Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance categories/definition dates and repairs question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:41 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Insurance categories/definition dates and repairs question. Reply with quote

From the Association of British Insurers website:

https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/files/publications/public/motor/2017/09/salvage-cop-v10-september-2017.pdf

9.3 Motorcycles and derivatives including quadbikes should be categorised as follows

Category A: Is not repairable with no useable parts.
Category B: Should be used when any one of the following applies:

(i) A machine that has suffered serious damage and is beyond any form of safe repair.
(ii) Frame has suffered NON Cosmetic Damage
(iii) Where the Frame/engine Vin/identification has been tampered with i.e removed or false identification implanted
(iv) Where two or more of the following listed major assemblies cannot be safely repaired:-

(a) Fork assembly complete
(b) Power Unit
(c) Swinging Arm assembly – including suspension unit(s)
(d) Where Category B (Break) is applied the disposal criteria is the same as the monocoque Bodyshell/Chassis/Frame

Category S: Not applicable to Motorcycles and derivatives including quadbikes
Category N: If none of the above definitions apply then categorise as Category N (Non-structural).
(a) Frame damage that is cosmetic and can be repaired paint only.

So, my question: If someone offers for sale a "Cat S, formerly Cat C" motorcycle for sale, then what the hell do they mean by that?

Last edited by WmY on 18:57 - 20 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old cat C was a bike that wasn't necessarily written off, but, damage was more to repair than bike was worth. E.g. a new set of fairings on a 15 year old bike could push it into 'beyond economical repair' territory.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:55 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so if previous "C" meant "possible structural damage in any case more than the bike's worth", and "D" was "less money but still uneconomic", have both C and D been subsumed into new category "N", or only D?

I *guess* a "C" means the thing was written off before last October (i.e. "possible structural damage more, cost than it's worth to fix"), but that NOW for motorcycles there's only cat A, B and N, with B subsuming the old C? I.e. if it's got a bent frame, it's not not classed as repairable?

Confused? I am. Anyone else may be soon...

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google it. Loads of answers. But, if I was buying a cat 'whatever' I'd want to see the assessors report before even going to see it myself. And take a good, extra pair of eyes with me.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:17 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Google it. Loads of answers.

I have, there are, it's confusing, I thought someone here might know.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s confusing but some state cat c now s and cat d now n for VEHICLES.
Also will any insurance com insure you for one to ride!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Insurance categories/definition dates and repairs questi Reply with quote

WmY wrote:

So, my question: If someone offers for sale a "Cat S, formerly Cat C" motorcycle for sale, then what the hell do they mean by that?

They're not a direct map to the old categories. Otherwise there would be no point really in changing them.

It means what it means. You've already discovered what it means.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:39 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I means that the seller is a muppet. It's not really unusual.

It also implies that it's been recorded as written off but repairable, and that DVLA will issue new V5C for it.

The only other actual category is written off, non-repairable, which means (and only means) that DVLA won't issue a new V5C.

None of these silly letters mean anything, and never have meant anything. Just confirm that it's written off, repairable, value it on its actual condition, and you're good to go.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1