Engine heat rising rapidly FIXED

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a quick gurgle and from what I see it has a temp sensor
mounted on the thermostat and I saw no independent fan switch.
If so, I reckon it uses circuitry after the sensor which displays coolant temp and controls a fan relay.

First thing I'd is check the coolant
If you have a leak and lost coolant then duh!

If the coolant is all present and correct then test the cooling system electricules.
I'd use my meter and IR temp gun to see of the gauge is lying or not and fan cut in at the specified temp.
If the displayed temp is close to the IR gun and the fan cuts in as close as, then maybe its all as per spec

Next, out comes the toolbox and the methods listed above

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
I may have misunderstood how/what turns on the fan.

Then you should think twice about offering advice relating to things you don't properly understand. Good advice is always welcome and can often help people solve a problem. Poor advice, based on a lack of understanding, is pointless.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank fuck you're back Matt B. Thumbs Up

Since your BCF sabbatical I told a bloke to add an egg white to a leaking rad....in a car so no biggie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Tawny wrote:
I may have misunderstood how/what turns on the fan.

Then you should think twice about offering advice relating to things you don't properly understand. Good advice is always welcome and can often help people solve a problem. Poor advice, based on a lack of understanding, is pointless.

No harm done, nothing lost. My bike's fine and so am I. Thumbs Up

It wasn't pointless at all. I engaged in the discussion with a desire to help, and I've come out having learned how the temperature sensor is a separate system from the thermostat in water cooling systems. I didn't know that before. You suggested I was making it up. Why? To seem more knowledgable and important to you and your mates? No, it isn't that important to me what these guys say. I was just doing a good deed. You're free to run with it and say that means I don't know diddly squat about anything to do with bikes. Whatever rocks your boat mate. He'll still find that it wasn't the thermostat causing his overheating problem. Thumbs Up

I've had something very similar happen in a bike that spit out coolant because of back-pressure.

If you don't know about this stuff, please don't comment! It isn't useful when you do this only to look like you know what you're talking about. Laughing

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Thank fuck you're back Matt B. Thumbs Up

Thank you HT Very Happy Although, reading the 24 carat nugget advice in this thread I wonder why I bother...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:58 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Wow! I'm over the moon. I appreciate it. I didn't know I had any peers. Very Happy

Last time someone got a prize like that, a motorcyclist bled to death, unfortunately.

What happened was, there was an accident and a biker came off his bike. A couple of other motorists stopped to help. The biker said, "I think I broke my arm, can you take my helmet off please."
One of the motorists looked at him, saw he was bleeding (from his elbow), and said, "OK, but first let's staunch the bleeding."
The other said, "What! You idiot! You retard! You never take off a biker's helmet!"
Indignant, the other replied "Look who's talking, stupid old man who keeps having accidents and screwing up!"

The argument went back and forth. The biker bled to death.

True story. Thumbs Up

Ok two things:

1. there is no element of time in fixing this bike issue. No leadership is required in this situation.

2.) there is still a wrong answer to the crashed biker issue hence having people that know what they are doing, as well as being able to take charge is very important. Having a decisive leader is no good if the leader doesn't have a clue. Just look at Donald Trump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:09 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Ok two things:

1. there is no element of time in fixing this bike issue. No leadership is required in this situation.

2.) there is still a wrong answer to the crashed biker issue hence having people that know what they are doing, as well as being able to take charge is very important. Having a decisive leader is no good if the leader doesn't have a clue. Just look at Donald Trump.

There was a grad student I used to know, who went over to a religion-based internet forum the members of which were mostly geeks who lived and breathed their ideology, knew its history and had some kind of indoctrinated perspective on how discourse and debate should proceed. Apart from being coreligionists, they also all knew each other in real life.

He antagonised them all with his arguments, sometimes deliberately offensive. One after the other, he dropped a position, modified another and assumed another. In effect, he lost most of the 'debates'. Yet it was a win-win situation. How? Because he used it as a means to test his ideas and learn new things. The people there had a habit of launching into furious diatribes, in which they would sperg reams of stuff from history, as well as quotes from their sizeable corpus of sacred scripture, to defeat him in argument.

The real question is, is having disagreements with others a valid means of learning things? In his case, he did it selfishly. In the present case, it just happened to pan out that way after I selflessly offered advice. My motives were pure and selfless. I've never had a Triumph Daytona, but I mentioned that a mechanic advised me never to buy one. You had one. Did my comment annoy you? How pure are your motives?

I would say, it doesn't really matter what the motive or purpose or even the end-result really is, because if you think about how most people learned anything to do with bikes, in most cases it was at least 65% trial and error. Everyone makes doofus mistakes, then learns from them. It's how it goes with bikes!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
I've never had a Triumph Daytona

Self evident.

Tawny wrote:
I mentioned that a mechanic advised me never to buy one

Excellent. Let me travel back in time to the start of the year when Paris got his, and give him that pearl of wisdom. Problem solved before it even arises.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you sound like a bellend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny, thanks for giving me some entertainment. Now pipe down and let those without a mental disorder help the nice man fix his bike.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:21 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Last time someone got a prize like that, a motorcyclist bled to death, unfortunately"

May I introduce....Bloodpal! In the event of an accident, Bloodpal will contain all of your vital fluids within one, simple, easy to use container! No longer will emergency service operators have to struggle to save the lives of Riders! who couldn't see the road ahead was clear, Bloodpal will save them!

Y U not invest? u want to kill bikers, like Canfitz does?

Edit typo/grammar

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:32 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religion is based on faith, engineering is based on physics, which, the last time i looked, is based on sound and provable facts.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 02:48 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny, in another thread you were sperging about how we shouldn't be giving information away for free in case someone you don't like might benefit from it.
Is this your plan to fix the problem? Poison the advice threads with random guesses and misinformation to make it useless?

The general rule of the workshop is that you only offer advice if you know what you're talking about. If you want to learn, fine, read it. Offer a suggestion after making it clear you don't know anything, but do not offer a guess based on a total lack of knowledge or experience. That sort of advice is what leads to people replacing their ignition coils and CDI when the plugs are worn out.

OP - basic cooling things first. Is there any coolant in the engine?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:43 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Just swap out dat coolant.

By the way, I suggest that not because I think it'll fix it, but just because it's likely been skipped, and if it flushes out a pile of crap[*], well, there's your problem. Bit of a Teffers "KNOWNE baseliine".

[*] Tawny reminds me of:

https://i.imgur.com/qbjdvaD.png

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:22 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Excellent. Let me travel back in time to the start of the year when Paris got his, and give him that pearl of wisdom. Problem solved before it even arises.

Would have solved a lot more than my current temperature problem Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 187 days between these two posts...

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:18 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
^^^That's a good start.^^^

Other possibilities include:

- failed thermostat (stuck closed)
- failed water pump
- head gasket failure
- blocked radiator.

Doing the flush and replace that Rog mentioned is the first thing to try since it is easiest and eliminates one possibility. whilst you are in there you may also spot signs of other problems.

Old thread alert Laughing

I am now just getting round to looking at this properly and need a little more guidance.
So I've removed the thermostat, chucked it in a saucepan and it appears to work fine opening up when the water reaches a high temp.
I've drained the coolant of course to do this, so that'll be renewed at the same time (it's only around a year old).

What else shall I be checking for whilst it's all apart. How do I check for blockages or pump failure?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:46 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocked rad is easy, put water in top, does it flow freely through the rad and come out?

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:40 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now that should be easy to check Very Happy

What about pump? Guess that would require refilling system and checking to see if it is being pushed around somehow?
I've read somewhere about pressure testing, is that something done simply?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the radiator cap

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check the pump circulation.

Open a plug on the water jacket or crack a hose clip open and push a small screwdriver in under the hose until you can let the coolant dribble out. When you get a steady dribble, start the engine and see if the dribble becomes a spurt or stops. That indicates pump flow.
If the radiator also has a radiator cap, you can also let the engine heat up to thermostat opening temperature with the cap off and watch the coolant flow into the top of the radiator and down the tubes.
Maybe, but sometime you cannot see much inside due to the layout of the bike frame etc.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:06 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the fucking radiator cap!

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:09 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does changing the radiator cap achieve?

Also, whilst it appears my thermostat works, is there any pros/cons as to riding without one altogether?

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the radiator cap is defective, it will cause the system to over pressurize. Won't let coolant flow to the expansion bottle and probably won't allow the coolant to return to the cooling system when cooling down - leading to loss of coolant but an overfilled expansion bottle instead.

It's cheap enough to replace.

Leaving the thermostat may help it run cooler. See if it does. If it continues to overheat then you most likely have a headgasket issue.

If it does indeed run cooler then it may be possible to buy a lower temp stat that opens sooner, say 80'C instead of 87'C. It should be stamped with what the opening temp is on the stat.

Edit:
However all the other advice is handy to check too. Check the rad for blockages, check the pump, check the sensor even too?
When does the fan start to kick in?

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:55 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan kicks in at 104.

Should I be seeing coolant in the expansion bottle at all times? It's generally between the min-max.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should stay between Min Max.
The expansion tank allows coolant under pressure to escape via the pressure cap as the engine warms (coolant expands). It goes back into the cooling system when the engine cools.
It should never really need anything apart from a look from on fill to the next fill years later.

But... how are you measuring the temperature?

Your problem may be the temp gauge on the bike (if it has one.) indicating a hot engine when it is not hot. Maybe the gauge is not reading correctly.

If you are using a reliable thermometer then 104 is 'possibly' a bit late.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3