Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

will make sense soon Wink

Ahhh TEF is someone!!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:
He was also an instructor for quite a few years.

in that case, I'll rephrase it:

Your colleague is an idiot who should know better Wink

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:43 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap helmets are ok they pass the same tests as the more expensive ones most of the time your just paying for a name

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
cheap helmets are ok they pass the same tests as the more expensive ones most of the time your just paying for a name

Yeah same as in the cycling industry. But I think the point raised was finding parts and replacements as well as the coming with visors and the quality of padding for comfort.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:57 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

I can’t say I agree with this, having gone from a £50 Nitro to a £300+ HJC. The difference was night and day in terms of comfort, weight, ventilation, aerodynamics, noise, build, etc...you get the point!

Ironically, the Nitro was a 5* SHARP (which is why I bought it) yet the HJC is only a 3*. There’s a lot more to it than what the stars suggest though, but I won’t derail the thread any further! However, if you plan on lying down on your side whilst someone drops an anvil on your head, I’d wear the Nitro.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:01 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoteric thread called, Ah'm oot.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:15 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Esoteric thread called, Ah'm oot.

Esoteric is a synonym for Arcane.

Are you suggesting he’s made a return?

Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:34 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
where tef ?????

Well we're a few posts in, so probably STILL writing out his reply

Nope
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:

Iv been a cyclist for years now and I was told from a few people that its kind of the same, but I really dont think it is, its a weird feeling but im hoping that once I can get out on the proper road and get up to speed it wont be so awkward or twitchy.

So I just wanted to say hi and I think thats it.

Cheers.

Well, assuming you ride a bicycle a fair distance, not just to the shops and back...

then, there will be some transferabble skills.

If you time trial, or do sportives, you (hopefully!) don't head down race, or stare at the bit of road just in front of your wheel, you look into the distance. You look around corners, and read the road, looking for potholes, and hazards, and anticipate what other road users are going to be doing.

You've probably got used to looking over your shoulder to see what traffic is doing, and developed a 6th sense about what vehicles approaching you from behind are up to, and you'll be used to impatient road users cutting you up, and don't wobble about or panic or react when it does happen.

So that road sense will come in useful at least.

You'll make your own mind up about protective gear, but I don't wear all the gear all the time, I regularly exceed 30mph on a bicycle, so I only put a jacket etc on when I ride a motorbike if I'm leaving town.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Well, assuming you ride a bicycle a fair distance, not just to the shops and back...

then, there will be some transferabble skills.

If you time trial, or do sportives, you (hopefully!) don't head down race, or stare at the bit of road just in front of your wheel, you look into the distance. You look around corners, and read the road, looking for potholes, and hazards, and anticipate what other road users are going to be doing.

You've probably got used to looking over your shoulder to see what traffic is doing, and developed a 6th sense about what vehicles approaching you from behind are up to, and you'll be used to impatient road users cutting you up, and don't wobble about or panic or react when it does happen.

So that road sense will come in useful at least.

Yeah I use to commute 28 miles into london and 28 back out again, that with years of endurance riding and AUDAXing as well as tandom riding and racing has definitely given those skills of always looking ahead at the road surface and oncoming traffic.

Quote:

You'll make your own mind up about protective gear, but I don't wear all the gear all the time, I regularly exceed 30mph on a bicycle, so I only put a jacket etc on when I ride a motorbike if I'm leaving town.

I was thinking that as well about riding gear, obviously I will get proper bike trousers, boots helmet gloves jacket and all that, but for those enjoyable potters around the country lanes I was thinking whats so different about being on a bicycle in Lycra?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2