Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crash....Insurance advice required.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Crash....Insurance advice required. Reply with quote

Yesterday evening my vehicle (a van) was hit by a car that failed to give way whilst emerging from a side road. No one was injured but my van and the other party's car were both damaged. I doubt that the other party will dispute liability as there were several witnesses and the scene was attended by police and paramedics.
I would like remedial works to be as hassle free and cost free as is possible in both the short term and the long term. What would be my best course of action with regard to repairs and vehicle hire whilst my vehicle is out of use? Should I ask my insurance co to deal with it or should I let the third party's insurance co sort things or should I engage the services of a claims management/ambulance chasing company? I'm fully comp with zillions of years of protected NCB.
What do?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With fully comp I would claim everything off my insurance company and let them have the hassle of claiming it back from the other party.
h f
I stress that is what I would do and have done before (many years ago!), I have no idea if that is the 'best' way.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
With fully comp I would claim everything off my insurance company and let them have the hassle of claiming it back from the other party.

I would tend to agree with that but it all depends on who you are insured with. If you're insured with some offshore based crap-show with zero claims handling credentials, no approved garage repair schemes and no hire van options then that would spark a big fat avoid if at all possible for me as it'll be more bother than it's worth. In that scenario, if the third party is insured by any of the big players then you're going to have it so much smoother going direct to them and as long as Mr TP Driver hasn't started his claim form with 'van reversed into me' then you're going to have an easier time of it I'd say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:38 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the third party. Razz

Blah blah blah contact their insurers directly and sort it out that way so there's no risk of your insurance company deciding that it's too much hassle to bother recovering the costs of repairs done on your fully comp policy.

But laziness and fully comp for the win. Mr. Green

Assuming your excess isn't ridiculous then claiming from your fully comp is the easiest route to go.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
.....as long as Mr TP Driver hasn't started his claim form with 'van reversed into me' then you're going to have an easier time of it I'd say.

I think it's unlikely she'll try to skank me. She's from a time when such things weren't the norm (nearly 89 you know). My concerns are that I may have an excess to pay and/or be perversely saddled with higher premiums for the foreseeable.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
contact their insurers directly and sort it out that way

I did something similar around 15 years ago and was far from satisfied. There was no loan vehicle forthcoming and the repair was less than ideal (Direct Line Thumbs Down ).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:52 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "but laziness and fully comp for the win" bit is much more important than the blah blah blah bit. Wink

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update:-
On Monday morning I received a call from the other party's ins co informing me that their insured had accepted full liability for the collision. They asked me if I would like them to take care of things or would I prefer to use a repairers of my own choice. I opted to let them take care of things and was offered a choice of approved repairers.
My vehicle has been collected for repair and I'm currently in possession of a hire van that they've arranged and are paying for.
Sofa so good!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:42 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Nice when it goes like that. Who are TP Insurer out of interest?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Who are TP Insurer out of interest?

Ageas. They've been most helpful and I'm very impressed with their service.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1