Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd try a couple of classic ghost stories, so have recently finished "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson, and "The Turn of the Screw", by Henry James. Preferred the first of the two, but was somewhat underwhelmed by both tbh. So it's back to non-fiction, and am reading about the Plantagenet dynasty - much more gripping!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:01 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Scalzi 'Head on' and the sequel.

Large numbers of people get locked in syndrome and rc bodies are created for them.

I enjoyed them - though his world building was a bit incongruent to me - ie, if the FBI is allowed to have remotely controlled automatons and such things exist in large highly armoured versions, they are SO going to not only choose them, but make significant use of them, whatever society may think about that.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aleister Crowley's "Diary of a Drug Fiend", first published 1922.
An intriguing tale of drug use and addiction among the wealthy in the inter-war years, it is said to be based largely on Crowley's own experiences.

Insightful in places, such insight being as applicable today as it was then. I'm getting towards the end and wondering what conclusions he will draw.

8/10. 9/10.

Edit.
Having finished it, it's not really about drugs at all. There is a lesson to be drawn from it that applies to life in general. And it throws a lot of light on Crowley himself. I now realise I, like many, misunderstood him.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Thought I'd try a couple of classic ghost stories, so have recently finished "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson, and "The Turn of the Screw", by Henry James. Preferred the first of the two, but was somewhat underwhelmed by both tbh. So it's back to non-fiction, and am reading about the Plantagenet dynasty - much more gripping!

Try M.R.James, Victorian short stories. Not scary as much as they are atmospheric.

https://www.chrisjmitchell.com/m-r-james-classic-victorian-ghost-stories/

Today I started reading Sports and Exercise Nutrition 4th Edition, which I swapped with my neighbour for some trail riding magazines.

Quote:
Updated with the latest cutting-edge research findings, the Fourth Edition helps readers make the bridge between nutrition and exercise concepts and their practical applications. The book provides a strong foundation in the science of exercise nutrition and bioenergetics and offers valuable insights into how the principles work in the real world of physical activity and sports medicine. Case Studies and Personal Health and Exercise Nutrition activities engage readers in practical nutritional assessment problems.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Craft, just reminding myself.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touching the void also Tao Te Ching.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Touching the void

It's almost clichéd now, but still an incredible story of survival and sheer will power. Worth reading some of Joe Simpson's other books too, Storms of Silence, This Game of Ghosts, Dark Shadows Falling.

I'm back on the mountaineering stuff myself, with Robert Macfarlane's Mountains of the Mind.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:09 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching "American Assassin", I found out that it was an adaptation of some books, so started reading through them, and I'm about 7 in at the minute (reading in chronological order as opposed to when they were released).

Not bad. The stories are rich and well staged, with the final third always being page turners. The characters are likeable, and one has just been written out and I didn't see it coming at all.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:41 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Orwell 1984

I'm only a 3rd in but thoroughly enjoying it. I just can't believe it was written in the late 40's.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:16 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
George Orwell 1984

I'm only a 3rd in but thoroughly enjoying it. I just can't believe it was written in the late 40's.

Similar to The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. I think that was written in the late 50's...

I finished reading Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill. Good entertaining book about AI's that remain after the Human race is extinct. 8/10

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll add those to my kindle list.

I have been looking for something different after reading after getting pretty stuck in a rut.

I have read all the Tom Clancy books which I really enjoyed and got me back into reading again. Then went on to Jack Reacher of which I only have the latest remaining I think, tbh they all got very samey in the end. A bit like watching Die Hard 21 times.

After that I moved a bit more to crime fiction with the DCI Ryan series by LJ Ross. On the whole I thought these were entertaining and a couple really kept me hooked. Cheap as chips in the kindle too. At a similar time I also started reading DI Nick Dixon by Damien Boyd, if you have Prime you can get these for free with your monthly book. I thought these were a bit too short but were good books.I would recommend not reading both series at the same time as I ended up getting confused with which detective I was actually reading about. I get the same thing with TV shows sometimes.

I intermixed the reading of those with the John Milton series by Mark Dawson. If you like Jack Reacher this is like the British version really. Saying that I think I actually preferred some of them to Jack Reacher. Also cheap as on kindle.

The latest series I have done is the DCI Erika Foster by Robert Bryndza which again at £2.99 on amazon are good for a read.

I compare most the series above to good TV shows really, with the exception of the Tom Clancy's I found them easy going books great for reading at night when I am tired. I found for quite a while I was not watching any TV but doing some thing useful then reading for 45 mins to an hour before sleeping. I cant rate teh out of 10 individually as TBH there are too many to remember exactly how good they are, but I didn't think any were shit HTH!

Jeez looking at my Amazon account I have way over 100 books now :/ thank god I don't need to keep them on a book shelf. Thats not counting the ones acquired by other "services"

Last edited by natefz6 on 08:44 - 28 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly audible now when driving to jobs. A book I'd always wanted to read - The Citadel, AJ Cronin. Written in the 30's but is relevant today, true classic.

OGR.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30