Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Torque settings for YS125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Torque settings for YS125 Reply with quote

Hi
I recently dropped my 2018 YS125 (stupidly) and bent the brake lever and scuffed the exhaust protector so i purchased a new one as i would like to have it relatively intact when i do eventually sell it on.

So I'm asking what are the torque settings for the front brake lever and the exhaust protector. im guessing hand tight for protector and 6-7 Nm for lever. I can't find any workshop manuals out at the moment

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:30 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till it's tight enough.

FFS

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're over valuing your current ride; a tiddler is either going to be sold to someone who will pay what you ask because they have no idea what they're looking at or someone who wants a second bike and knows that you probably don't know what you're talking about and just want to flog it on so will haggle you down. There's hundreds of other types of person, of course, but the bottom line is that 125cc's, on the whole, are there to be abused and thrown away, eventually.

Leave exhaust protector and replace brake lever; use how hard it was to undo as a gauge as to how much effort you should put into tightening up.

I wouldn't focus on torque settings, mind, given that the more you work on a motorbike the more you get used to telling how much tightness you should put into something. For example I recently took the rear huger of my bike and that required a 1/4 (the least powerful ratchet: 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 -- weak to strong, left to right) ratchet and a small 4 mm 1/4 socket bit and so could tell that it was only going to need to be tightened gently.

Most probably your levers held on by a single screw, you could undo it and have it out in less time than it takes you to read this.

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
You're over valuing your current ride; a tiddler is either going to be sold to someone who will pay what you ask because they have no idea what they're looking at or someone who wants a second bike and knows that you probably don't know what you're talking about and just want to flog it on so will haggle you down. There's hundreds of other types of person, of course, but the bottom line is that 125cc's, on the whole, are there to be abused and thrown away, eventually.

Leave exhaust protector and replace brake lever; use how hard it was to undo as a gauge as to how much effort you should put into tightening up.

I wouldn't focus on torque settings, mind, given that the more you work on a motorbike the more you get used to telling how much tightness you should put into something. For example I recently took the rear huger of my bike and that required a 1/4 (the least powerful ratchet: 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 -- weak to strong, left to right) ratchet and a small 4 mm 1/4 socket bit and so could tell that it was only going to need to be tightened gently.

Most probably your levers held on by a single screw, you could undo it and have it out in less time than it takes you to read this.

Thank you so much for this. However I already purchased both bits i need. I will however mention to the potential buyer that i have dropped it and replaced the parts. I understand that 125s will get abused but this is a 2018 model which i bought Factory new from dealer with like 1 mile on record and i had it since april so rather have a good looking bike until i sell it

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Goulbourne wrote:
I will however mention to the potential buyer that i have dropped it and replaced the parts.

I'd be surprised if they cared so long that it runs and rides fine by the time that you come to sell it and isn't coated in too much rust; ACF-50 for that, mind.

Don't give information to questions you don't get asked given that, ultimately, you want the potential buyer to hand over their money to you and leave feeling like they've got something worth what they've parted for it.

Saying that, mind, you'll most probably end up P/X it for something bigger once you get a license even if it doesn't currently seem like something that's on the horizon.

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
David Goulbourne wrote:
I will however mention to the potential buyer that i have dropped it and replaced the parts.

I'd be surprised if they cared so long that it runs and rides fine by the time that you come to sell it and isn't coated in too much rust; ACF-50 for that, mind.

Don't give information to questions you don't get asked given that, ultimately, you want the potential buyer to hand over their money to you and leave feeling like they've got something worth what they've parted for it.

Saying that, mind, you'll most probably end up P/X it for something bigger once you get a license even if it doesn't currently seem like something that's on the horizon.

that's a good tip thank you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1