Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend a quiet modular helmet, Caberg Duke 2?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Recommend a quiet modular helmet, Caberg Duke 2? Reply with quote

Looking for a modular helmet known for its comfort and quietness.
From my research it seems everyone raves about the Caberg Duke and Duke2.
I've tried the Caberg on and while it fit OK in medium, its basically impossible to tell how its going to feel after an hours ride, or how it will feel with sunglasses slid inside it or ear plugs.
My current helmet is OK with nothing in it but as soon as I put ear plugs in, within 20 minutes I get pain all around my forehead. Same with sunglasses. As a result I cut some of the foam from the liner out which solved the pain problem but made it noisier. So i'd rather just get a new one.

Budget around £150, the Caberg 2 is £140. Has anyone got one and can recommend it? Or is there anything better for similar price

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe its your ear plugs have you tried different types?

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

Tried several but the ones I use are the best I can find.
They're the cone shaped ones but with 3 ridges on them, sort of like an xmas tree shape with 3 'lips'.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:19 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best ear plugs to get are the custom moulded ones, the sit right inside your ear and dont stick out at all. I got a set moulded for me at the scottish bike show a few years ago and they are excellent.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:24 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the helmet issue I find its a similar thing to buying shoes, if its not instantly comfortable on your head then its no good, find the right headshape for you. I personally find AGV the best fir for me but cannot suffer an Arai or Shoei on my head for more than 10 mins. Agv tend to be wider at the back and narrower toward the front (like an egg on its side) where Arai and Shoei tend to be to round in shape for my head

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:04 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:
Best ear plugs to get are the custom moulded ones, the sit right inside your ear and dont stick out at all. I got a set moulded for me at the scottish bike show a few years ago and they are excellent.

eBay, silicone putty, 16g. For £3 and a few minutes of effort, there's no good reason not to DIY it.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:49 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Recommend a quiet modular helmet, Caberg Duke 2? Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Looking for a modular helmet known for its comfort and quietness.

I have a Duke. It's comfortable, but it's very noisy. That's an inherent part of a modular helmet's design though.

EazyDuz wrote:
Has anyone got one and can recommend it?

I can't say I'd recommend it as a helmet personally... but, if you really want a modular helmet, it was cheap, and it's comfortable, and if I was going to buy another modular helmet I'd certainly consider the Duke.

However, for me, the noise is a real problem, and I rarely ever see the benefit of the fact that it flips up.

I flip it up in petrol stations just because I can, and I ride with it flipped up maybe once a year.

If it didn't flip up it wouldn't be an issue in petrol stations, and it's arguably a lot safer just to wear a normal full-face. I can put up with one day of being hot Smile

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
almostthere wrote:

Tried several but the ones I use are the best I can find.
They're the cone shaped ones but with 3 ridges on them, sort of like an xmas tree shape with 3 'lips'.

May i suggest these "Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs Extreme Hearing protection"... works for me.

Helmet acoustics will make little difference once you come across ear plugs that work for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:46 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a Caberg Duke II a while back until I totalled it in an off. They’re not great helmets IMO and yes, I did find them quite loud when riding. It was big - makes you look like an astronaut or a fucking baby (they’ve always got massive heads) and the fit was just OK, nothing special. The flip front worked but it was a bit of a chore to flip upwards with gloves on I found, and when it was up, was very top heavy so riding with the front up was pretty much a no-no for me. The drop down sun visor was a pain with it’s top-of-the-helmet slider rather than a switch on the side of the helmet as most others have. Peripheral visibility from what I remember wasn’t great at all, in fact, I’ve never had a helmet as bad as the Duke 2 for that. It did however work well when I had my off and stayed shut and in the side impact and subsequent slide I was completely unscathed.

I’ve read really good things about the Shark Evoline S3, including noise levels, but I think this is out of your budget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't cheap out on helmets, try loads on and buy the one with a perfect fit and let the dreaded credit card take the pain. Bit of overtime pays it off.

Unfortunately for my bank account, my head fits Shoei.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Recommend a quiet modular helmet, Caberg Duke 2? Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
I rarely ever see the benefit of the fact that it flips up.

As a speccy four eyes, a flip up is nearly crucial for me. Being able to put my lid on without having to handle my glasses is a big big plus. I really hate setting off and then noticing I've got a mucky thumb print right in front of my eye!

Totally agree about the noise though. On the days I'm wearing contact lenses in winter, I'm happy in one of my other lids.

(my) flip up is considerably heavier too. But not enough for it to bother me too much. Mine is a Nolan N90 for info.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Recommend a quiet modular helmet, Caberg Duke 2? Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
As a speccy four eyes, a flip up is nearly crucial for me. Being able to put my lid on without having to handle my glasses is a big big plus.

To be fair, I also flip it up before I put it on - but it wouldn't bother me if I couldn't.

Why can't you put a normal helmet on and then put your glasses on through the gap the visor leaves when you flip that up? That's what I do when I wear sunglasses with a non-modular helmet.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACS custom plugs done at the bike show a few years back.

Also a glasses wearer .....

Also a Shoei head.

XSpirit 3 fits like a glove and is so much quieter than the XR1100 it replaced.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why a modular helmet. If you need sunglasses then look at internal sun visor helmets. As said before, the best fit is better than saving a few quid. (Imho, modular are more noisy, so why bother?)

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Recommend a quiet modular helmet, Caberg Duke 2? Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:

Why can't you put a normal helmet on and then put your glasses on through the gap the visor leaves when you flip that up? That's what I do when I wear sunglasses with a non-modular helmet.

I can, it's possible, just a pain for me. I don't really like to rest my glasses somewhere while I stick my lid on either.

I forgot to say in my earlier post, smoking / vaping on the bike is easier with a flip up lid!

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all my shopping in the supermarket etc. with the helmet flipped up, similarly walking to and from my bike when commuting. Frees up a hand to carry anything. So modular is a win for me.

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro, is quiet enough for me, certainly more silent than any modular Caberg helmet I've ridden with (Justissimo, Konda). It's also substantially nicer feeling on the head, better ventilation etc.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
I do all my shopping in the supermarket etc. with the helmet flipped up

Unless it's being used as a basket..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1