BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap way to make bike hard to steal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:43 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my uni-years, I had a rather depressing collection of Kawasaki AR125 ignition barels on the bench in the shed, where my uncle dumped his hunting bag full of shot-gun shells.

It was an intriguing observation, that a typical motorbike ignition barrel is almost exactly the same diameter as a 12-bore shot-gun shell..... Twisted Evil

This DID lead to some interesting concept sketches, given that a twocker trying to nick my bike... an-ffing-gain... would, odds on, bend over the top yoke, and try hammering a screw-driver into the ignition barrel....

Hmm.. what would happen if you took the shot out of a 12-bore cartridge, put the ignition barrel into it, and left the screws a bit 'loose' with a rivet under the percussion cap on the end? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
In Trowbridge, you're allowed to kill someone who tries to rob you.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15547400.Jury_clears_Hayden_Maslen_of_Jordan_Taylor_murder/

He did however get 20 months for possession of a knife in public.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15549832.Hayden_Maslen_jailed_for_having_knife_in_fatal_brawl/

Judge Ranty said:
“Get this into your head – knives are not cool. Any sensible person looking at this knife would describe it as evil."

He said that Maslen’s reasoning behind carrying the knife was “idiotic” and “warped”.

His reason for buying and carrying it was personal protection. He'd been carrying it for a couple of years without incident before he was attacked by two men who tried to rob him and he used it to defend himself.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:02 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could have been seriously injured by that no good thieving piece of shit if he hadn't been able to defend himself that night!! Shocked

I like how the now dead thief asked the victim "Do you want to die for a bag?" (sauce)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:35 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
He said that Maslen’s reasoning behind carrying the knife was “idiotic” and “warped”.

Sure, statistically speaking, almost nobody gets mugged, so he didn't really get mugged.

Dindu was tripping on "a recreational amount of cocaine"... as opposed to what other amount?

Reminder: a folding pocket knife with a cutting edge not exceeding 3" / 75mm is not an offensive weapon and you commit no offence by carrying it, either folded or open. Even if it looks offensive.

https://imgur.com/rcO9tL6.png

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in summary, if he'd carried a different type of knife, or had a reason for carrying it other than self defence, he wouldn't have been breaking the law and it would have been okay.
However, he was carrying it to defend himself when he had to defend himself, which makes him a criminal. Got it. Thumbs Up

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sure, statistically speaking, almost nobody gets mugged, so he didn't really get mugged.

Dindu was tripping on "a recreational amount of cocaine"... as opposed to what other amount?

Reminder: a folding pocket knife with a cutting edge not exceeding 3" / 75mm is not an offensive weapon and you commit no offence by carrying it, either folded or open. Even if it looks offensive.

https://imgur.com/rcO9tL6.png

CRKT Liong Mah, carry one in my rucksack. Pocket clip makes it uncomfortable to hold though

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:20 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
CRKT Liong Mah, carry one in my rucksack.

What good is it going to do you in there?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's handy if I need to cut something, and people tend to get upset if you carry it in your hand, just in case...

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

He did however get 20 months for possession of a knife in public.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15549832.Hayden_Maslen_jailed_for_having_knife_in_fatal_brawl/

I finally got round to opening that link, the perp deserved 20 months just for the audacity to wear that badly tailored ginger fluff on his face.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:05 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I've been carrying a Victorinox Cadet in my pocket for years, Has the right balance of genuinely useful tools in it, and is 2.5 inch blade so well within the limits. I do constantly get asked 'why do you carry a knife?' usually at the point where someone is borrowing it to open an amazon box or do up a screw etc... Confused

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:20 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the legality of having a small knife in your pocket. If the knife is a lock knife of any size, it is an offence.

Trying to use a folding knife that is not a lock knife as a combat tool is a recipe for having it fold on your fingers and doing you more harm than it does to your assailant. If on contact with the attacker, there is any movement in the direction of the fold, it WILL fold on your fingers. I've hurt myself using a folding knife in the garden let alone in an attempt at self defense. It would be my absolutely least favoured choice to use a non lock knife like that.

I'd have thought that if you feel you HAVE to have something sharp about you, which I wouldn't really recommend given our laws, a four inch sharp, flat bladed screwdriver, would be a better bet. If you have it as part of a small pocket toolkit, you probably have a viable defense in having it with you, which you will almost never have carrying a lock knife about you in public.

This is all moot though, because in this country, if you are not young, fit and big, you probably have little chance of effective self defence against scumbag robbers unless you break the law and are prepared to go to trial to assert your right to protect yourself and your property. ONLY in home invasion situations like the Osborne Brooks one (stabbed pikey scum with screwdriver brought by Pikey scum into his house at night) will you get away with killing an assailant, because recent guidance said that A PERSON IN HIS OWN HOME when confronted by burglars should have the benefit of the doubt about the degree of force he used being reasonable. In other situations, the onus is on you to prove that you ONLY used REASONABLE force when someone who attacked you or attempted to deprive you of your property is seriously hurt or dies as a result of your actions. Having to prove this means going to trial for maybe GBH or possibly murder. Not a cheery prospect. Soooo Be a good little englander and just hand over your property to any scum that demand it. We are sheep as far as the law is concerned and nobody will help you - certainly not the police. They are probably much more keen to do the average citizen for a technical driving offense or for blowing their top on the Internet and offending a trans person, than they ever will be to help you when the scum of the earth remove your favourite motor cycle, break it into parts and sell it on EBAY.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:35 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
In my uni-years, I had a rather depressing collection of Kawasaki AR125 ignition barels on the bench in the shed, where my uncle dumped his hunting bag full of shot-gun shells.

It was an intriguing observation, that a typical motorbike ignition barrel is almost exactly the same diameter as a 12-bore shot-gun shell..... Twisted Evil

This DID lead to some interesting concept sketches, given that a twocker trying to nick my bike... an-ffing-gain... would, odds on, bend over the top yoke, and try hammering a screw-driver into the ignition barrel....

Hmm.. what would happen if you took the shot out of a 12-bore cartridge, put the ignition barrel into it, and left the screws a bit 'loose' with a rivet under the percussion cap on the end? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

The case would burst open like a banger. It is not strong enough to contain the propellant gases without the thickest part of the shotgun breach to contain it. That part of a shotgun breach is about 7mm thick and is tough steel. Then there is a very substantial locking mechanism to keep the breech closed under the explosive force of firing the cartridge. Unless it was a black powder cartridge, it wouldn't even make a loud bang. We used to have some alarm mines on the farm that were used to warn of villains tampering with doors to storage areas. They had to use black powder blanks to make a really good bang. Nitro powders don't work the same.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:26 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony1951 wrote:
On the legality of having a small knife in your pocket. If the knife is a lock knife of any size, it is an offence.

It's a good job nobody has advocated carrying one then.

tony1951 wrote:
If on contact with the attacker, there is any movement in the direction of the fold, it WILL fold on your fingers.

Not if it's buried hilt deep in their neck. I'm positing a situation where it's either presented as a visual deterrent, or it's already gone medieval and you might as well try to take one with you.

I just thank Allan that the Glasgow massive haven't yet starting aping London hijinks. I'd view it as merely being a matter of progress though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:17 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony1951 wrote:

Only if you've not got a good reason for why you're carrying it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People as in the gen pop working law abiding/ish types, need to stop fucking about with knives and the notion of them being useful in attack situations. I know a couple of mates that trained for 15years in various martial arts, and have said that for 90% of situations, especially with multiple assailants, that carrying or deploying a knife is much more likely to get you dead or have life changing injurys than not carrying one.

Anyway if your going to go out of your house expecting trouble or imminent attack and wanting to prepare for it, then assuming your thinking of a sharp cutting tool, just take a big fuck off machete with you instead.

If you can get to work and back and do your shopping etc while carrying a machete without being challenged or
Arrested then Id take my hat off to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2