Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kitchen dispute legal help required

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:30 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Kitchen dispute legal help required Reply with quote

Hi guys I’m in a real dilemma here and looking for some advice.

So in January me and my partnee moved in to a new rented property. Everything was going well we hadn’t met the landlord however seemed to be decent enough we were looking for a long term agreement and they seemed to be happy with this. The house needed some work done re decorated new carpet and a few walls plastered which we had done in a hurry as we needed accommodation ASAP to which the landlord replied he would reemburse us for. This work was completed we paid and moved in.
We got on to the subject of the kitchen and upgrading it to which we were told if we went ahead with this the cost of kitchen per month would be deducted from our rent each month. Being naive and our first property we decided to go ahead with this went through the motions and placed an order for a kitchen which was put on a credit card. Things started to go south when a flat next door was repossessed and with bailiffs sniffing about our landlord got very cagey and started acting suspicious. It later came to our attention the mortgage was in arrears and had not been payed several times and that we never had a valid tenancy agreement and we had to move out in a hurry.
After speaking to the kitchen company about this we were informed we would still have to pay as it was out with the cancellation period and even though we never had the kitchen fitted. Do I have a leg to stand on with them or should I just go direct to credit card company and claim a section 75?

Thanks

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:04 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that you have nothing to lose here, Goods not received, order cannot be fulfilled - its a bit of a twist on the story but section 75 is worth a go.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:13 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that’s what I was thinking hopefully someone with knowledge of the matter can confirm

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I would say that you have nothing to lose here, Goods not received, order cannot be fulfilled - its a bit of a twist on the story but section 75 is worth a go.

What if the company had measured up the unique dimensions of this particular kitchen and had built cabinets to suit, now sitting in a warehouse and potentially unsuited to anyone else's place?

But really, doing any kind of decoration, repair or refurbishment as a tenant in the UK is madness. You pay a fortune as it is, then leave the landlord a gift when he ends the contract.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:49 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately yes it’s been a hard lesson to learn but out of our hands really having to move again within 6 months loosing deposit etc and having to find somewhere else not really in a financial position to pay for a kitchen I don’t have or need

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total Fail.

you put money into someone elses asset.

why? what was your thought pattern?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:54 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it, tbh I wasn’t keen on the idea but was eventually persuaded... massive mistake like I said naive

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:24 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any breach or misrepresentation by the trader.

But where's the stuff that you've bought and paid for?

I mean, if they actually went ahead and made it, and you've paid for it, why is it not in your possession? Particularly any appliances.

Would be the tack I'd probably start with.

Angle for a partial refund at retail price for as much as possible, settle for actually receiving anything that's worth slinging on Scumtree.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:19 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks roger your correct no idea if anything has been manufactured as we never arranged fitting date once we found out the situation

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:15 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing has been manufacturered then the only cost to the company is the sales process so they shouldn't be able to refuse a majority proportion of a refund.

How have you lost your deposit? I am a landlord of a buy to let and the deposit has to go into a government approved scheme and not be touched by the landlord - you should get it back from them or their insurers.

I can tell you as a landlord that nothing delights me more than when tenants tell me "they" want to do this and that and it adds value to the property which they can't take with them.

I feel for you.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:08 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No deposit back and it wasn’t put into safe deposit scheme.. cash no receipt there was circumstances surrounding the even meaning we had to take some asap, nightmare situation

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
No deposit back and it wasn’t put into safe deposit scheme.. cash no receipt there was circumstances surrounding the even meaning we had to take some asap, nightmare situation

I have no idea what the above even means.

Presumably the landlord has skipped other compulsory legal niceties like providing you with copies of the Government's How to Rent booklet; a gas safety certificate; or an energy performance certificate?

In view of the impending repossession by the lender, you need to contact Shelter or Citizen's Advice pronto to ascertain what rights you might have, what you should do about future rent payments etc. Eg, in some circs it might be possible to make rent payments direct to the lender to put off repossession. CA can also advise about the kitchen fiasco.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:46 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have explained better. We have now moved out of the premesis but did not receive our deposit back as it was never placed in the government deposit scheme or were given a receipt when we paid cash. Lesson learned there

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
Sorry I should have explained better. We have now moved out of the premesis but did not receive our deposit back as it was never placed in the government deposit scheme or were given a receipt when we paid cash. Lesson learned there

Ok, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon... Brick Wall

You shouldn't just write off the deposit because you have no receipt - talk to CA about that too. If you were to take it to a county court and were able to persuade a judge that on balance the evidence shows a deposit was paid, then he'd order the landlord to pay you up to 3x the amount of the deposit by way of a slap on the wrist. (Mind you, if chummy is defaulting on his mortgage payments he probably doesn't have any cash to pay you with...)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
robertw95 wrote:

Ok, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon... Brick Wall

You shouldn't just write off the deposit because you have no receipt - talk to CA about that too. If you were to take it to a county court and were able to persuade a judge that on balance the evidence shows a deposit was paid, then he'd order the landlord to pay you up to 3x the amount of the deposit by way of a slap on the wrist. (Mind you, if chummy is defaulting on his mortgage payments he probably doesn't have any cash to pay you with...)

Then get into any equity left on the properties when the bank take them back.

***MCN doesn't even know if that is possible. But also considers that 'Glassing the Landlord' would be more satisfying. ***

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
MCN doesn't even know if that is possible.

Oh it is.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/charging-orders/#h-what-is-a-charging-order

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:29 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a ccj on the landlord and when that is granted go for a charging order on the house. The landlord has acted illegally, if you want to go through citizens advice then they will assist.

1, letter before action - I want my deposit back or small claims court
2, small claims court - get the jugement then when you have it you are asked how you want to enforce it.
3, baliff, debt collector or a charging order on the house if you think it will be resold which will prevent any solicitor being able to transfer the legal title without you being settled.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:51 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd introduce his house and car to a rather large catapult and 10 or so spark plugs.

You won't get the money back, but that is your fault for not making sure your money was placed in a tenancy deposit scheme, which I believe is now a legal requirement, but also for paying your own cash monies on something you don't own Confused

Lick of paint, sure, but kitchen, can go fuck a goat.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Kitchen dispute legal help required Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
Hi guys I’m in a real dilemma here and looking for some advice.
we had to move out in a hurry.
After speaking to the kitchen company about this we were informed we would still have to pay as it was out with the cancellation period and even though we never had the kitchen fitted. Do I have a leg to stand on with them or should I just go direct to credit card company and claim a section 75?

Thanks

Since it was you (through no fault of your own) that broke the contract. Then there is NO CCA claim.

I would be asking the kitchen co to provide the units, so at least you can sell them on and recover some of your loss.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd introduce his house and car to a rather large catapult and 10 or so spark plugs.

You won't get the money back, but that is your fault for not making sure your money was placed in a tenancy deposit scheme, which I believe is now a legal requirement, but also for paying your own cash monies on something you don't own Confused

Lick of paint, sure, but kitchen, can go fuck a goat.

I'd be introducing the car to the house - at about 40mph!

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 06:55 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But spark plugs are cheaper Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1