don't have a clue how just pure made up science).

Bunged a new (to me) reg/rec in and it's been fine ever since

Cheers for that info, I'll have a look about for some Thumbs Up

I saw your post about putting a Hagon shock in, was it worth the money?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 01 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

_mjs_ wrote:
Cheers for that info, I'll have a look about for some Thumbs Up

I saw your post about putting a Hagon shock in, was it worth the money?

I managed to get it second hand for £100. Very much worth the money but mine is a 95 so it might be a bit more worn that what yours is. Mine sagged a lot and just wallowed after any bump. Now it's firmer and a lot more confidence inspiring. Set up with a "hmm that feels ok" deal and yeah it was good. So I got some Nissins off a seller on ebay who had rebuilt them and freshly painted them gold, along with some jacketed bolts, have a look out.
Think it cost me £125. Possibly £225 made my bike totally different and better
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 347 days between these two posts...

Kic747
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: ZZR600E Charging problem Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

my girlfriends ZZR600E (1998) has a charging issue. I have opened up and cleaned all connectors but discovered that after a while the charge to the battery (meter across the battery drops down to 4V. This is woth a new battery. I am hoping that this is due to the stator perhaps dropping a winding and also perhaps because this in turn has hurt the regulator. It charges fine for a while and perhaps due to heat drops right off.
Anyone else had this?
The bike was running until it got mighty wet in a prolonged horrendous rain storm. Hence I have opened up all connectors and cleaned all connectors including handlaebar switch asseblies and under the air box.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys, New to the forum...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1