Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never bothered with lights during the day, that changed when I bought a
newer bike like my CBF500, I could of fitted a switch so I could turn them
off but I wasn't about to screw around with wiring.

I personally don't get the advantage of lights on during daylight hours.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:29 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my bikes have lights auto on, but even in the car I have dipped beam on permanently.

DRLs need to be banned however, excessively bright with no directionality and leads to people believing their lights are on (because the dash is illuminated) but displaying no tail lights in the dark/fog.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Both my bikes have lights auto on, but even in the car I have dipped beam on permanently.

DRLs need to be banned however, excessively bright with no directionality and leads to people believing their lights are on (because the dash is illuminated) but displaying no tail lights in the dark/fog.

My Grannymobile C Max has instrument lights on permanently irrespective of any external lights being on. It's caught me out a couple of time when getting in the car at night in a well illuminated area.

Stupid idea. What was wrong with dash lights when you turned on your main lights.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely been an increase in cars looming at you in thick fog over the moors - with only daytime running lights.
Quite a few now have auto lights and some owners likely assume they are on but in spring daytime sea fog it's too bright to trigger them.

Sometimes you are trying to get out of a junction and first see lights from a car behind the *invisible* silvery one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:27 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to switch off my lights during the daytime, but all of my bikes have DRLs apart from the KR1S which pretty much stays in the garage anyway.

And my 2p worth:

Moonzoomer you have no clue what you're talking about so you may as well shut up now to prevent further embarrassment.

For those who don't know what to believe: Yes, some types of battery work best when discharged and then fully charged. These are generally the types of battery that are *likely* to be discharged completely, IE the ones that actually power items completely, e.g. phones, remote controls, model cars, tablets, handheld games or whatever. Generally you name it, and the battery is like that.

However, automotive batteries (that includes everything from bikes to cars to trucks to aircraft) which are constantly charged, are generally designed to be constantly kept at a high level of charge. If you used the wrong sort of battery for the wrong application you'd be in trouble, IE if your phone used a constant charge battery you'd need to keep it permanently plugged in else you'd lose capacity when it discharged. If you used a discharging battery in a car you'd blow the thing up from overcharging it.

If you discharge a bike or car battery too far you will do permanent and irreperable damage to it, that even the 'desulphate' option on your Optimate won't fix. This is why bikes often need a new battery after a winter in the garage, as they are designed for continuous charging and lose charge when not in use.

Lightweight lithium ion batteries used for performance enchancement on bikes contain special circuitry that correctly regulates the charging and discharging of the battery. I'm not sure if you could continuously charge them without this 'smart' element, but nevertheless it's there, because without proper management a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery is a liability. As anyone who is into radio controlled models will probably tell you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'd like to switch off my lights during the daytime, but all of my bikes have DRLs apart from the KR1S which pretty much stays in the garage anyway.

And my 2p worth:

Moonzoomer you have no clue what you're talking about so you may as well shut up now to prevent further embarrassment.

and my 2p worth, my bike (KDX 200) has a Ni-cad battery (4AH) which is a non automotive battery fitted into the airbox simply because that is the only place to put it, I have fitted a larger single phase generating coil (35 watt) and a reg/rec for charging purposes as the bike only ever had wind up lights with no battery. Since Ni-cad batteries benefit from a full charge/discharge to eliminate the memory effect inherent with this type of battery I would suggest you shut up to prevent yourself further embarrassment.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
my bike (KDX 200) has a Ni-cad battery (4AH) which is a non automotive battery fitted into the airbox simply because that is the only place to put it,

Lol.

You could put your tools in there too, maybe a spare bottle of oil?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
MarJay wrote:

And my 2p worth:

and my 2p worth, my bike (KDX 200) has a Ni-cad battery (4AH) which is a non automotive battery fitted into the airbox simply because that is the only place to put it, I have fitted a larger single phase generating coil (35 watt) and a reg/rec for charging purposes as the bike only ever had wind up lights with no battery. Since Ni-cad batteries benefit from a full charge/discharge to eliminate the memory effect inherent with this type of battery I would suggest you shut up to prevent yourself further embarrassment.

You initial comment that has sparked this amazement at your verbal diarrhoea made no reference to ni-cads or any other exotics.

moonzoomer wrote:
Always ride with lights on, saves the battery, alternator and reg/rec from cooking/overcharging, a bulb is cheap to replace, the previous not so cheap.

and

moonzoomer wrote:
I mean replacement cost of a battery, bottom coils, reg/rec is a lot more expensive than a bulb and/or that using an alternator for its purpose is easier on the battery and the reg/rec in the long run, batteries last a lot longer if they are discharged as well as charged and a constantly fully charged battery will give a reg/rec a harder time . Pointless using your petrol to generate sparks that are going to be sent to ground and wasted in the form of heat.

As 99.9% of riders ride with a manufacturer installed lead acid set up they would think you were talking about that system, and the above is utter bollox in that case.

To quote sickpup. HTH Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:40 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:

That doesn't contradict anything I said, because basically you're using a battery which is unsuitable for automotive use. You even say it here, that it's a non-automotive battery!

Plus, Ni-Cd went out with the dinosaurs, mate. Forgive me if I don't believe you, especially as it's in your airbox.

You'll find no embarrassment here. Maybe in your class where you should probably be concentrating on your year 8 relationship studies rather than trolling adults on these forums. Go back to work and let us continue our thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:04 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to doubt anyone’s truthfulness.

Some people are daft enough to put a NiCad battery in their airbox!

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:34 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My light is always on and I'm not dead, proof it works FACT

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:

From the neck down, at least. Wub

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:

I've only owned 1 car (volvo) that had the lights on constantly, I never had an accident in that, all my other vehicles didn't and I've never had an accident in them either.

When I had the VFR and CBR one of the forum members borrowed the CBR and I got a call later that day to say that the lights weren't working and they had to ride home with the Pass button pressed.... just as I was about to go round and see what the problem was he called back to say that he had found the light switch Confused

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it won't guarantee that you'll be seen with your headlights on in the daytime, I do think it helps you to be noticed sooner.

I've certainly seen a motorcycles light in my mirror before I've seen the bike.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:08 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:

Did that prevent an accident?

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:12 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

what about riding around with high beams Shocked not that I do it but always wondered if would make you more visible. friend of mine rides with high beams as he doesn't like the single bulb on the double-light housing as he thinks it looks weird and seems to think alot more people see him coming, wouldn't this drain the battery with city riding?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
what about riding around with high beams Shocked not that I do it but always wondered if would make you more visible. friend of mine rides with high beams as he doesn't like the single bulb on the double-light housing as he thinks it looks weird and seems to think alot more people see him coming, wouldn't this drain the battery with city riding?

It's not a good idea as you can still dazzle people even in daylight and it makes it difficult to judge distances.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

Did that prevent an accident?

Of course not.

My point being that it was more visible, which could prevent an accident.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

some thing smells a bit Arcaney here lol!

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
some thing smells a bit Arcaney here lol!

this is a popcorn thread,,
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2