Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fixed penalty notice for non endorsable offence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Fixed penalty notice for non endorsable offence Reply with quote

Can I avoid paying this?

Also how does enforcement of these work in the main land?

https://image.ibb.co/hUYGf8/20180611_214009.jpg

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non endorsable means the offence doesn't get added to your driving licence but I would suggest payment would be enforced ultimately leading to bailiffs. I would image the IOM share info with british police and in any event it won't be very hard for them to get High Court enforcement in Cardiff on your case*

* or another vicious firm.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:15 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what was it, a tiny plate?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:19 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could aways say you weren't riding it at the time....
I'd treat it like a fine in France. If you arent planning on going back at any point in the next 10 years I wouldn't worry about it. Iom isn't part of the British judicial system.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:27 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad

From looking at this, I would say that they would request your details.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad

They might well request your details but the chances of a British civil court agreeing that you owe the money is slim.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:

IoM isn't part of the EU. Wink

Tbh if happened 5+ years ago I'd suggest that you throw it in the bin and forget about it.

However, the UK and Manx courts have been getting cozier with each other in more recent times. For example, if you get a driving ban on the IoM, it now transfers to the UK as well, where as it never used to.

Also, although not vehicle related. A bloke from the IoM got fined by the litter squad (Kingdom) in Liverpool a little while back and it ended up in court with the bloke getting a hefty fine.

With the IoM not being part of the UK or EU it all comes down to what reciprocal agreements are currently in place and on that note, I'll have to say I haven't a clue.

If you do intend going back in the near future I'd advise you pay it or you could find that you'll be spending a little time at the Jurby Hilton and I ain't joking about that either.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pay it.
They still do Birching and Dipping on the IOM.

Wee No. Plates aye get the Ghey from the PoPo so what's the attraction for them?
There are far better (more 'manly') things to get a tug for. Rolling Eyes

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:04 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm this is what I thought. I guess I'll just pay it since I've already booked my ferry for next year Laughing oh well.

TbirdX wrote:

Yh and a bolt positioned to change its appearance. And the bit he didn't notice, (which is why I happily took the ticket and went) the bolt wasn't real... Just the head of a bolt superglued in the right place. Also the plate was velcro'd on Laughing 🤐

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:47 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What offence did you commit?

To be more specific, what offence under IoM law did you commit in the IoM by having a vehicle not registered in the IoM that wasn't displaying a plate of the prescribed size for vehicles registered in the IoM?

I ask because the IoM Licensing and Registration of Vehicles Act 2001, as amended by the Road Transport, Licensing and Registration (Amendment) Act 2018, on any reasonable interpretation could only apply to vehicles kept and registered on the IoM.

For the S12 offence (failure to exhibit) to apply, the vehicle would have to be subject to S11 (requirement to register and affix). Note that they've put the wrong number on it: 11-3 is the requirement to affix, but the offence itself is 12-1. However, this is helpful, because it means that they're explicitly asserting that Section 11 applies to your vehicle.

That's jive, because it means that they're saying that all vehicles present on the IoM must instantly be registered there and display IoM allocated VRMs as per S11, which is farcical. Every vehicle that rolls off the ferry is then committing an offence.

Put another way, if you turned up with some 3" x 2" Elbonian plate on it sporting Elbonian heiroglyphs that's perfectly valid in Elbonia, could the IoM do you because it doesn't meet their registration mark regulations?

No compromise with racists. FITE.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:38 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be read as not having a number plate at all? So what sort of number plate, if any, did the OP have?

If you don't pay it, they'll probably send you a summons which will give you an option of pleading guilty bypost or attending court to argue your case. If you don't attend, next time you set foot in the IOM, you'll be arrested for failure to appear when summonsed (not the original offence)

They did a mate of mine for going the wrong way up a one-way street on his scooter during the TT a few years back and that was the upshot, if he wanted to contest it, he was free to do so but he'd have to go back to the IOM to attend the hearing.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
Hmm this is what I thought. I guess I'll just pay it since I've already booked my ferry for next year Laughing oh well.

TbirdX wrote:

Yh and a bolt positioned to change its appearance. And the bit he didn't notice, (which is why I happily took the ticket and went) the bolt wasn't real... Just the head of a bolt superglued in the right place. Also the plate was velcro'd on Laughing 🤐

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/gchq-codebreakers-working-on-personalised-numberplates-2013100880154

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
FITE.

Well fuck me sideways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:25 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Could also be read as not having a number plate at all? So what sort of number plate, if any, did the OP have?

I had a very small single line plate with incorrect spacing and a bolt to change the look of a letter.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
I had a very small single line plate with incorrect spacing and a bolt to change the look of a letter.

Get a legal numberplate if you're not able to accept the consequences of a small numberplate, and glued on bolt heads to change your registration.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
the consequences

Come about through legality. The thread is debating the legality. The legality looks debatable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can add is - don't fuck with the IOM judicial system unless you're sure you'll win.

They throw people in jail for a pastime.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
All I can add is - don't fuck with the IOM judicial system unless you're sure you'll win.

They throw people in jail for a pastime.

Sure, but you can always appeal to... uh...

Hmm, good point.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:33 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
bluezedd wrote:
the consequences

Come about through legality. The thread is debating the legality. The legality looks debatable.

Yep, and you can debate it...

In the Isle of Mann.

Hmmm...

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:24 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

Get a legal numberplate if you're not able to accept the consequences of a small numberplate, and glued on bolt heads to change your registration.

Great intel Thumbs Up 10/10 input. Thank you. Really helpful. At what point do I insinuate I'm unable to deal with the consequences....?

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

Great intel Thumbs Up 10/10 input. Thank you. Really helpful. At what point do I insinuate I'm unable to deal with the consequences....?

BillyJ wrote:
Can I avoid paying this?

Right here when you're asking if you can avoid them....

All for the sake of a £60 non-endorsable ticket.

Perhaps you would have avoided it if you had a proper plate on the bike like I suggested, or avoid it happening again?

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:41 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

Right here when you're asking if you can avoid them....

All for the sake of a £60 non-endorsable ticket.

Perhaps you would have avoided it if you had a proper plate on the bike like I suggested, or avoid it happening again?

Not once have I said i don't deserve this ticket or I shouldn't have got it. I'm quite clearly taking the blame and am purely intrigued in the legalities of cross over between the isle of man and the main land regarding this ticket with the hope I can avoid paying it.

Again, at what point do I insinuate I'm unable to deal with the consequences....?

And what are you so worked up? Was it you who gave me the ticket?!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the legalities of it on the mainland, however as already mentioned, if you'd like to go back to the IOM and don't want to spend time in court, or in the cells, you need to pay it.
AIUI the IOM government has agreed to buy out the Steam Packet, so it will be even easier for them to check manifests, you can guarantee your name now has a marker against it.
The IOM have their own rules, should you return there without paying they will make your life exceedingly difficult.
Why would you want to do that for the sake of £60?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of £60 I couldn't be arsed with the hassle. It's a fair cop guv etc. Just pay the fine.

(Personally I see one liner plates as asking for it, as is gluing on bolt heads to alter it, good job the po-po was half blind)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1