Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kevlar hoodies anygood/recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Supermotard37...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:38 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Kevlar hoodies anygood/recommendations? Reply with quote

Well f#%k me its been a long long time since i logged in on here 2014 was the last log in...i was looking for suggestions on kevlar hoodies and something in my brain said "log into bcf" mental really.

So i guess hello ladies and gentlemen!!

can anyone point me in the right direction? For a kevlar hoodie that wont break the bank ? Or melt in the unfortunate event of a accident. 😂😂

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or ride up and expose your back and waist?
I've wondered if that's an issue with the hoodies, or do they have some internal loops to attach to jeans etc?

Supermotard37...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a fair point but i suppose that could also happen with a jacket aswell unless it was zipped to your trousers im just looking for some answers really as to wether they are any good i normally just rock a fox back protector and a hoody whilst playing at the stunt spot just fancied a hoody for that little bit more as accidents do happen

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackets tend to be made from stouter material, while they can ride up, a soft hoodie is far more likely to do so.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and zoom in on a youtube videos of the skanks robbing shops and nicking bikes in London, should be plenty of recommendations there. Or just buy a real bike jacket.

OGR

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy will know.... someone wake him up....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:06 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to know if they're any good at?

You're wanting impact protection? Kevlar hoodies will offer protection from abrasion subject to the hoodie not just riding up. Which I'd expect it to. Laughing

Yes they'll offer more protection than not wearing one and yes they'll offer more protection than a cotton hoodie but they're never going to offer the same protection as proper leathers.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:04 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a kevlar jumper for use in the summer when it's too hot to wear leathers.

It's far too hot to use in the summer. My vented leather + textile jacket is cooler and offers far more protection.

It would absolutely ride up in a slide.

I now use it for warmth in the winter when riding a pushbike.

borked
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Kevlar hoodies anygood/recommendations? Reply with quote

Supermotard377 wrote:
Well f#%k me its been a long long time since i logged in on here 2014 was the last log in...i was looking for suggestions on kevlar hoodies and something in my brain said "log into bcf" mental really.

So i guess hello ladies and gentlemen!!

can anyone point me in the right direction? For a kevlar hoodie that wont break the bank ? Or melt in the unfortunate event of a accident. 😂😂

Knox do a great armored shirt, you can throw any hoodie you want over that.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/knox-armoured-shirt-men/

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Kevlar hoodies anygood/recommendations? Reply with quote

borked wrote:

Knox do a great armored shirt, you can throw any hoodie you want over that.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/knox-armoured-shirt-men/

Not much abrasion protection if you do that, though.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowtex do a Kevlar undershirt with pockets for armour, but again I wonder what stops it from riding up.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wore a hoodie for warmth a few times, but I find hood gets in the way of my lid and stops me being able to look up properly. This could just be me / my lid / riding position.
I also thought, what's the point? Do people put the hood over their lid? Or is it just for once off the bike?
I'm happier keeping my cap in my pocket.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people not know how to use a needle and thread these days

I have various items of clothing i wear on my bike, from various different manufacturers, and most didn't mate with each other, so i have simply sewed into each item of clothing a mating half of the zip, so now any item fits with any other item, and won't ride up.......... its not rocket salad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

I have various items of clothing i wear on my bike, from various different manufacturers, and most didn't mate with each other, so i have simply sewed into each item of clothing a mating half of the zip, so now any item fits with any other item, and won't ride up.......... its not rocket salad

That's cultural appropriation of our sisters' history and therefore very bad.

Sewing in zips is OK if you're sewing it to something reasonably stout. I had an old textile jacket that had a similar thing done to it and I tore the zip off the lining entirely just by leaning down to pick up my dropped glove Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
That's cultural appropriation of our sisters' history and therefore very bad.

Sewing in zips is OK if you're sewing it to something reasonably stout. I had an old textile jacket that had a similar thing done to it and I tore the zip off the lining entirely just by leaning down to pick up my dropped glove Laughing

My sewing must be better then, as i tend to give myself a wedgie when i bend over when zipped up

But yeah, you need to sew into something more substantial than the lining

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:06 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Do people these days make assertions before acquiring data?

I've sewn a few zips in, but truth to tell, I almost never use them. It's just another bit of faffing at each end of a journey.

The casual attitude indicated by a hoodie makes it a particularly unlikely candidate for a DIY zipper. Although that's an assertion without data.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1