Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where do you store your bike chain and/or disc locks?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine (2) somewhere on the garage floor. Embarassed

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone wrote:
Oxford chain!!!

I did add a proviso in anticipation, but tell me why Oxford deserves such specific derision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford chains have the reputation they do because their owners don't know why they've got such a bad reputation.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

an oxford chain is so bad it can be cut with a pair of plastic scissors sold by hobby craft https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/safety-scissors/571838-1000

The quality of the metal in the oxford chain is of the same quality metal that is used on cheap no brand name chains sold on ebay for less than £10 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-9M-Security-Metal-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Bicycle-Heavy-Duty-Chain-Lock-Padlock/183020540171?hash=item2a9cdfd10b:g:HCMAAOSw4shYBeYU

If thats all one can afford then that was that i guess

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
an oxford chain is so bad it can be cut with a pair of plastic scissors

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/tested-oxford-monster-xl-chain-and-padlock-review

Bolt cropper attack: Unbroken – GOOD

Sledge hammer attack: Unbroken – GOOD

Angle grinder attack: 17 seconds – AVERAGE

As opposed to Pragmasis:
Bolt cropper attack: Unbroken – GOOD

Sledge hammer attack: 3 minutes 32 seconds – AVERAGE

Angle grinder attack: 17.9 seconds – AVERAGE

Still, the Oxford is derided and the Pragmasis is lauded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry oxford is lying!!

uncroppable?
my ass who they got using the bolt croppers?
my a child of 5yrs old who is still to do this immense task?

use oxford products at your own peril ill stick with almax and pragmasis Thumbs Up

nothing can withstand the angle grinder, it breaths fire like deathwing the dragon from world of warcraft!

bennets are about as reliable with their findings as the sold secure and thatcham approved labels are (both full of bollocks from my personal experience)

Last edited by woo on 19:49 - 23 Oct 2023; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
as the sold secure and thatcham approved labels are (both full of bollocks from my personal experience)

Tell us more.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:15 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
sorry oxford is lying!!

That's Bennetts' doing an independent test, not Oxfraud. And it's their "monster" ~14mm chain, not the novelty purpose 10/12mm ones.

woo wrote:
bennets are about as reliable with their findings as the sold secure and thatcham approved labels are (both full of bollocks from my personal experience)

Your personal experience with the exact product that they tested?

What specific issues do you have with that review of that product?

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no evidence to back up my claims other than my oxford chains have been bolt cropped in that past bearing in mind they were not 14mm oxford chains

if using oxford chains works for you then go for it but id rather spend my money on pragmais or almax

id rather give the right to police officers and general public to be allowed to potato bike theifs on sight no trial needed but we havent evolved there yet as a human species to allow that lol

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thatcham test is 5 mins against "hand tools". The 4 foot long bolt cutter in the Almax videos is at the extreme of portability.

https://www.brainyquote.com/photos_tr/en/a/archimedes/101761/archimedes1-2x.jpg

I'm not sure they were as eager in their efforts to break their own chain either.

Also ductility and brittleness are opposites so you trade one off against the other, meaning a cutter-resistant chain may shatter more easily when hit with a sledgehammer.

Still, like I said, if they really want it they'll take it and perhaps they'll target the bike with the Oxford security rather than the neighbouring Almax/Pragmasis-protected bike. Whether you think that's due to expert knowledge or marketing hype is up to you.

I like alarms too, but many strongly disagree.

woo wrote:
potato on sight

Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:29 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
id rather give the right to police officers and general public to be allowed to potato bike theifs on sight no trial needed but we havent evolved there yet as a human species to allow that lol

You're allowed to kill someone in self defence.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 disc locks under my seat. The reason I have 3 are:

1 is a xena x1 which looks pretty weak, but was bought especially as it fits my rear disc.

2 is a random no name mini u lock type. This is my one for the rear sprocket. It was bought for £4 along with a bad chain from tk maxx.

3 is the only one that will put up a fight (forgetting grinders). It's the kryptonite new york disc lock.

I may get another kryptonite for the rear sprocket so I can have at least 1 decent disc lock on each wheel.

I've also got an almax series 3 for the rear wheel. Carrying of this is done in a top box, but tbh it strains the mounting points on my 9R.

I suspect the best disc locks are made by abus, but you're probably better having multiple ok ones rather than 1 good one, as they'll just cut that disc instead if it's easier.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:58 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said this before and i say it again.

Almax ect are a waste of money.

I would rather have 2 oxford monsters and a pair of disc locks than an Almax. I got a load of chains free just by removing the abandoned ones from the bike locking rail at my work.

In the age of high power portable grinders and electric croppers bike locks are just a visual deterrent.
To that end, spray the chain neon yellow. Make it bright easy to see.

EG. Byklyf fuckwit and his mate rock up on a ped. Out comes the grinder. What are they gonna target. The bike with a single chain they can cut off in 30 seconds and be away. Or the bike with two chains plus disc locks that they will have to spend about 5 mins fucking about with to remove them all.

If they want it, they will have it. But if you make it more hassle than its worth to them they will move on to an easier target usually.

Also, if possible park next to the XYZ latest model super bike. Yours will be fucking invisible then.Its shit, but its the country we live in.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
I would rather have 2 oxford monsters and a pair of disc locks than an Almax. I got a load of chains free just by removing the abandoned ones from the bike locking rail at my work.

You stole chains, without the key, and now use them for security?

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:35 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAMMOTH-THATCHAM-DISC-LOCK-SECURITY/dp/B008R5V2PM (although the oxford version) on my bikes for the last 13 years living and commuting in london.

I parked on the street in SW18 when at home and leave my bike in the bike park on the road in W1 when at work.

My bike has never been nicked. I find the best security is to always make sure your bike is not the best in the bay or on the hit list of thieves. Carrying all the extra shit around for extra security would piss me off more than having my bike nicked.

I did see about 5 bikes get lifted in one go from the bike park at work. They were loaded in to the back of a van and they fucked off before the police could get there. As this is in Westminster where they have about 2 bays with ground anchors even if I had 2 disc locks and 3 chains on my bike if they wanted it it would have still gone.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:45 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the argument of make sure your bike isn't the best etc... so shall I just leave it at home? I bought it because it looks fucking sick and is well fast m8. Whats the fucking point of having it but not parking somewhere because yours is nicer, I'd never park Razz

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:51 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Using the argument of make sure your bike isn't the best etc... so shall I just leave it at home? I bought it because it looks fucking sick and is well fast m8. Whats the fucking point of having it but not parking somewhere because yours is nicer, I'd never park Razz

Then enjoy riding your fast as fuck bike loaded up with 6 tonne of steel to protect it. Laughing

I totally get your point but I do see some bikes in my bike park that if I had I would be leaving at home and buying a hack to commute on. Just like I would not wear a Rolex round Moss Side.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:43 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
They were loaded in to the back of a van and they fucked off before the police could get there.

Anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 weeks then?

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
[It's OK to take other people's things if you think they're not being used]

Presumably you're sanguine about the prospect of someone putting your bike back into use if you abandon it for more than 8 hours.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:51 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I totally get your point but I do see some bikes in my bike park that if I had I would be leaving at home and buying a hack to commute on. Just like I would not wear a Rolex round Moss Side.

I don't take chains with me, its all moot as I'd just replace if it was stolen, but I'm not gonna buy a second bike, 2 MOTs, 2 lots of insurance just because baklaf.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:49 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

You stole chains, without the key, and now use them for security?

Hard to steal something that has been there for years. I asked the boss if i could have them, he said they were only there because no one could be bothered cutting them off.
You think a chain is "security". Thats amusing.
My DeWalt cordless angle grinder is the key to any chain. Seriously i stopped considering my bikes safe about 8 years ago with the rise of battery powered grinders and croppers.

Rogerborg wrote:

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
[It's OK to take other people's things if you think they're not being used]

Or maybe being i work there (as i stated in the post), i know that they have been abandoned.A little common sense goes a long way.
There is also a bike bay in the town center with a ground anchor jammed with chains that have been abandoned by people who have lost the keys.Its not uncommon.

TLDR Chains are shit. Modern tools are ridiculously effective & people rely too much on brand claims about their products.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

with that outlook you may as well leave your keys in your bike and a cream cake on the seat lol!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
Hard to steal something that has been there for years. I asked the boss if i could have them, he said they were only there because no one could be bothered cutting them off.

It was written in an ironic sense -- in as much as something you can cut is now, potentiality, being used to secure an item -- but your back against the wall response has me raising an eyebrow and laughing at the same time.

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
You think a chain is "security". Thats amusing.

And to you they're considered what?

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:32 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As opposed to what ?. There isnt a motorcycle lock on the market that a grinder with a decent cutting disc wont make short work of.

A chain is a deterrent at best.I have seen a chained up bike go in under a min far too many times to remotely think of a bit of chain as security, and thats if they dont just pull up in a van and physically lift it off the street.

I made the mistake of thinking that a few locks can keep a bike safe in the past, not making that mistake again...These days the only real security is if you keep the bike physically inaccessible to the scum in the first place.
Even that is becoming harder with the rise of bike jackings in the street.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:14 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're back to parking next to a more desirable bike that's got less security than you use. Razz

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Looks like we're back to parking next to a more desirable bike that's got less security than you use. Razz

Or move area.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2