Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil sump removal! - Advice needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Oil sump removal! - Advice needed Reply with quote

Hi guys,

So, in preparation for a trip to Switzerland next week, I yesterday went to do a routine oil change on my CBR600f6. On attempting to remove the sump plug it sheared off a few threads up the bolt, meaning a small bit of the plug was left in the oil sump. It was a magnetic one that I assume had been over-tightened when I had it serviced it last year. I tried getting the remainder of the bolt out with a magnetised allen key - putting the key up inside the sump plug channel to the base of the remaining fragment and gentle twisting clockwise - but weirdly, though I thought nothing would happen, it somehow got pushed up inside the sump. The oil then flooded out. My questions now being - Is it easy to remove the oil sump to clean out any fragments? Is it possible to leave the piece in there with no problems? Or if removed, do I have to remove the exhaust system to get access?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

David

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can't leave it in there. Sump off I'm afraid and don't forget you'll need a new gasket for that.

Also, what on earth made you turn it clockwise? What did you expect to happen? If you'd gone anti-clockwise as per normal you'd have probably backed the sheared off portion of the plug out.

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that. Apologies, I did turn it anti-clockwise. I was recalling how it feels counter-intuitive to release it from a side position. Do you think it would be possible to lower the sump enough to retrieve any debris from inside with a magnetised prong (of some description) without removing the exhaust system?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:48 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small55 wrote:
Thank you for that. Apologies, I did turn it anti-clockwise. I was recalling how it feels counter-intuitive to release it from a side position. Do you think it would be possible to lower the sump enough to retrieve any debris from inside with a magnetised prong (of some description) without removing the exhaust system?

You should have clearance to unbolt and slide it out. That said though... getting it back on might be more fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sump is ally (likely) you could drag a magnet all across the bottom of it towards the drain hole and get any bits out.

I'd be taking the sump off though.

OGR

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust may not be too much of a PITA to get off.
Then you can do a proper jobbie on the sump.

Ship In A Bottle repairs are difficult and so not always successful.

Time to Invest in a Big Bit.

I imagine that there will be a suction screen and pipe in in the bottom of the sump so unless you can shoehorn your hand in to loosen the screen and pipe you will be very limited on how much you can slide the sump around.
With the exhaust off you do not have that headache.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1