Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The dangers of motorcycling.....?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:30 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: The dangers of motorcycling.....? Reply with quote

Hello all Smile so, as some of you may be aware I'm a few days away from mod 1 and getting excited now, very much looking forward to getting some riding in!

Now obviously I've been getting the standard "be careful" "ride safely" "you'll die" "it's not you it's other drivers" which tbh there is an argument there, people really do drive like imbeciles.

I've been watching (quite morbid, I know) a lot of crash footage. Which as dark as you may think, I actually believe it helps. Seeing the actions and behaviours that lead to these kind of collisions and I see a recurring theme- in the vast, vast majority of cases I've seen, yes the car driver was at fault.

However, it also seems that in most of these cases the rider put themselves in a position to be affected by someone's poor judgement or lack of skill/awareness. Whether that be riding too fast, assuming someone will see you, filtering too fast etc.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is how much of the supposed "dangers of motorcycling" can actually be mitigated by proper defensive riding, constantly assuming worst case scenario and riding as if you are invisible and everyone wants you dead...?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: The dangers of motorcycling.....? Reply with quote

The_west wrote:

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is how much of the supposed "dangers of motorcycling" can actually be mitigated by proper defensive riding, constantly assuming worst case scenario and riding as if you are invisible and everyone wants you dead...?

The danger of motorcycling is falling off. Don't fall off and you'll be fine.

Stick your hand down front of your pants, have a good rummage; if you locate some testicles just get stuck in. If you don't find a pair of spuds, give up and be done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: The dangers of motorcycling.....? Reply with quote

arry wrote:

The danger of motorcycling is falling off. Don't fall off and you'll be fine.

Yes, this. Motorcycling is fine, it's stopping motorcycling that can be hazardous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:22 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: The dangers of motorcycling.....? Reply with quote

Slightly less... idiomatically.

The_west wrote:
how much of the supposed "dangers of motorcycling" can actually be mitigated by proper defensive riding, constantly assuming worst case scenario and riding as if you are invisible and everyone wants you dead...?

Most.

Arrow SMIDSY weave.

Arrow Don't try and "make eye contact" unless you're actually stopped in traffic. Us social monkeys fool ourselves into thinking that a face girning in our general direction is trying to convey a message. It's possible that it's looking right through us though. It's the vehicle that'll hit you, so watch its front wheels. This is harden than you'd think to actually do, you'll need to make a conscious effort not to monkey around.

Arrow Ride well out in your lane. Approaching junctions, I ride nearly at the divider. It gives you more options.

Arrow Minimise time exposed to danger. This means don't sit right behind a car trying to get past (it can probably outbrake you) and when you start to go past, get past. Doubly so if you're doing some hooky undertake of an HGV driven by a KTM rider.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've smashed my tibia and fibula, and also had a brain injury.

On both occasions, I was nowhere near a motorcycle.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, had rectal bruising and a motorcycle had nothing to with it this time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:57 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them... is short answer.

There are folks on here that have been riding forty or more years,and are still alive and in one piece... a motor bike licence is not an express ticket to the Critical Care wing of local blood suckers.

Maxim to remember is "Safety is IN your head, not what you put ON it"

You cannot buy safety, only think it. Common sense, hazard awareness, and a keen sense of your own mortality, not crash hats leathers, hi~vis and airbag underwear!

Your observation that in crash clips, the biker almost always put themselves in a possition a crash could happen, and could have done 'something' is an acute one... in almost all crash scenarios they could... Cant say that every accident is avoidable, though, but, in an awful lot a lot could have been helped.

Old addage is to ride like they are ALL out to get you..... is I think unfair if not unreasonable.

Standards of driving are on the whole pretty dire, but I dont think there are all that many car drivers that want to kill bikers... except perhaps Jeramy Clarkson.... Rolling Eyes

They are, simply more concerned with thier little hermetically sealed world inside a box, and not so clued up on what's going on outside it; many dont drive thier own roads, subliminally they take thier queue from what the car imedietly infront is doing, and they brake when its brake lights come on, not when they have seen a corner coming....

This is actually so engrained, that I do wonder how many people follow other cars down off ramps at motorways, or round one way systems, playing follow my leader rather than actually driving for themselves.... Roger... can you find any stats on that?

Tendency to tailgate.... is another endemic issue; stand on a pavememt or grass verge somewhere and try count the gaps between cars and how many are anywhere near near the two second rule.... i doubt it will be many, and on a busy by pass or motorway, it is almost impossible to hold.... try it in a car! You leave a 2 second gap, and someone will jump into it, pretty quick!!!

For bikes, this is a problem new bikers will face, because not only will other traffic be inclined to tailgate them, on a bike, they will be watching the riders back... and not in the good way..... because its the largest and most recognisable 'plane' in thier vision. That shortens thier following distance by however much bike there is behind riders bum, for starters, then the gap they do leave, wont be as big as it should.... and new rider... now most used to driving a car before getting on a bike, sees the following car in thier mirrors, and the perspective is even more compressed because the mirrors are close to thier face, the angle higher, and they too, look not at 'car' in the mirror, but at the following drivers face.... which shrinks the gap by the length of car infront of the steering wheel, and it seems to the rider that the following car is even closer than it is.... and sense of vulnerability, lack of metal around them, tarmac in view beneath feet, magnifies more the 'feeling' that they are in danger, more that following driver is the one piutting them in it.

THEN... rider, (and many car drivers too} are intimidated by close following car..... Natural Hard Wiring of our brain, is that we DO NOT like things following us.... it's probably a T~Rex or a lion or something that wants to eat us..... so we tend to over inflate the danger of something behind... we cant see it so well, and it must be a predator...

And we can do daft things in the fight or flee reaction we naturally have to it.... and we start letting THAT obviouse and known danger of a close following car start influencing our actions more greatly than.... oh the traffic lights we are coming up to?!? diverting attension to them, and magnifying the percieved hazard even more, rather than thinking "OK, I have idiot behind, there's always an idiot behind... spotted this one... SO where are all the OTHERS? and wathcing out for the UNSEEN hazards that are likely a LOT more of one, especially if we are paying undue attention to one we have already spotted and are fixating over.

And you hear it a lot; "Well it was a 6o mph road, and I had this people carrier up my ass.. so I tried to go qo quicker to make some space between us..." {Particularly from folk riding 125's, esp chinky 125's that often wont go 6o}

THAT is the point that you are letting the OTHER DRIVER make YOUR decissions.... and if someone else if making them, they are in control, not you.... and that means long long before you might crash, you are OUT of control... you are not riding, you are letting someone else do your driving.... and they ent the one likely to get hurt by it.

Very hard to deal with... and theres no right or wrong answer; in that sort of scenario, the first thing is to recognise it, and just NOT let them influence what you do.... ride your own road, stuff~em.... "Yah but! they started weaving, and trying to get past, and REALLY riding on my number plate!!!"

Yes you can easily antagonise other drivers.... B~U~T key is recognising Not~My~Problem... and not making other drivers problems YOURS. which probably is the tricky bit....

But starts, staying in control, and that means before all else SELF control, not letting the red~mist rule, riding for frills, or being over cautious, riding like a granny, or letting other traffic unduly influence your thinking. think for yourself.... stay in control... SELF control.. ah Wax~hon, Wax~hoff, young gwass~hoppa....sort of stuff.

Both when dealing with the legion numpties already on our roads, but, also keeping the devil on your shoulder in check....

Big bit of the stats, IS made up by bikes, and a large chunk of those by the fact that biking attracts thrill seekers, and more these days, week~end warrior types, riding 'for fun' in thier leisure time, probably with another way to get to work, a lot of the natural inhibitors they might have to being soooo daft aleviated, and actively LOOKING for that adrenaline surge, on a bike, on public road.... so no wonder they have 'accidents' really.

But, keep that devil in check, keep your cool, ride your own road, no reason you should help them add to the stats really....

NO, it may not be 'fun'.... but then neither is fixing bent bikes, or getting them home, or peeling clingfilm off roadrash and leg hairs that grow under the glue, every other day down the clinnic..... Now WHY should THAT one spring so readily to mind? Rolling Eyes

So, yeah.... YOUR safety on a bike, IS so much down to you... and it IS possible to have a long and healthy riding carreer without too much incident... I you use your head, and dont just stick it in a plastic pot and think you have the matter covered. you keep your cool, you stay in control, you let neither the devil egg you on, or the angel make you paranoid, and you DO NOT let other people, in cars, or on forums, or anywhere else ride your bike for you.

Biggest danger on the roads.... is YOU.... do what you will with that nugget of notion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Biggest danger on the roads.... is YOU.... do what you will with that nugget of notion.

Well by time he's finished reading your post you'll have saved his life 20 times over.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:01 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: The dangers of motorcycling.....? Reply with quote

The_west wrote:

Most danger can be mitigated. Note (and many bikers don't like this): "it's not always someone else's fault". It is possible to ride in astupid manner.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I've . . . had a brain injury.

You've had a brain injury.

And yet you still live in Northampton. Thinking

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:02 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticipate the imbecilic behaviour from drivers not observing. Sometimes going faster than normal to put some distance between you and a retard is good practice. Know where the horn is and be prepared to use it to help defend your position.

Obs before manouvres. Don't ride in the gutter.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I've . . . had a brain injury.

You've had a brain injury.

And yet you still live in Northampton. Thinking

I'm king of the idiots Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:54 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Tbh I don't want to come across as arrogant, but I feel confident about being able to enjoy riding a motorcycle without going full potato.
I've been riding around on my 125 quite a lot and there's been a few near misses, from drivers being imbeciles, but like you say in all those situations I'd already kinda anticipated what was about to happen and reacted, whether that be slowing, changing road position, tooting the horn etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:39 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the advantages of 125s: they don't inculcate you with a sense of real ultimate power.

Just retain that attitude when you move onto a bigger bike, but add the knowledge that you can accelerate out of or through a tight spot a lot more sharply as well, and you should be fine.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:55 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had enough of being treated like herpes on wheels tbh

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the horn has been mentioned a couple of times.
I can't actually remember having used mine for what it's meant to be used for.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:11 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to hold mine on for 5-10 seconds yesterday when I was carved up at 50mph by an imbecile not observing or indicating on a dual carriageway. I had watched him start drifting and had already backed off the throttle. Since I have had the ybr I have only had 3 incidents of attempted smidsys, when I had the gpz I was on nerves all of the time they were a daily occurrence.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:15 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
Know where the horn is and be prepared to use it to help defend your position.

It is, AFAIK, OK to fit air horns, even to a 125....

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_west wrote:
Just had enough of being treated like herpes on wheels tbh

Fuck what other people think, your risk of dying decreases/increases in relation to the amount of adrenaline you seek. Which isn't to say that you'll kark it if you ride like Luke VFR nor that'll you'll live if you ride like Norman Normal.

Do my eyes deceive me or did Tef start off his wall of text with the words 'short answer'? Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:24 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

First fail, right there, before you have even got on the bike, you are letting other people make your riding decissions for you, not applying self control......

If you want a big bike, fair play... but do it because you want to, not because someone else does......

Plus, is it the 125 or an L~plate that's the issue here?

Many full licence holders ride learner legals for variouse reasons; for me the 'fun' in them is actually thier lack of performance, and a lot more than the shear excess of bigger bikes... for other's its the cheaps they can offer, for more, the simple fact that they dont beg being taken so seriousely.

Ridicule of little bikes is a predjudice that says more of the aspirations of the ridiculer and thier narrow horizons than it does of tiddler rider... 125's can go as fast as anything else is legally allowed on UK roads and break just as many speed limits and road laws, whilst facing just the same number of idiots and other road hazards, and without the comfort zone of mass to make bike more stable and less want to step out from under you whilst you do it.....

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:32 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only joking! Although it's definitely true, people's attitudes towards that big red L are different than to other road users.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I use the one on my boat more than I ever use the one on my motorbike.

Most bike ones are crap anyway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:11 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Most bike [horns] are crap anyway.

I did have cause to use mine recently due to a lane changer.

Although it was on the Enfield and I've currently got the comedy "AROOGA" horn wired in, so it was more comical than castigating.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
recman wrote:

First fail, right there, before you have even got on the bike, you are letting other people make your riding decissions for you, not applying self control......

If you want a big bike, fair play... but do it because you want to, not because someone else does......

Plus, is it the 125 or an L~plate that's the issue here?

Many full licence holders ride learner legals for variouse reasons; for me the 'fun' in them is actually thier lack of performance, and a lot more than the shear excess of bigger bikes... for other's its the cheaps they can offer, for more, the simple fact that they dont beg being taken so seriousely.

Ridicule of little bikes is a predjudice that says more of the aspirations of the ridiculer and thier narrow horizons than it does of tiddler rider... 125's can go as fast as anything else is legally allowed on UK roads and break just as many speed limits and road laws, whilst facing just the same number of idiots and other road hazards, and without the comfort zone of mass to make bike more stable and less want to step out from under you whilst you do it.....

Thanks Tef.
My riding style usually includes everyone else going backwards but I'll bare all this in mind if I ever go back to a 125.
#weekendwarrior

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:06 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, skipped quote button!
should have been the herpes one!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2