BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha Mt03

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:15 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Yamaha Mt03 Reply with quote

Has anyone had both of these,as in the earlier 600cc model and the newer 300cc one?
Ive just sold 1 bike ,maybe the 125 commuter is next,and ive narrowed down the wish list to either of the above or a Duke 390
Just fancy something small as a 125 with more poke ,like my old 2 strokers from years ago
Thanks
Matt

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the older duke390.

There are a few things that I find annoying. It will stall when it's cold, both in terms of ambient temperature and engine. It will be a pig to start after it stalls. I will try raising the idle in autumn when it's cooler and I can ride a bike again, to see if this fixes that issue.
The tank is small so will need to fill up between 100-110miles.

On the plus side, it's got enough poke so it's not slow but no so much that you can pin the throttle everywhere. Makes for an enjoyable ride. If you can look past some of the poor manufacturing quality issues some people have reported it's a cracking bike.

sorry i can't answer your question, but have some input into the alternative

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an MT-03 (660cc) for about a year. Was great fun on the commute and for a weekend blast on the back roads.

However, that lump of an engine gets a bit vibey at higher revs. Taking it on NSL A Roads or Motorways for more than 15 mins and you'll be regretting it. The buffeting will leave you knackered and grumpy.

I traded it in after a few long journeys. I don't think I'd have a single again if I needed a multi purpose bike.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Mt03 Reply with quote

MATTT wrote:
Has anyone had both of these,as in the earlier 600cc model and the newer 300cc one?
Ive just sold 1 bike ,maybe the 125 commuter is next,and ive narrowed down the wish list to either of the above or a Duke 390
Just fancy something small as a 125 with more poke ,like my old 2 strokers from years ago
Thanks
Matt

The old MT03 is listed as the same weight as the new Ducati v4.
Just has under a quarter the power.
The newer one is a bit lighter, but still not up to an okay 2 stroke.

KTM seems to be the best for fun of the new tiddlers and worst for all sorts of issues, including the ones above (seen a new RC model eventually returned after 6 months because KTM couldn't fix it.)

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:57 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I had the 660cc version for about 10 months & was the worst bike I ever owned.

My view - don't buy one if you want to avoid constant bodging/repairs/garage trips.

Bulletproof engine & a sub-100mph hooligan tool.
Shocking electrics, poor exterior finish.
It's built in the same factory as the Pegaso so has Italian electrics and build quality.

ALL the electrics failed on mine with <20k miles, ate chain/sprockets, prone to cutting out on downshifts even with high rpms. Normal wear & tear & commuting = multiple bolts seized, rust everywhere.

Got rid for spare/repairs after the ECU totally failed & three dealerships couldn't figure out what was wrong with it!

If I were you I'd stay well clear of the 660cc version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:12 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus it was premium-priced when new, before Yamaha sorted themselves out with the MT-07, and last time I checked, sellers were still in fantasy land about the values.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get an MT03 (the proper version, not the 300cc scooter). Had a test ride on a nice one, ticked all the boxes apart from the money, was far too expensive. In my quest to find one chap I came across a Pegaso that looked good online and bought it remote. Big mistake - not the bike's fault, the dealer were having a proper laugh. Sent that back and went back to the drawing board.

Rode a local Duke 390 and found that it was proper friendly especially when pinned. Same power as the MT03 / Pegaso, but lighter and obviously newer. So looking at the used prices eventually worked out it was only a few quid more for a new one. So that's what I did. Had it up to 2500 miles, under 2 years.

About town it was / is the fastest mode of transport you could use. Nothing would touch it off the line and it seemed like you could fit in gaps that would have me wincing even on a road bike.
However. As above, the build quality is not KTM. Had condensation behind the clock, it would cut out at the first junction on cold mornings unless I warmed it up and the levers felt like they belonged on a small child's bike.

You're right in that it compares to a stroker (250ish) though, it made me behave quite the antisocial at some points, just like a stroker does.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:54 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Had condensation behind the clock, it would cut out at the first junction on cold mornings unless I warmed it up

Both common complaints, so it's not like you got a bad 'un.

It's a bike that I really want to ride, but not to own. Sad

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's a bike that I really want to ride, but not to own. Sad
I make it sound really bad. Really, it's not. It's got character. And hooning through traffic made up for it's shortcomings.

Yes.

I think I might want one again.

thunderwow
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 390 Duke is fun to ride but it's made out of cheese and is horrible to own.

In the 9 months that I had mine I spent more in repairs than I eventually sold the bike for, and frankly I was pleased I got anything for it at all in the end.

It's a shame, as it would be a cracking little bike if only KTM had some quality control.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

made in Injure innit bruv

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderwow wrote:

In the 9 months that I had mine I spent more in repairs than I eventually sold the bike for, and frankly I was pleased I got anything for it at all in the end.

It's a shame, as it would be a cracking little bike if only KTM had some quality control.

What issues had you found?

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:36 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Great Reply with quote

Well great replies thank you

So the 600cc MT is off the list then

Ive read the 2017 onwards dukes are better sorted for stalling and running hot ,were both the ones mentioned earlier or later bikes?

Just sold a W650 so no fairings isnt an issue!
Last small commuter was a chinese copy c110 ,proved brilliant for 3 1/2 years just got bored as you do,before that was a CD175, RXS100 ,proper C90
Maybe I should finish the RZ250R and use that,it supposedly 45bhp or thereabouts 😀,

So a duke or Mt03 300 still a possibility

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:57 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Great Reply with quote

MATTT wrote:

Ive read the 2017 onwards dukes are better sorted for stalling and running hot ,were both the ones mentioned earlier or later bikes?

The RC I mentioned was pre 2017 I'm pretty sure - bought towards the end of 2016 at a very reasonable price (well, a reasonable price for a working bike, that is, rather than one one KTM would repeatedly fail to get working, which seemed to have less times it's easily got home under it's own power than without outside assistance.)

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:37 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM 690 Duke? Masses of grunt, great brakes, superb on a twisty road and only 150kg.

thunderwow
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:29 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
thunderwow wrote:

What issues had you found?

In addition to the stalling issue, on a bike that was maintained over and above the schedule specified by the owners handbook:

Steering head bearings went (at ~7,000 miles).
Front disc warped (at ~7,000 miles).
Silencer corroded (by 10,000 miles).
Throttle stuck open (at ~5,000 miles).
Neutral switch failed (at ~8,000 miles).
Instrument cluster failed (at ~10,000 miles).

The quality was poor all round to be honest. Plastics discoloured quickly, decals peeled, paint flaked, rubber on the shift and brake levers perished, fasteners rusted.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
KTM 690 Duke? Masses of grunt, great brakes, superb on a twisty road and only 150kg.

Or even KTM690SMC(and or Husky TE710) - saves a bit more weight, to the point it's not far off a 125 2 stroke.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far off a two stroke? Not mine it isn't. My lightest bike (still with ton of road going equipment) is probably now around 95kg dry and it won't be any more than 110-115kg wet I predict.

For a fun bike that's not a serious long distance commuter or a comfy smooth daily hack, then light is right above all else!

For a fun bike for me, I'm not overly bothered if it's a 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor, or if it's a single or twin, but being 115kg or under fueled up is the No.1 factor in having fun for me.

I do like some of the naked 300's, as they arnt trying to look like a low rent half assed sports bike, and if they were light enough then yeah they'd be fun. A Honda CRF 300 SM would be much more fun than a CBR500, or Z650 etc.

But if your going to look at a naked 300cc road bike that's say 145kg, you'd have to ask yourself if you'd not be better off going all out to buy the MT07 (Yamaha's best MT by far!)

Personally for me it'd come down to how much riding and going places I wanted to do? You could take an MT07 anywhere and it'd be fine, but it's too big an engine and too heavy for me if I just want to ride around town centres, or down sunny evening country roads for 10-20miles or so. If you don't really go anywhere then keep the bike a very light one that goes from low speeds like a shaken bottle of pop with the top off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was thinking the latter 125cc 2 stroke sports bikes; for instance an NSR125 is listed at 138kg dry and my 690Enduro seemed to have an accurate weight of around 138.5kg dry.

My 144XC is under 100kg, Rev 3 significantly under that and the GRC is around 20kg I think! Razz

I'd still like to try a modern 250SX with SM wheels for revvyness and low weight with a pretty decent hit on-pipe.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Light Reply with quote

Definitely agree with lightness,conmbined with something small and good power . There's a couple of short sections of dual carriageway, but mostly B roads and I get to work the same time more or less on a 650 or a C90.

The c90 has been the best tight filtering bike so far as it weights the same as a pushbike,i rode around the back and side and back accross the front of cars who sit in the queues ,hanging out to the white line blocking the way whilst the big bikes sit and wait

Current commuting steed is a Benelli TNT125 ,most fun was the Yam RXS100

sl121011
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:22 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really to add about the 660 MT03 that hasn't been mentioned already. Poor finish, instant-rust fasteners and anywhere else that you care to mention, iffy electrics and it does seem to cut out (albeit rarely) at inopportune moments. On the other hand, it pops, bangs and spits the odd blue flame out the exhaust on overrun, can be thrown around corners and is a hoot on B-roads. Great noise with the Akra cans too. Would I have another? No. Lots of fun in small does but town riding is ruined by a throttle response that is either on or off, and motorways compromised by anything over 6K revs resulting in no more go and lots more vibes.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 235 days between these two posts...

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:03 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Update.. Reply with quote

Well since the W650 went ,ive bought a RZ250R ,in bits ,never been ridden yet,and a Benelli TNT125, been using that for my once a week commute .
Its been fine ,small enough to get through the tightest of gaps and ok up to 50mph

Started to get bored with the lack of overtaking power at 20/30 mph

Still not found anything to replace it though ,never went for the MT or the Duke after reading the issues mentioned

The new Honda cub looks good but price and power not good

I wish they made a tiny lightweight bike with a rev happy engine and a good acceleration 😣
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1