Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

02 cbr600f4i ticking noise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: 02 cbr600f4i ticking noise Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but;

I have a 2002 cbr600f4i with 40k on the clock, totally stock and I've noticed a ticking coming from the engine that seems to be getting worse.

I know the cct is a known fault on this bike so I have ordered a new updated part and am getting it fitted next week but I'm wondering if there is anything I should check before I do this.

When the bike is warm I can hear it on idle and the idle bounces very slightly, I had f1 map warning lights before but that has stopped now. When I ride the ticking gets worse at certain revs but I can't hear at high speeds due to wind noise, I guess either way it can't hurt to change the cct but are there any indicators for a problem with the valves or exhaust leaks?
I haven't noticed a drop in power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:27 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the same, if its the CCT it'l be worst at 5k Rpm. Its a bit tappy anyway to be fair.

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks
I'll check the range to see when it's at it's worst 👍

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very much cct. The APE manual cct is popular replacement. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-2001-02-03-04-05-2006-CBR600F4i-APE-HT900-3-Manual-Cam-Chain-Tensioner/382217231529?hash=item58fdec1ca9:g:~pIAAMXQDDZR3b07)

I want to tell you to check the (drive) chain, but ticking is at idle..

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Hornet 600 and then a CBR 600 F4i, the hooner had a very slight rattle, but the CBR was rattling like it was full of loose nuts and bolts at 5k. And it was a rattle, not a ticking.

I'm of the opinion if it's rhythmical and at tickover, it might not be a CCT, but that engine is absolutely renowned for having broken/lazy CCTs and as all Hondas (ever, fact) do, the reg/rec will probably be on it's way too.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust leaks can sound like a tapping.

The CCT noise is typically more of a metallic rattling, loudest at 5-5.5k ish, silent at idle.

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so today on the ride home I listened through the rev range and it seems worse around 3.5-5k rpm.

I did wonder about exhaust leaks so I'll be picking up a mechanics stethoscope on Saturday and having a good listen all round the exhaust and will try and reach the cct with it as well.

Thanks for the replies and I'll let you know how it goes 👍

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:
Ok so today on the ride home I listened through the rev range and it seems worse around 3.5-5k rpm.

I did wonder about exhaust leaks so I'll be picking up a mechanics stethoscope on Saturday and having a good listen all round the exhaust and will try and reach the cct with it as well.

I was about to suggest that, but not with a stethoscope, but with any metal rod.. I've used a socket extension in the past. Not perfect, but will help you identify where in the engine it's coming from.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:04 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long screwdriver is good as an engine stethoscope. Even a bit of bamboo, or a twig....

Edit: Put the point of (whatever) some place on the engine. Put the blunt end on that little "triangular" flappy bit in front of your ear 'ole, and press it on 'till your ear is blocked. Listen. That's about as good as it can be.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:

An alternative to listening for it is to look for the leak. Dark garage, a torch and a lit cigarette, leaking gases will blow the smoke away. You'll want to work fairly quick, i.e. finish before you die of CO poisoning.

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I had a listen over the weekend and the noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine, it's not as noticeable at idle but is at its worst at 3-5k rpm.
I cleaned and checked my header pipes and found that my radiator hangers at the top are both knackered so have had to fix it in place with ties for now.
It's going in for the cct replacement tomorrow so will see if this fixes the problem.
Once again thanks for the suggestions and info, this is a great site 👍
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1