BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre sealant.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:44 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Tyre sealant. Reply with quote

The boy had a puncture. Slow leak from "nail" in new back tyre on Kisbee 50cc scooter.

He's gone and put some sort of tyre sealant in nit.

I have not repaired a tyre that's had any sort of this stuff in before.

Is it possible to repair after the application of goo? What should I expect when taking the tyre off?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some goo.
I don't think it's particularly difficult to clean off, it's just messy and not something a tyre shop would want all over the floor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take nail out and leave stuff in. There is that small risk of it going flat but I have run a tyre with sealant in it to a bald finish. depends how big a puncture really but I swear by the stuff.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to a shop they will tell you,
"Aw we canny get oor patches tae stick tae the inside o' the tire eftir ye pit sealint in tae it."

If it was Ultraseal then pull the nail out and ride on.

The tire should be OK. So long as it is a clean wound.
There 'could' be 'difficulties' if there are a lot of cords damaged. I don't know if there will be a steel belt in the tire but the wires of the steel belt 'can' keep the wound from healing properly.

But so long as the 'correct' prescribed amount of sealant for the tire size was injected the tire should be fine.

It is important that the correct amount was used or the tire cannot balance the sealant.

Ultraseal is manufactured for hi-speed use so that is one of the benefits.

I use it, no problems.

It is worth mentioning to tire people when you get new tires fitted. Embarassed

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:23 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb questioon, but on a moped, would it actually have a tubless tyre?
Plenty of lightweight 125's still have tubes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:22 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Dumb questioon, but on a moped, would it actually have a tubless tyre?
Plenty of lightweight 125's still have tubes.

Yes, it's a tubeless tyre. I fitted it about a month ago (just before the main bearing issue.... Sad ). It's probably done about 150 miles....

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:28 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull it off, stick a tube in?
Only going to do 3o mph.....
Probably cheaper than a can of cloopyshit

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:09 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of cleaning it (or rather thinking of getting him to clean it) and then mending the puncture, since it's a decent tyre (Heidenau K58). To put a tube in is difficult due to the rim's shallow well, and the absence of valve hole.

I'm told the goo is "tyreweld", which according to a search "washes out of tyres easily after use", and is intended as a temporary fix.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireweld is a temporary fix to get you out of trouble. It will have to be repaired.
It is water soluble.
Nasty stuff.
If you can do he can do himself it's less embarrassing than arguing with tire people.
It is a bit of a cnut to was out. It's soluble but messy.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks. He'll be around tomorrow. I'll write up what happens....

He's got some "mushrooms" from a car boot sale, but no glue. Self-adhesive? Rubber solution? Evo-stik? Chewing gum? What's the glue for these things if they'er not self-adhesive?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:14 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New tyre is £37 delivered.

However, don't worry about goo. Deflate, remove, wash under tap and dry. Repair if you think it's worth the effort.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
OK thanks. He'll be around tomorrow. I'll write up what happens....

He's got some "mushrooms" from a car boot sale, but no glue. Self-adhesive? Rubber solution? Evo-stik? Chewing gum? What's the glue for these things if they'er not self-adhesive?

U trolling bro?

Tire repair adhesive.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:23 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not "trolling". I've never used tyre mushrooms, and I (still) don't know what they're stuck on with. I'm assuming it's not ordinary rubber cement as used on inner tubes (but that'sas vague as your "tire" repair adhesive.

A brand name would be nice, then I can find out what the stuff is. Anyone?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
No I'm not "trolling". I've never used tyre mushrooms, and I (still) don't know what they're stuck on with. I'm assuming it's not ordinary rubber cement as used on inner tubes (but that'sas vague as your "tire" repair adhesive.

A brand name would be nice, then I can find out what the stuff is. Anyone?

Aww sorry for suggesting you were trolling. My bad Big Yin.

I didn't know your Google was broken.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XTRA-SEAL-VULCANIZING-CEMENT-REPAIR/dp/B002PMRDTM

Razz

PS I simply punched 'tire repair adhesive' into the search box.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:24 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK. I went to the experts (National Tyres). They don't repair motorcycle tyres any more for a particular reason, but were good enough to show me the procedure and give me a tube of Rema "Tip Top" Special Cement BL (flammable).

It's defiitely not "rubber solution" as used tor patching inner tubes. It is a cold-vulcanising mixture of polymer compounds in a trichloroethylene solvent base.

N.T. also commented on tyre sealants. "Tyreweld" they are OK with, but "not OK" with sealants containing organic propellants.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
It's OK. I went to the experts (National Tyres). They don't repair motorcycle tyres any more for a particular reason, but were good enough to show me the procedure and give me a tube of Rema "Tip Top" Special Cement BL (flammable).

It's defiitely not "rubber solution" as used tor patching inner tubes. It is a cold-vulcanising mixture of polymer compounds in a trichloroethylene solvent base.

N.T. also commented on tyre sealants. "Tyreweld" they are OK with, but "not OK" with sealants containing organic propellants.

If you care you could have a squint at the British Tire Manufacturers/Industry's guidelines on tire repairs.

If you are a worrier then you won't repair a bike tire. But I have repaired bike tires and not had any incidents.

I think one issue is being able to determine the extent of any damage.
Or more accurately, having the skill and knowledge to inspect and decide if damage is beyond repair and LOTS of damage is.
Primary cause of scrapping an injured tire is damage caused after the initial puncture when a tire is run flat and the fragile sidewall is crushed by the rim. The hammering effect of the road surface destroys the bonds between the tire construction layers.
Tires are complex machines.

But generally a nail hole can be plugged and forgotten if caught ASAP.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:07 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tyre, not a "tire". No-one runs "tyres" flat. It's fixed. Ta muchly.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:

It depends, I have a couple of times (on a bike) after sudden deflations not far from home.
If it's well worn anyway changing it might be a good option.
It's not as impossible as you would think to go several miles, front or rear.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:48 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
It's a tyre, not a "tire".

Depends on which Dictionary you use.....
I would have said side of the Atlantic but there's still a bit on the wrong side above the 42nd parallel that is rather confused.... When I was about 14, my Kanook step~ish bother, ended up writing his 'English' homework in Quebequese... which is even less like French than American is English... because he was fed up with the argument between his mother and his American 'English teacher' on this very word!?!!!!!!
WmY wrote:
No-one runs "tyres" flat.

We do in trials!!!!!! {occassionally} That's why we have bead clamps.
ISTR that Perelli tubless were the first to endorse a trials slick at atmospheric. If tubed, best to keep them over 2psi to stop them fretting,

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:

Well now that we have made you a tire/tyre expert you can throw your weight around.

Cool Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1