Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yet another way to screw the drivers/riders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:17 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Yet another way to screw the drivers/riders Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know this is for general bike chat but if we all get £70 fines for cars/bikes on the pavements then the roads are going to be even more a joke and dangerous.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/parking-on-pavements-law-police-14801502

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/784500/pavement-parking-UK-laws-rules-ban-fine

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another way to screw the drivers/riders Reply with quote

HappyDays wrote:
Hi all,

I know this is for general bike chat but if we all get £70 fines for cars/bikes on the pavements then the roads are going to be even more a joke and dangerous.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/parking-on-pavements-law-police-14801502

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/784500/pavement-parking-UK-laws-rules-ban-fine

So you don't think that BMW driver did anything wrong? 😲

And you think that roads are safer and less of a joke with pedestrians and wheelchair users rocking into them randomly around cars blocking the pavement?

Really???!!?!

🤦‍♂️

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:40 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another way to screw the drivers/riders Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
HappyDays wrote:
Hi all,

So you don't think that BMW driver did anything wrong? 😲

And you think that roads are safer and less of a joke with pedestrians and wheelchair users rocking into them randomly around cars blocking the pavement?

Really???!!?!

NO!! BMW caused an obstruction so should be fined, So now we all have to pay because of the minority.
Guess some people like being screwed..

🤦‍♂️

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely hate it when I have to step into the road to get around a car that's been dumped on the path.

When I'm out with soon-to-arrive-babby-snoo I will just scrape the pram right down the side of the coonts' cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously don't "get" the point of your post then sorry?

Cause an obstruction and get fined. Seems fine to me.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I absolutely hate it when I have to step into the road to get around a car that's been dumped on the path.

When I'm out with soon-to-arrive-babby-snoo I will just scrape the pram right down the side of the coonts' cars.

Jeans with zips on the back pockets work well when you are forced to edge through the tiny gap sideways fyi.

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:52 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Point is Mr nice ticket man can go around and slap a ticket on ANY CAR/BIKE that just slightly on the kerb even when not causing a obstruction..
Wow, that would make some CASH.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyDays wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Point is Mr nice ticket man can go around and slap a ticket on ANY CAR/BIKE that just slightly on the kerb even when not causing a obstruction..
Wow, that would make some CASH.

Can they though?

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:56 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they though?[/quote]

Yes, Under the new rules, drivers could be fined £70 for parking on the pavement/kerb side.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyDays wrote:

Yes, Under the new rules, drivers could be fined £70 for parking on the pavement/kerb side.

So these "new rules" exist..... Have been passed... And are currently being adopted by all councils outside of London are they? That was quick.

I'll simplify my sarcasm - it's never going to happen. Councils dont have the available space for parking for the cars that would be displaced. These stories are nothing more than raising awareness of the acts. (Imho)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:51 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Councils dont have the available space for parking for the cars that would be displaced.

Why's that going to be their problem? It's mad dollah for them, plus "creates" "work" for another swarm of Pataweyos and pound monkeys.

I'm all for actual enforcement of the current law on obstruction, mind. The local 5-0 have actually started lifting caddishly parked cars. Not often, but they do run occasional swoops and bag whole rows of them, thereby actually removing the obstruction, and raking in fat kickbacks from the pound wallahs ensuring justice is done.

I wouldn't trust any of the commie councils up here with the power to rake in revenue for a wheel on the curb or a nose slightly off your own property, which is how I'd fully expect it to be administrated. That's based on my personal experience with the Glasgow Cooncil Blue Meanies.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well assuming we all know it is happening - a motorcyclist would be a fool to park in a pavement.

Also assuming that means they either park in a car space or worse - take an actual car....

We won't miss out. It will be the car drivers that are stuck in the queues (that we filter past) that lose out on the spaces that we now occupy. Smile

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:49 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could cause even more problems- first thing that popped in my head after reading that (well, third- first was BMW drivers are coonts, second was council's are coonts and if this happens I hope it's only vehicles causing an obstruction, not anything on the kerb/pavement, but that would require too much thought and judgement) was I'm sure plenty of riders put their bike on the pavement for security reasons, maybe they can see it from their office window or there or something.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:12 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Wheels on pavement Reply with quote

Well they already fine you around here even if one wheel is slightly on the pavement

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another way to screw the drivers/riders Reply with quote

HappyDays wrote:
Hi all,

Not really.

You don't know what it was like previously in Manchester. In Manchester parking attendants were ticketing crashed motorbikes and even buses that stopped to drop off and pick up passengers.

In Bury a parking attendant had been caught photoshopping 100s of tickets as all the evidence photos were strangely black and white.

Due to this the major contractor for parking tickets was replaced. Today you can stick your motorbike in a cycle rack and nobody cares.

The key point here is obstruction. If you do park wheels on pavement ensure that a wheel chair can get past and nobody really cares.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.... twice in Glasgow I've parked my bike on the pavement and twice I've had parking tickets for it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:25 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I've said it before, but I'll say it again.... twice in Glasgow I've parked my bike on the pavement and twice I've had parking tickets for it.

On double yellows, which do apply to the edge of the road including the pavement.

But point taken, you put it out of the way and not obstructing anyone. Same with me, mine was tucked right in a corner between nowhere and nowhere, with no foot traffic. One Meanie even said that it would take "a complete cvnt to ticket it there". Then it got ticketed.

Thus my lack of trust with giving cooncils even more powers to raise revenue.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1