Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear lever moves and clicks but wont shift

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bekjoek
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Gear lever moves and clicks but wont shift Reply with quote

Hi!
I have a Ktm 125 2015 mod.
When I try shifting it upwards, the shift lever goes up and I feel a small resistance just like it will shift upwards, but then it just looses the resistance and goes up until it stops. It only work to gear upwards sometimes when I am reeeally careful while pressing my foot upwards on the lever.
Dowhshifting is totally fine, but it tends to make a big click when shifting down.
What can the problem be? How can I fix it?
Thanks for answers.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:40 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bent pawl. Heavy-footed gear changing is one possible cause so go easy on your gear pedal once you get it fixed.

On most bikes the pawl mechanism can be found inside the clutch cover to the rear but I have no knowledge of KTM's so you'll have to research that for yourself.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bekjoek
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:56 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: What is a pawl? haha sorry i am not english Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
    Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:44 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear change detent lever is/was a weak point on the KTM 125SX/EXC. It sits behind the clutch. There's a small roller bearing that locates in the shift drum and keeps it in gear and gives you the positive click when shifting. It can disintegrate and do a lot of damage.

I'd check this as a matter of urgency. A relatively inexpensive, easy repair could turn into a lot of internal damage if bits of bearing are rattling around in the clutch area. I know this from experience!

Enduro Numpty
    Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:45 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear change detent lever is/was a weak point on the KTM 125SX/EXC. It sits behind the clutch. There's a small roller bearing that locates in the shift drum and keeps it in gear and gives you the positive click when shifting. It can disintegrate and do a lot of damage.

I'd check this as a matter of urgency. A relatively inexpensive, easy repair could turn into a lot of internal damage if bits of bearing are rattling around in the clutch area. I know this from experience!

arry
    Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a watch of this. I know your symptoms aren't quite the same, but I'd suggest it's worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQRcReVVPQ
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
    Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
    This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
    Page 1 of 1