BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR125 project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stuster
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:09 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s good to see you have not lost interest yet! Keep the updates coming. And some pics!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 290 days between these two posts...

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cant believe how long it's been since I started working on this and last updated the thread. I got a little bit side tracked when I decided it would be a good idea to buy a 1989 Toyota MR2 and then found it's full of rust Laughing

New CDI fixed my starting issues so I cracked on with fixing the very horrible fairings. Unfortunately my SD card packed in a few months back and I lost some good photos of how truly shit the fairings looked before I started. Front fairing was split in two and every panel was missing most of it's clips. I spent a lot of time making up new brackets and fixing cracks with abs and acetone.
Here's what it looks like now.
https://i.imgur.com/B0vgIyW.jpg

Took a lot more work and time than I probably should have spent on it but at least it looks pretty decent.
I then got a new exhaust, lock set and other general bits and bobs and when it was ready I took it for a test ride up the road where the problems started Laughing Turned out that I hadnt torqued the head bolts down to spec which was letting water in. Long story short, after taking the cylinder off because of a bolt I snapped I had the engine back together correctly this time and took it for another test ride. And the same thing is still happening...

Thinking back to how the old cylinder head valve guide was buggered I wondered if the engine ever ran properly. I'm eager to just get out and do some riding now and I need one less project to do, so I think the next step is to fit a new engine which brings us to this.

https://i.imgur.com/LOSUflL.jpg

While getting the engine out I noticed one of the bolts was missing, another I could undo by hand and one was chewed up badly, so I think someone has had a similar idea in the past.

Anyway it looks a lot better than it did a year ago Laughing Now I just need to wait for a new engine.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:39 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't work out where the f**k we are with this. ..

So you've spent money on a spray job, but your engines sh@gged?

.... and at no point did #bikelife or "drift bitch" stickers make you suspect the engines not 100% ?

Sorry to be harsh, but it's a Honda, nothing more, nothing less....

Hopefully, with a decent engine, you end up with a salvageable bike out of all this .....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I can't work out where the f**k we are with this. ..

So you've spent money on a spray job, but your engines sh@gged?

.... and at no point did #bikelife or "drift bitch" stickers make you suspect the engines not 100% ?

Sorry to be harsh, but it's a Honda, nothing more, nothing less....

Hopefully, with a decent engine, you end up with a salvageable bike out of all this .....

Well i painted it myself so minus the price of the tools which I need for other future projects it didnt cost me much to do. At the time I wanted to learn how to paint, but the amount of hours I spent prepping for it was just not worth it.
I get the harshness, it was fucking stupid to put so much time/ money into this when all I needed was something cheap to ride about on for a while.

I dont know why I thought the engine would be any good to be honest. It was so long ago that I changed the cylinder head that I had forgotten about all that damage to the valve until I read through this thread again.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Echo..

Ste wrote:
It came with documents?

Echo...echo...echo...
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
NJD wrote:
Echo..

Ste wrote:
It came with documents?

Echo...echo...echo...

Ah forgot about that. It didnt come with any documents but I have the V5 now and have done checks to make sure it's not stolen.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so update. I've been an idiot again and purchased an engine from a guy on facebook that never turned up and was daft enough to not use paypal. Anyway not wanting to spend any more on another I went out and bought a nice 2014 YBR125 that was going cheap. It had a problem with intermittent starting but a little bit of contact cleaner down the ignition barrel sorted that. Not bad for £500.

Anyway that leaves me with far too many bikes in the garage so I need to get rid of this CBR pretty quick. Selling it as it is wouldnt get me much so I thought I may as well try another gasket with sealant this time, but it still leaked coolant.

Then I got to thinking that my torque wrench might be completely out of calibration since it's about 10 years old and was apparently pretty cheap. Probably doesnt help that the minimum spec on it is just below what I need either.
Spent some money on a decent one and when I tried it on the bolts they moved quite a bit. With them all torqued down properly and the engine heated up to running temp it doesnt seem to be leaking at all now Very Happy
I'd love to go give it a test to make sure but I told my brother he could have a few of the better parts from this for his cbr125 so first I need to sort out putting the parts he gave me back on. i think if it all goes well and it gets an MOT I should be able to sell this for somewhere around what I've wasted on it.

kentbikers
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:40 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your head is warped mate run a flat rule and check the base and the head, if you find its not true get it skimmed pretty cheap.

Also check for any water rust marks on the studs, if there is water leaking from the stud area the warp is there Smile

Good luck on a fix mate they are easy engines to fix i have teared down a few Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to include pictures of the YBR, or even better a link to the advert.

Make sure all the numbers on the V5 match up with what's stamped on the bike.

Still glad it wasn't my investment.

Spending money on restoring bikes seems like a good idea until it comes to spending money. Laughing

Facebook marketplace is a lark. Recently discovered it and at the same time discovered I don't understand modern day English. Never would I hand money over on that place. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Facebook marketplace is a lark. Recently discovered it and at the same time discovered I don't understand modern day English. Never would I hand money over on that place. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I went to view a car on there once, through a friend as I don't use FaceBook. It had a clutch right at the top of the biting point, the owner had massive oil leak patches where it was parked and the engine had a knocking noise. Rolling Eyes Not to mention the fact that the car was uninsured and untaxed and his "auntie" had a new car, but when I got there the engine was red hot. Laughing And they wanted a firm £800 for a '55 Fiesta because it was a GHIA Laughing

Nothing good can come from buying off FB. Thumbs Up

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time. I thought the bike was doing ok after leaving it running for a little while, but trying it again a few days later it had the same bogging problem and oil was dripping out of the exhaust. I had enough so stuck it on facebook and within 2 hours someone turned up and took it away from me.

What an experience facebook marketplace is Laughing Within an hour I had 5 messages, multiple offers for less than half what I was asking and a swap deal for a moped. Definitely be prepared to have lots of people waste your time if you post something there.

Anyway at least the YBR125 turned out ok. The starting issue came back and almost stranded me at work once, but a new ignition switch for £25 sorted that.
Here's a picture from before I removed the terrible mirrors and got a new windscreen.
https://i.imgur.com/841lzJW.jpg

I guess now I can finish the other project bike I've got Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2