Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front sproket wear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:14 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Front sproket wear Reply with quote

Hi, got around to clean my bike chain and sprokets, and I noticed that on the front one, the teeth seems to lean on one side... Now I am not an expert, but I do not think it should look that way...
Maybe it's time to change it? The top of the teeths seems to be ok with not much wear.
Bike is a Honda CBF600-SA 2006 at just over 26000 miles.
Got it second hand so not sure when the last chain/sproket replacement was done.
It also needs a service, so maybe I should ask the mechanic to change chain& sprokets too?

I guess it'll be cheaper if I buy the chain/sproket my self and give them to the mechanic?

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a normal sprocket tooth profile.

It looks brand spanking too.

The teeth are 'tapered' on the sides at the tooth tips to help the chain side-plates engage properly.

EDIT: Stop what you are doing right now and get some chain lube on that chain.

The chain and sprockets are parts of the transmission. They need lubrication just like the gears in the gearbox do

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd respectfully disagree. The teeth on that sprocket look slightly hooked to me.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real need to change the chain and sprocket kit unless you don't have much adjustment left... leave well alone.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'd respectfully disagree. The teeth on that sprocket look slightly hooked to me.

I agree, 2nd look I noticed that. And the brake/break-cleaner residue.

Rolling Eyes

Still needs lubed but.. 😂

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, the chain seems to have sunk into the teeth rather than the usual hook them over. I'd say the chain still has life but the sprocket needs to be changed. If the chain was badly stretched the teeth would be hooking, but they are not.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sprocket lacks a bit of welding. Shocked Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:08 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MCN I did lubed it after the photo used some Wurth dry lube, and some on the brakes too JK Smile

@Skudd "That sprocket lacks a bit of welding" what you mean?
Or I missed a joke? Embarassed Sorry English is not my main language.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:16 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to change one sprocket, change both, and the chain.

Putting a new sprocket on with an old one will cause general - fast - "adjustment".

Edit: What you have is worn and hooked. Replace the lot.

Last edited by WmY on 23:08 - 15 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sprocket is worn and nearly hooked, also the pic looks up side down or the sprocket has been turned over?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
That sprocket is worn and nearly hooked, also the pic looks up side down or the sprocket has been turned over?

I thought that too, but after studying it I came to the conclusion that it's the teeth that are under-cut.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be looking to replace the front sprocket at least. Depending on the condition of the chain and rear sprocket would determine whether I'd replace the lot.

If it's still smooth and chain and rear sprocket are not far off I'd say you'd be fine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:13 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pete. That sprocket is pocketing on the drive side of the teeth. I think it must be made of highly inferior steel/alloy. It's not a honda one.

I'm a real fan of using OEM sprockets on road bikes. Especially Honda ones. The front ones are always a much better fit and come with rubber noise dampers fitted. They are sometimes even cheaper than a pattern one.

You want part number: 23801MV9900 Should be about £20.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or simply buy a JT front sprocket, they have the rubber doofer like the Honda.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:29 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bit peculiar, but I'd say there's life left in it even if it is Chinesium.

Then again, I did ride my last front sprocket until a tooth snapped off, so perhaps I'm not the best judge. But if you replace a front sprocket every time it shows any sort of wear, you'll need to keep a stack of them to hand like Pringles.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
That is a bit peculiar, but I'd say there's life left in it even if it is Chinesium.

Then again, I did ride my last front sprocket until a tooth snapped off, so perhaps I'm not the best judge. But if you replace a front sprocket every time it shows any sort of wear, you'll need to keep a stack of them to hand like Pringles.

I never thought to use a Pringle as a Front Sprocket. Idea

I had the misfortune of inheriting a 600 that someone had fitted a Renthal Rear Sprocket to. The beast became almost unmanageable after about two months.
On investigation I found the chain had minced it's way through the anodized teeth and was munching towards the wheel hub. Embarassed
A new chain and sprockets were procured and fitted.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I had the misfortune of inheriting a 600 that someone had fitted a Renthal Rear Sprocket

I fucking hate Alu sprockets - why in the name of fuck do you put a metal that wears easily on anything other than a racebike that will have it changed out before it gets any real wear, Because the colour matches your leathers? Handbag & shoes? Fucking tarts. It has no place on your commuter, get it the fuck off and stop being a spacktard.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
MCN wrote:

I had the misfortune of inheriting a 600 that someone had fitted a Renthal Rear Sprocket

I fucking hate Alu sprockets - why in the name of fuck do you put a metal that wears easily on anything other than a racebike that will have it changed out before it gets any real wear, Because the colour matches your leathers? Handbag & shoes? Fucking tarts. It has no place on your commuter, get it the fuck off and stop being a spacktard.

No, but what do you really think? Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes even steel sprockets aren't strong enough...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Sometimes even steel sprockets aren't strong enough...

At that point, you're talking very large lumps with forced induction, probably some gas as well.

I would like to see what it would do to an Alu sprocket though, just for shits and giggles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1