BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garmin 595LM

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:40 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Garmin 595LM Reply with quote

I've been using a Garmin Zumo 660 sat nav for the past 7 years and it has been very much a love hate relationship. We're currently on a 3 week trip around Europe and for the most part the Zumo has performed well with the multi way point routes I've loaded. It all turned to sh!t yesterday! The route was basically the quickest way from Bratislava to Krakow. All looked good the night before but when we left the hotel to start the journey it thought we were in the middle of the Danube. Long story short - all the detailed European maps appeared to be gone. We eventually got to Krakow and found our accommodation by using the Map programme on my phone. When we got settled I downloaded the maps again and all appears to be well again.

I know there are those that still swear by maps and I have used them in the past but using Sat Nav technology has opened up so many other options that I couldn't have realistically considered in the past. We routinely travel to busy city centre locations as well as plot some fairly complicated routes. As I've got used to the quirks of the Zumo the routes have become less prone to failure. The use of the Zumo in finding busy city centre locations has been almost faultless in 7 years.

I'm now considering changing devices and having considered both the latest Tom Tom and the Garmin 595LM. On balance, in spite of the price, I think I'll go for the Garmin. Has anyone got one and if so, what's your opinion?

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both and prefer the interface of the TomTom. Much easier to navigate

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

try replacing the SD card.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD card was the problem. I replaced it with one from my phone and reloaded maps. Still thinking about changing to 595.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Garmin 595LM Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:

I know there are those that still swear by maps and I have used them in the past but using Sat Nav technology has opened up so many other options that I couldn't have realistically considered in the past. We routinely travel to busy city centre locations as well as plot some fairly complicated routes. As I've got used to the quirks of the Zumo the routes have become less prone to failure. The use of the Zumo in finding busy city centre locations has been almost faultless in 7 years.

Sorry, not an answer to your question about the specific unit you're interested in, just a comment on the above quoted: I actually think that a combination of maps and a sat nav is the way to go, even if your sat nav is functioning perfectly and you are fully familiar with how to get the best out of it Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
The SD card was the problem. I replaced it with one from my phone and reloaded maps. Still thinking about changing to 595.

well i bought another 345lm already having a 340lm .. as a reserve... paper maps are ok for emergency reprogramming "on the hoof" .. once in 8 years .. and total failure again once ... the digitizer went ... which i replaced ..... what i would say though is pick a reserve with the same mounting cradle ... as its likely when its needed you`ll be at the side of the road..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

paper maps are ok for emergency reprogramming "on the hoof" .. once in 8 years .. and total failure again once ... the digitizer went ... which i replaced ..... what i would say though is pick a reserve with the same mounting cradle ... as its likely when its needed you`ll be at the side of the road..

This is where you have successfully transitioned from 'old-fashioned', and I haven't Laughing I like maps cos they give me greater context at a glance of where I am and where to head for, including the kind of information I want about terrain and places of interest - assuming they are good ones of course. I find them better for the exploration aspect of touring. There's a limit to how many new tricks this old dog can stomach!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1