Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Freeview over wi-fi...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Freeview over wi-fi... Reply with quote

As per title really, moving into a new house soon and will be getting sky installed downstairs, but want TV in the bedroom, and not willing to pay sky for multi room.

House doesn't have an aerial installed, and seems like a big expense for something to occasionally watch Dave etc on in the evenings, are there any dongles that just let you stream channels? Don't really want on demand or to go down a droid box etc route, ideally just an off the shelf live TV dongle...

Any products to suggest?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find anything proper cheap so just use my Xbox for Freeview now. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it the easy way, COAX cable from the sky box to the TV.

Had sky for decades, when installed the engineer left a reel of coax so
that was used to pipe it into my room.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sky do an app that you can use on your phone or tablet. Biggest pain would be changing channel if you connect it to a TV away from you.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want to watch and on what device. You get a reasonable amount on Amazon with the Fire TV. If your satellite dish has a 4x LNB you could run an extra coax to wherever and put a cheap Freesat box in (or an old Sky box). There's also the Sky Go app.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got Sky Q, and picked up a mini box at a car boot for a fiver. Also got Apple TV, Fire TV and a Fire stick dotted about the house. I used have a media PC for downloaded movies, but now just plug a USB stick into the Fire TV.

For cheap casual watching, I'd probably recommend the Fire Stick. £35 for the one with Alexa voice control - a bit gimmicky, but can save scrolling through channels if you know what you are after. Double it for the Fire TV box, and you get the USB port and 4k.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no aerial either.

When I got rid of sky (£100 a month, fuck that!) I got a freesat box for the main tv.

I have the old sky box for the bedroom, you can get the free to view channels on it.

I have a firestick in the kitchen where I mainly watch BBC or ITV (plus Amazon prime sometimes) and a Roku stick in the guest bedroom.

All work fine, all do the job and other than initial cost don't cost me a penny in subscriptions (obviously prime does but I would have that for the purchasing anyway) I would recommend a Firestick over the Roku one though, it's much more US biased.

So really it's just a case of seeing which suits you best.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for coaxial from sky box, maybe route it along the skirting and up through ceiling to bedroom.

I can't see any alternatives but these:

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/gadgets-tech/television/best-tv-streaming-boxes-sticks-reviews-sky-sports-netflix-apple-amazon-fire-google-chromecast-a7185261.html

There seem to be HDD recorders that connect to wifi to receive normal telly, but not sure if they still need an aerial.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't TVCatchup.com do all the freeview channels?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:51 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run a coax cable from the 2nd output of your sky box you can buy a "remote eye" and using the hidden setup menu bring up the option to turn it on which if you place the eye (an infrared receiver which plugs into the 2nd tv end of the coax) then once enabled you can switch on/off and do channels and all the features as if you were downstairs. No need for a 2nd sub or a multiroom and some packs will come with a 2nd remote to save you taking the one you have up and down.

If you want to watch different channels through sky at the same time this won't be sufficient but for light use its fine.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:28 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google chromecast. Doesn’t even need a remote as you control it from your smartphone.

Unlike everything else you can access Now TV also.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1