Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stick or change? And longer commute advice needed.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:32 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Stick or change? And longer commute advice needed. Reply with quote

Hi, For 14 years I have been self employed but my retail business has collapsed and will be ceasing trading in July. I have a contract offer on the table from the NHS which I have accepted and they are doing the DBS checks etc so I have a little bit of time before changes happen. So -

My current bike is a YBR250 which has been excellent for me and ticks every box currently but the new commute is going to be 20 miles including 18 on the motorway each way. The bike will happily do 70mph but how will it be held at this for 38 miles a day? Also and more importantly its a light bike, I wanted a light bike because I am 65kg and need to move it around without the engine on at home but when I do 70mph I am tossed around like a rag doll. The bike has a givi screen I am unsure if this actually provides anything for me because I am 6ft1. I am not looking forward to the ride but needs must.

Do I change for a twin cyl? I would really want to keep the kerbweight the same or not much more, my old GPZ500 was officially 225kg and that was a maul every-time.

Also what are the music apps people use these days where I can either download from a pc or off the internet with no cost? I would want to convert some Cd's but a lot of stuff is on youtube these days.

Cheers

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Stick or change? And longer commute advice needed. Reply with quote

For the bike, you have plenty to chose from. I'd go and sit on a few, wheel some around and see what takes your fancy. Although (as usual) Id suggest a cbr 600f + top box.

stephen_o wrote:

Also what are the music apps people use these days where I can either download from a pc or off the internet with no cost? I would want to convert some Cd's but a lot of stuff is on youtube these days.

Cheers

This will depend a lot on what you're looking to play them on. If you have CDs to covert, any phone or mp3 player will play them.
I use spotify and download entire playlists, but I do pay for premium subs.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want lighter than a gpz500 you're going to struggle..
my old 500 felt light and nimble. It also got knocked around on the motorway a bit.

Ninja 300 or a little KTM of some sorts ?

Spotify. Few quid a month and you can save offline playlists.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:10 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I had been reading poor reviews of KTM's on here. I can't remember if I looked at a Ninja 300 when I was hunting around before buying the YBR. Will have a look online.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the CB500 exactly for this? Nippy if you want it to be, cheap to maintain, good mileage?

A good thing to remember is that a heavy bike does not always mean a difficult to move bike, dependant on "where" it holds its weight. For example, my mate's FZ6 is much of a muchness in weight with my ZZR, according to the book, but the ZZR is a complete lardy pig to move about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:53 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup CB500 comes straight to mind.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not change anything at home to make moving a bike around easier? Then you could choose the right bike for you, rather than limiting yourself to small, light and enough poke? What are your limitations at home?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:13 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is kept at the side of my house tucked in between the back door and shed locked behind a side gate, the width of the drive at that point is about that of an old mini, the other side of the gate (which is a half gate - half panel) the drive slopes up to the road (the house is on a hill and the gardens are split level. The drive from the front of the house was widened by me after I bought the house so I could get a car on there. What I have to do is turn the bike around at the front on the wider part of the drive (3 point turn) then reverse it down, wiggle it through the side gate and down the side of the house to its parking spot. Not helping matters is that my wheelie bins and 4 recycling bins are kept behind the panel, and all of this is due to get cleared out in due course to make way for tool cupboards.

I used to get the GPZ through the gate easier than the YBR because the bars were narrower but had to have the engine running up the slope - not enough width to push the bikes with the grab handles. The YBR I can sit on it to control it and scoot it along with my feet until clear of the house to start it up.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deauville would be ideal if it fits down your path.

Comfy, can hustle if need be, shaft drive, fuel efficient and loads of storage.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about one of the older Hornets, not too expensive to pick up, the FS model has a little fairing, weight is supposedly under 200kg

I use mine for a similar commute to you, I do notice in gusty wind on the motorway that the bars do jiggle slightly but I've put this down to being wind catching my arms and it's me causing the movement (doesn't happen in calm conditions) no issue, just a bit odd first time I realised.

I used to use a 125cc varadero for the same commute, finding routes parallel to the motorway that didn't add much time wise (were actually less likely to clog up than the motorway) made the journey more pleasant and gives me options if I'm on the motorway as it grinds to a halt

A smaller bike can be a benefit on a clogged motorway, being able to get through the traffic and speed isn't an issue as you're in a traffic jam - what's traffic like at the time you'll likely be using the route?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the Yamaha MT03 after 2015 IMO it's best quality 300cc:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/yamaha/yamaha-mt-03-first-ride

FYI there is new Ninja 400 which is lighter tnen tnen the old one:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/ninja-400/2018/

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:20 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Newcastle-under-Lyme Staffs and will be commuting to Stafford. The A34 runs right next to (literally) my house and goes all the way to the workplace but their are so many roundabouts, T Lights and speed cameras that it's a slow route although I expect it would be pleasant on the YBR. The Alternative is to take the M6 from Junction 15 to 14 which would cut possibly 10-15 mins off the time each way. The work times are 7am to 3pm 3 days a week plus extra days as overtime as and when so I will be missing the peak potteries gridlock. I will start to look at the suggestions but I really need to try and make it work with the YBR unless I can save some cash changing - which I doubt as until I have had a few pay packets there's a list of higher priorities at home.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:24 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Stick or change? And longer commute advice needed. Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
my old GPZ500 was officially 225kg

Wut? 176kg dry + 25 (tops) for fuel, water and oil = 200kg.

Wild thought, what about a midi scooter? Motorways are dull anyway, why not do them in comfort?

Burgman 400, Kawasaki J300 or similar. Big screens, great weather protection, weight isn't really an issue since it's all low down.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

was going to suggest a burger but rog beat me to it

loads of space for carrying stuff

comfy
weather resistant
cheap to run

happy sitting at 70 on motor way with a bit left over for overtakes

if I had my old job I would have another like a shot

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:44 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about those because I saw someone post on here a few months ago about a super scoot and I thought wow. I will take a look because weather protection and comfort will be big ticks!

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you put on some weight and muscle? Genuine question, I guess it's because you're old?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total weight isn't the only story. My crossrunner is a heavy beast at circa 245kg buts it carries it low so it's not hard to move around.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:26 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be 94kg and in 2014 was diagnosed with ibs after 25 years of weight gain and chronic constipation, there are a number of related ailments all linked to my stomach and guts being unable to process anything. I have low absorption of nutrients and am anemic in winter so I am now on an nhs diet. I lost 35kg (got it up by 5 through pigging myself) went from a 42 chest and 38 (with gut overhanging on top) waist bloke who farted every couple of minutes to a 37 chest and a 30 waist with a flat gut farting once or twice a day and from toileting once every 4 days tearing my rectum and blocking toilets to usually twice a day in comfort. I lost muscle mass especially my upper body which looks skeletal sometimes.

My parents thought I was dying. I am 46.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:52 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torn rectums normally indicate Harleys, but I would definitely consider a scootay as an alternative.

You can get Tucanu Termoscud invalid blankets for most scooters that do an great job at increasing the already excellent weather protection.

I didn't love my Burgman but it was undeniably a very practical machine.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:55 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that suggestion Rog thanks - The cover not the Harley - My rectum was stitched and is now fine and I don't generally stink of sweat so I won't be going near a Harley besides far too noisy.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:07 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Why don't you put on some weight and muscle? Genuine question, I guess it's because you're old?

Which 'charm school' did you go to?

Last edited by BusterGonads on 12:57 - 25 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought - where you park the bike, can you not park on a turntable and spin it around? Then you can ride it forwards to where you want it, spin it around on it's axis and ride out again?

I have the same problem as you, at the moment have to get off the bike and push it backwards up a pavement, jump back on and paddle backwards downhill between two cars on uneven surface with nearly no clearance. My Dad is making me a turntable so I can just ride in, spin round and be ready to ride out next morning. Lazy Susan off Amazon was £13. Easier if you have a bike with a centre stand.

It seems backwards and a bit sacrificial to get a bike that suits your parking needs rather than one you like that will do a better job at commuting?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:32 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good idea and if I had a heavier bike then that would be the only way possible because of the slope on the drive and steep camber up to the apex from the road to the boundary. I don't think I would have room for it though, the max width at the side of the house is 6ft and I and visitors need 3ft to get through on foot so the only place it could be is on the wider part of the front drive which is 9ft but is only 1 car length long to the kerb at that width. Tight house ex council.

The YBR doesn't have a centrestand which tbh is a damn nuisance especially when I do maintenance. I need a paddock stand at some point.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely recommend a midi or maxi scooter for this kind of commuting, easy to handle, comfy and great weather protection.

tactical_pancake
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:36 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a potential spanner in the works:
https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/m6-junction-13-to-junction-15-smart-motorway/

If it's anything like their 'masterpiece' of work above Nantwich you'll want to give the motorway a wide berth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2