Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why do some Car Springs bulge outwards.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:57 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Why do some Car Springs bulge outwards. Reply with quote

Like this...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YOUAAOSwbw1Z-ynw/s-l300.jpg

Long story short I got back from 2 weeks at the TT (Write up to come if I find the time) and my car stanced itself in my Absence.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35078162_10156333003058476_81256486273024000_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=06b0daf30547bdec3d55ba4685c08e29&oe=5BAA4715

Taking it apart reveals

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35102516_10156333230443476_3842240771923116032_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=823a6c22801274bb3234b254076bb6d8&oe=5BB2454F

To me this design seems absurd, when it fails will always lead to catastrophic failure. Had I been driving it could I have ripped the brake line, the tyre etc.

A 'normal' straight spring would fail far better. So what is the benefit of the bulgy spring? To me it just seems dangerous. Also they are more difficult to put on with peasant spring compressors because the edge of the spring fowls the thread on the compressor.

Also Ford struts are a PITA to remove, the bottom is pressed/clamped into the hub which take some leatehring to remove and is fiddly to put back my missus Fiat 500 is just 2 bolts!

Last edited by chris-red on 12:41 - 14 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be so that when compressed, successive coils sit over rather than against each other, increasing the amount of available travel for a set stiffness and damper length - hence the term coil 'overs'.

Over to the motorsport and Kar Parc Kruzer fraternity........

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:36 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Why do some Card Springs bulge outwards. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Progressive spring, it's designed to be compliant over bumps but not bottom out under high load because racecar.

Beats me why they don't seem to care about what happens when spring fails, because it's not an unusual occurrence. I guess nobody cares until someone important dies (or lots of plebs).

I came out one morning to find my C3 had snapped both front springs overnight. On querying this with Citroen, they admitted that among the 65 VOSA/DVSA issues for that model, "In the exceptional event of a spring breaking there could be a risk of the spring making contact with the vehicle tyre. Remedial Action: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and fit a suspension cup to each side of the front suspension."

Which to be fair, they then did, and replaced the springs even though it was out of warranty. Except it wasn't "exceptional", it continued to snap a spring every couple of years until I finally, blessedly, got shot of it.

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently my coil-over bit is bollocks, just means Coil goes Over the shock Embarassed

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could well be a clearance thing too, narrow at the top to make for a smaller suspension turret, and smaller at the bottom to allow the strut body to sit closer to the wheel without the lower half of the spring fouling the tyre

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe should have a rubber bump-stop as well as the spring. Then if the spring breaks the rubber will prevent Armageddon/WWIII.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Could well be a clearance thing too, narrow at the top to make for a smaller suspension turret, and smaller at the bottom to allow the strut body to sit closer to the wheel without the lower half of the spring fouling the tyre

This is the reason I had in mind.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1