Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scammers.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Scammers. Reply with quote

Had a phone call on the land line last night at around 16:40 from a woman asking for me by name and enquiring whether my Street Triple was still for sale. Quite specific.
The wife answered and denied all knowledge.
This is alarming as I really don't remember leaving my land line number with anyone and I've not advertised my bike for sale anywhere.
I've had the occasional test ride at dealerships and had to leave details with them but always left my mobile number.
I have the number of the caller but on googling, others have had calls from it and it appears to be some kind of scam.
The only thing I can think of is that they may have been trying to obtain my address to come round and try to nick the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:56 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop using the land line phone.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:57 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I would think they are fishing for responses with the high value bikes, they probably call up random numbers and ask if x bike is for sale and see what the response is

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
high value

Wanna buy my bike? Laughing

I think you're right. No info was given out so no damage done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the number she rang on ?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
What was the number she rang on ?

Me too I ate one sour too. /fatfreddy>

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I would think they are fishing for responses with the high value bikes, they probably call up random numbers and ask if x bike is for sale and see what the response is

I don't believe that for a minute. Think what a tiny percentage of the population own high-value bikes; no way it would be worthwhile calling people at random (compared with other scams). In any case, they asked for the OP by name. So as a bare minimum, the scammer knows that the OP is into bikes and has obtained his landline number from somewhere. Possibly the specific Striple inquiry could have been a guess, but seems very unlikely to me (given that the caller already has the OP's name and number)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:07 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you give your insurance broker or a comparison site your landline number?

I mean, insurers are the very models of probity and would never think to sell on customer details, either at a corporate or phone drone level, but... somehow ambulance chasers keep on getting them. Must be h4xx0rz.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

I don't believe that for a minute. Think what a tiny percentage of the population own high-value bikes; no way it would be worthwhile calling people at random (compared with other scams). In any case, they asked for the OP by name. So as a bare minimum, the scammer knows that the OP is into bikes and has obtained his landline number from somewhere. Possibly the specific Striple inquiry could have been a guess, but seems very unlikely to me (given that the caller already has the OP's name and number)

true when thinking about percentages etc, as you say they must know the landline from somewhere and know your into bikes or own a bike and trying to get more info on it

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Scammers. Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Had a phone call on the land line last night at around 16:40 from a woman asking for me by name and enquiring whether my Street Triple was still for sale. Quite specific.
The wife answered and denied all knowledge.
This is alarming as I really don't remember leaving my land line number with anyone and I've not advertised my bike for sale anywhere.
I've had the occasional test ride at dealerships and had to leave details with them but always left my mobile number.
I have the number of the caller but on googling, others have had calls from it and it appears to be some kind of scam.
The only thing I can think of is that they may have been trying to obtain my address to come round and try to nick the bike.

Obvious one... But are you ex-directory? If not they only needed your name and a picture of your bike.. which I assume is your public Facebook profile picture or a photo somewhere to know it's a striple. Then they need only call a handful of Jonny recmans from s specific area (Facebook again for rough location)

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I buy a SIM card when advertising anything of value for sale, and throw it after.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the theories in this thread are too much like hard work.

It will be what Roger says or something very similar. You gave your details to a fine upstanding company who're so professional that they've either sold your details or been careless with them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:38 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
This is why I buy a SIM card when advertising anything of value for sale, and throw it after.

He hasn't advertised it for sale though.

It's his insurers, or someone with access to their data.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1