Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do British bikers fight oppressive government rules ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

lemoutard
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:02 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: How do British bikers fight oppressive government rules ? Reply with quote

Hello, I’m a french biker. In my country the administration regularly takes new measures to make the hobby of motorcycling and also the daily use of cars more and more expensive for the users while not being safer.
There is for example the point based driving licence combined with the always more numerous automatic speed radars, the mandatory and periodical technical control for motorbikes, or the new max speed limit to 80km/h instead of 90 on so called departmental roads.

The car drivers (that is to say all the French people) don’t protest much, but bikers do. We have a national association called FFMC which often organises public protests. I joined one of them mostly to meet fellow bikers, but I was really disappointed.
We were 200 and what we did was a slow ride downtown with a stop on the highway. Did this bother any of the local government officials (let alone the national ones) ? I think not at all. The only thing we did (besides damaging our engines in low gears and making lot of noise) is to increase the hatred that some car drivers have against motorcycle drivers.
They should be our closest allies, but instead of working with them we blocked them for half an hour on the highway, I find this pretty dumb.

So I’m wondering if the British (or any other nation) found a better solution.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:21 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bend over and take it. Although it would be interesting to see what the reaction would be to a 100bhp upper limit if one were proposed.

Although, the UK government is very neglectful of motorcycles in general. So on the whole, they simply don't bother about them.

This works both ways because while they have a tendancy to fail to consider motorcycles as part of their transport strategies and road designs, they also don't come up with dumb shit like huge numberplates and mandatory reflective helmet stickers.

Most of the idiotic and/or annoying motorcycle related legislation that's come out recently has originated in the EU, not the UK. There's no point complaining or protesting about EU legislation because the European comissioners making it aren't elected and can't be removed and therefore don't care what the proles think.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: How do British bikers fight oppressive government rules Reply with quote

Sounds just like here in the UK.

lemoutard wrote:
We have a national association called FFMC which often organises public protests. I joined one of them mostly to meet fellow bikers, but I was really disappointed.

We have a similarly useless organisation called MAG (Motorcycle Action Group). Long on words, short on effectiveness, and similarly more an excuse for biker get-togethers than any real hope of achieving anything. We also have a chap here on BCF called Rogerborg who likes to draw attention to them for some weird reason known only to himself Razz

stinkwheel wrote:
Most of the idiotic and/or annoying motorcycle related legislation that's come out recently has originated in the EU, not the UK. There's no point complaining or protesting about EU legislation because the European comissioners making it aren't elected and can't be removed and therefore don't care what the proles think.

I hold out little (no) hope for the situation to change any when (if) we finally get free of the EU.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:06 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: How do British bikers fight oppressive government rules Reply with quote

Let me explain why I draw attention to MAG.

lemoutard wrote:
what we did was a slow ride downtown with a stop on the highway. Did this bother any of the local government officials (let alone the national ones) ? I think not at all. The only thing we did (besides damaging our engines in low gears and making lot of noise) is to increase the hatred that some car drivers have against motorcycle drivers.

This is also MAG's default strategy. I participated in a similar ride several years back, on a Sunday when nobody who mattered would even have known about it, with much the same counter-productive result.

Local MAG groups have had some local successes with local issues.

At a national or European level, I cannot think of a single thing that MAG has demonstrably actually achieved for the benefit of bikers.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined MAG for similar reasons to lemoutard
(birds of a feather, stick it to man, down with that sort of thing! etc)
and was similarly disappointed.

The local membership secretary was an ignorant sour faced cow
who ignored anyone not wearing a leather waistcoat with badges on it, ie who looked like a 'proper biker' FFS

MAG itself seemed too far adrift of common everyday riders,
I got the impression it loved to speak down to its members but never listen and that magazine was utter utter shite.
It was so bad I even stopped tearing it out of the plastic bag and binned it immediately on arrival.

MAG, fuck em

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:08 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People make online petitions, join Facebook groups, occasionally go on a protest ride, post rants on Internet forums, and other such anarchist type behaviour.

The government are scared of us!! Mr. Green

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, our government really don't even consider bikes

Push bikes - great, eco shit and all that. Dance!

Diesel cars Thumbs Down

Petrol cars Neutral

Electric and hybrid Thumbs Up

Motorbikes/mopeds etc. Thinking Na. not interested.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:09 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We whinge. But hands up who actually replied the the recent VNUK consultation?

The government rarely legislate on anything without first doing a consultation. Replies to them can barely get out of double figures and are usually dominated by replies from corporate bodies with a vested interest of one sort or another.

They use these as the basis for their legislation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications?departments%5B%5D=department-for-transport&publication_filter_option=consultations

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:56 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

They use these as the basis for their legislation.

Do they? Really?

I've only replied to one consultation in the past year. It pertained to certain elements of the 'violent crime reduction act' relating to firearms.

The consultation got tens of thousands of responses, 78% of which were opposed to the legislation.

It's still going ahead unchanged.

They do a petition to say that they listen. The response has little to no bearing on their eventual actions.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:48 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
But hands up who actually replied the the recent VNUK consultation?

Hand

On a local level, Glasgow Cooncil just announced that they'll be consulting on the upcoming LEZ zone. "The policy to extend the zone to all vehicle types will be supported by an economic appraisal and there will be engagement/consultation with interested parties over the next 12-18 months in order that the process is proportionate."

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=22915

Which is nice. However, Al Beeb confidently report on the minimum emission standards for petrol and diesel cars, something which is definitely not in the Cooncil's literature.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44481390

It rather sounds to me like someone blabbed the conclusion of the "consultation" before it even started.

It's OK though, I've reported it to MAG as they've requested, so they'll swing into Action any second now. Whistle

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by smegballs on 21:36 - 17 May 2021; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:19 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:

Govt: We want to ban legally held .50 cal rifles.

Consultation: Why? They are tightly controlled as is, and literally zero crime is commited with legal Section 1 .50 cal rifles. Not to mention the sheer price of said rifles an ammunition is a massive barrier to entry.

Govt: Doesn't matter, we're banning them anyway because we can. P.S you can't buy a knife from amazon on other online shopping either.

Precisely this. Still it's being debated in Parliament on Wednesday, so there is still a very slim hope...

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After exiting the EU we (the UK) stir up some trouble in tbe eastern ex-commie States of Europe. Then while NATO puts its military assets east we invade Fronce and take back what rightfully belongs to us (most of western and northern Fronce. We then declare New Britania a libertarian state and ditch stupid anti-bike Europonce regulations.

Simple.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR all..

There are too many things that 'you cannot do' to 'force' any government to consider a minority.

Jumping up and down at the back of the queue of people trying to fight for their own agenda who think the ones at the back are misbehaving.

There was a craze before that all the bikers will stop traffic by a mass protest to get their point across.

No one else gives flying shite about biker's plight.
And holding up the general public so the biker sect can hold a mass tantrum does nothing to win hearts.

MAG are regularly lamb basted on motorbike forums for their ineffective and flaccid attempts to force governments to bow to their requests.
They have very eloquently lobbied the bastirts in Whitehall and got pumped from one office to another.
Government use time to beat opposing unpopular opinion.

They speed things up so the enemy are not ready to fight or slow things down in a hope some of the enemy die or get fed up fighting.

It is a horrible game to play.

The alternative, Setting Fire to things gets bigger headlines but the government gave them self much more robust laws to thwart that tactic too.

One problem is that not enough folk are in the 'pressure' groups like MAG and BMF and the others in Europe.
We are our own enemy.
We see the groups are weak so we do not want to associate with losers.
But still moan about what the government are doing and then ask, "Why can't someone do something to stop them?"

Perhaps the clevererer folk shouting down the Bike Groups have a better plan to beat the spoilers in Parliament?

I think motorcycling 'as some of us know it' will drastically change in the next ten 15 years.
I do not think anything will make it as popular.
The gov will damn us using the roads with scammeras or force us out by insurance premiums, limit the BHP or engine size. Prevent us modificating the beasts (there is some fun in that).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:15 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Perhaps the clevererer folk shouting down the Bike Groups have a better plan to beat the spoilers in Parliament?

Bribery.

Ask the Secretary of State for Transport or one of his appropriate sub-creatures if they fancies some 'campaign contributions', or not.

I'd contribute to an open bribery campaign if it were properly run and accounted for.

It can't be any worse value than paying Leon Manning (retired) or ... Allan help us, Lembit Opik... to sit at the back of meetings and say nothing in a very constructive manner.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
Govt: Doesn't matter, we're banning them anyway because we can. P.S you can't buy a knife from amazon on other online shopping either.

Moras, Opinels and the like are available on Amazon, but for how long who knows. UK ebay doesn't have either. "If it looks scary" will probably be written into UK legislation at some point. We've reached the point where "zombie knife" is included in legal definitions, and the judiciary can decide that context doesn't matter in the realm of comedy so it's only a matter of time. Liberal faggots will lap it all up and call for more, while keeping their eyes closed where deemed necessary, just in case someone is offended.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn how to not give a 5#it. The worst that can happen is you get fined tben jailed then lose your job. However in the mega-unemployment state of tomorrow where almost everyone is effectively jobless/role-less, the leverage that threatening a person with fines and/or prison will lessen. There's a whole sub class of the population now who are pioneering the "don't give a 5#it" attitude. Just follow their lead. Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MCN wrote:

Bribery.

Ask the Secretary of State for Transport or one of his appropriate sub-creatures if they fancies some 'campaign contributions', or not.

I'd contribute to an open bribery campaign if it were properly run and accounted for.

It can't be any worse value than paying Leon Manning (retired) or ... Allan help us, Lembit Opik... to sit at the back of meetings and say nothing in a very constructive manner.

I fully (Foolishly) agree there.

Lemsip Optic, Capt. 'Don't tell him your name Pike' Manering and Is that Allen over there? Allan, Allan, Allan.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHk4B1MtQF8

Are doing what they can do. Which is probably practically Hee Haw against professional thwarters who are politicians and civil servants.

Government needs a big stick to swing it.

Or a bribe. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:08 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you. The way things are going. Simply declare SORN, attach a fake numberplate and do what the fuck you want. You just rendered yourself invisible to algorithms and optical reading robots which is what passes for "policing".

Legislation without effective enforcement only works on people who want it to. Hence all the moped crime etc.

Did I ever mention my idea for a numberplate which would read a different number on a camera compared to the naked eye? ...

The chances of being physically huckled for anything these days are slim unless you are doing it in someones face badly enough for them to repeatedly report you.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Did I ever mention my idea for a numberplate which would read a different number on a camera compared to the naked eye? ...

The chances of being physically huckled for anything these days are slim unless you are doing it in someones face badly enough for them to repeatedly report you.

Not as good as my invention of a number plate that looks like bird guano smeared on a camera lens. Or a windscreen wash pump to spray mud on the number plate. "oh dear officer those bloody farmers leaving mud on the road tsk tsk"

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mind you. The way things are going. Simply declare SORN, attach a fake numberplate and do what the fuck you want. You just rendered yourself invisible to algorithms and optical reading robots which is what passes for "policing".

The only reason cloning is not particularly prevalent is that most people are reasonably law abiding.

As far as I can see the only time you are going to get done for cloned plates is if you are in an accident.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I'm sure you have a thread about it.

Scammerapal.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, numbers is our best tactic. Encourage more people to ride. The more popular motorcycle riding is the more likely we are to be taken notice of.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1