BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Black Widow Exhausts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come as a 2 piece? To replace the 1 piece that was there initially? Weird stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at their website they split the downpipe into 2 lengths (probably to givethemselves more "wiggle room" for fitting)

LINK

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:00 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my BW 4-1 last year.

Delivery was bob on, packaging was bob on, pipe fitted like a dream and the sound is bob on.

Totally happy with Black Widow.

https://i.imgur.com/DXrASIO.jpg

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:52 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the exhaust I was looking at increased in price from £319 to £349 a month ago.

PenderB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:47 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it might have to do with fitment, but also allows for a much smaller package for shipping too.

The only quality flaw I would say is the poor finish on the carbon fiber tip, the rest is fine.

My biggest problem was their terrible customer service, there's no reason to give such poor service as I received, and they really had a 'didn't give a s**t' attitude- like I said, they just completely quit responding to me. It wouldn't have even cost them anything to get the shipping refunded, they just couldn't be bothered.
I've been riding over 15 years now (all classic R-bikes prior to this Honda) and never encountered this bad of service before.

Paddy. wrote:
They come as a 2 piece? To replace the 1 piece that was there initially? Weird stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barneyuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:15 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a link pipe and silencer from Black Widow, it was for my 1999 Honda CB500SX twin.
While I couldn't complain about the quality of construction for the price, there was one part that has given me grave cause for concern on safety grounds.
The system was supposed to be a direct replacement for the original, with all fixing points and brackets being compatible.
However the bracket on the link pipe that is to prevent the centre stand from coming in contact with the drive chain bends upwards under the pressure of the stand spring, you can easily bend it back by hand but it just bends back again. This bracket is not like the OEM one, it is just a single flat steel bar. If you are not careful you find the stand is pushing the chain upwards and causing it to tighten. The first sign you get is that downshifts become difficult.
I emailed Black Widow with my concerns, their reply was we can refund or replace. I said a replacement was pointless as it would just do the same thing, I suggested that all it needed was a diagonal stay welded from the bracket to the pipe. They said due to production demands, this wasn't possible. They said all they could do was refund or replace.
Considering this could cause the chain to break and the rider to come off the bike I was amazed that they don't seem to be interested in doing anything.

Last edited by barneyuk on 06:29 - 02 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

barneyuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:33 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
looking at their website they split the downpipe into 2 lengths (probably to givethemselves more "wiggle room" for fitting)

To my mind they do it to allow them to use the silencer on many different bikes. It doesn't look like the silencers are model specific.

ARS125
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a black widow system on my YZF125R.

Sounded so good. Yes it was loud but not ridiculously loud.

Got pulled over a few times for other dr8ving related shit and the officers never complained about my exhaust.

Obviouwly if you stick one on a 600 its going to be louder. But they do make a good addition to 125s. The black widow kind of took away that shitty 125 sound and replaced it with a deep, crisp sound.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 336 days between these two posts...

PenderB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:00 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: 1 year update Reply with quote

1 year follow up on this exhaust, and my experience with Black Widow.

After less than a year of strictly fair weather riding (about 3 months of actual riding, as I don't ride in the fall and winter) the downpipe/header has seriously rusted.
Not just some surface rust, which would be normal and acceptable, but deep scaly rust, on the supposedly 304 stainless.
When I contacted Black Widow they told me they won't warrant it, they don't cover 'discolouration', they only use the highest quality materials, told me to 'look up 304 stainless on Wikipedia' because I didn't understand its properties, and stopped responding to me.
I've had numerous 304 stainless full exhaust systems on various cars over the years, which were driven year round, and never showed this level of corrosion at any point. I have had cheap non-stainless exhausts rust less than this in the same time frame, I have plenty of knowledge and experience with exhausts and 304 stainless.

Conclusion, DON'T BUY BLACK WIDOW PRODUCTS, their quality is overall low and unimpressive, their customer service I useless and insulting, and their warranty is meaningless.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PenderB wrote:
DON'T BUY BLACK WIDOW PRODUCTS

I wont, they make slip-ons for the Speed but not the Street.
A- holes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:22 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right, they used to be SandyBikeSpares. The ones that did downpipes that melted through the bellypans on GPZ500S and they never admitted the problem, let alone sorted it.

Avoid with the white hot fury of a thousand suns.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the header pipe on my RV125 was originally painted black and now rusty I bought a Black Widow replacement and it's great quality and fitted like a 'bum to a pot', well pleased.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, right, they used to be SandyBikeSpares. The ones that did downpipes that melted through the bellypans on GPZ500S and they never admitted the problem, let alone sorted it.

You're quite right. Rumour has it they changed to "Black Widow Exhausts" because Sandy Bike Spares had got such a bad reputation.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

There are some improvements.

I replaced the pipes on my CBR6FX they had no balance pipes.

The MOTAD ones did and my last CBR had MOTAD pipes.

The F4I blackwidow ones have the balance pipes. However I suspect the heat issue is still there as the inside of my CBR fairings are lined with heat shields.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 1 year update Reply with quote

PenderB wrote:
and stopped responding to me.

Time for a letter before action?

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:16 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 1 year update Reply with quote

G wrote:
PenderB wrote:
and stopped responding to me.

Time for a letter before action?

Bit of a pain in the arse to go through legal channels as he's based in Canada I'd imagine.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 1 year update Reply with quote

Oh yes; hadn't seen that post.

No idea how it works internationally, but probably not worth the trip to tell a magistrate your case in the small claims court.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2