Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Harley Davidson (and Indian) 25% import duty hits today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:29 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Harley Davidson (and Indian) 25% import duty hits today Reply with quote

Just to remind you that the free-trade loving EU has gone ahead and slapped 25% import duty on any Murcan made (or Chinese made and Murcan badged) bike over 500cc as of today.

If you want a "cheap" Harley, best get in before it trickles down to the PCP rental price.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Harley's are sold in Europe? I'm kind of interested if it's like going to Goodwood supercar Sunday where a few hundred McClarens, Ferraris etc crawl out of the woodwork and you're wondering where they all came from. Is there a Harley in every other garage in Surrey? I know cruisers are more popular in mainland Europe, but it is a really significant market?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty around, if there weren't, they couldn't sustain the large dealer/showroom network that they have.

What proportion of those sold are rode in anything but dry warm weather, well, that may well be a different matter entirely.

This will hit HD potentially quite significantly, as europe is their 2nd largest market, after the US

https://www.statista.com/statistics/252220/worldwide-motorcycle-retail-sales-of-harley-davidson/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:04 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're regularly middle of the top 10 in UK sales charts by numbers registered. By value, they're probably near the top.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who’s going to fill the gap for large v-twin cruisers?
Is this a big market?

Japanese looky-likey v-twin sales rise?
An opportunity for the Chinese manufacturers to step into a new market?
A new cruiser style model from Ducati?

Or will British apathy mean we all just say “meh!”

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:25 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enfield need to get their new interceptor twins out and on the market toot-de-sweet.

There is a whole market out there for underpowered motorcycles that look and sound good. With a 270 degree crank, they don't sound far away from a v-twin.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tax gets put on the other way, Triumph are going to suffer.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it go the other way?

Trump's levies are aimed at protecting vital US steel and aluminuminium industries from predatory price dumping by foreigners. I think he does have a reasonable belief that China-China-China in particular are deliberately attempting to destroy Murca's capacity to produce raw materials and therefore make them dependent on imports.

Does he care about Triumphs, or even about Harley exports? I doubt it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because I'm a vindictive sod I expect people to act the same way as me.

I would quite happily use it as an excuse to shit on Merkel & co if I was Trump.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:06 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are misunderstanding. I can see where the EU is coming from on this point because free trade has to work in both directions, otherwise it's not actually trading.

This isn't a unilateral decision from the EU. This is a response to Trumps metal import levy.

If he wants to freely sell his products into our market, we have to be free to sell our products into his market.

Does the US metal import levy catch vehicles anyway or is it just the metals before they're made into cars and motorcycles?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that if China can't dump it's subsidised raw materials into the US, then it's gonna end up in the EU and damage those producers.
So is Trump causing the problem, or is the EU reeeing at the fact that the China problem is now theirs to deal with?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
is the EU reeeing at the fact that the China problem is now theirs to deal with?

They are indeed, but that's disingenuous since they've been acting as a protectionist racket for years, paying lip service to free trade while chortling at Barry Hussein putting China First.

stinkwheel wrote:
EU [...] metal import levy.

The EU has agreed to impose import duties of between 13.2% and 22.6% on Chinese hot-rolled steel, which is used in pipelines and gas containers, and 65.1% and 73.7% on heavy plates (since 2016).

Tariffs continue in 2018 as "yet another action taken by the EU to defend EU companies and jobs against unfair practices in the international steel trade".

See, when China-China-China dumps on the EU, that's sooooo unfair, and they need to protect EU companies, strong and stable and all that. But on the quiet, like, let's not make a big deal of it.

When the EU tries to dump its own excess production on the US and gets rebuffed, that's an outrage, an affront to global free trade, worst than Literal Hitler, and it cannot stand.

So please, let's not have any hypocrisy over the God Emperor putting Murca First when the EU have been doing exactly the same, or more, for years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1