Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Intermittent indicators

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:24 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Intermittent indicators Reply with quote

Good afternoon all
I'm having a problem with indicators on a Honda XR 125 L6.
They work sometimes and then don't.
I've cleaned the switch relay is good and so is it shorting out somewhere or wouldn't they work at all if that was the case?
What should I be thinking in this situation.
I'm not sure it's relevant but it seems to happen in this warm weather,but I can't believe it could be temperature related .....Or could it be??

Where to start?
When they work all the dash lights are working as well.
When they dont,neither flashers or dash work btw.
Cheers all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relay is dying, I've had the same thing happen on CB250 a few times.

Replace it soon as possible and don't buy a cheapo, buy a genuine Honda
relay, yes I know they are very expensive but those cheapo's don't last long.

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:53 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Courier265"]The relay is dying, I've had the same thing happen on CB250 a few times.

Replace it soon as possible and don't buy a cheapo, buy a genuine Honda
relay, yes I know they are very expensive but those cheapo's don't last long.[/quote

Thanks mate yes I agree best to get the proper Honda one.
What causes dying as opposed to just stopping working?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

XT65 wrote:

Thanks mate yes I agree best to get the proper Honda one.
What causes dying as opposed to just stopping working?

The relay simply wears out, so far I've never had one that simply packed
up all of a sudden. (when using a genuine part)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:48 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Intermittent indicators Reply with quote

XT65 wrote:
Intermittent indicators

They're supposed to go on and off.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:23 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my recently acquired year 2000 CG125, I had intermittent indicators. I cleaned up all the contacts and clips and the problem remained, so I took off the cover exposing the circuit board and looked around the circuit with a magnifying glass. That's when I found a cracked solder joint where one of the contacts connecting it to the loom joined onto the circuit board. This cracked joint meant that sometimes there was a connection and sometimes not. Vibration I expect, or maybe rough handling when it was being connected up at some time after it had been removed. Anyway - I re soldered the contact to circuit board connections and it has worked reliably ever since. There is very little inside the circuit more or less just a transistor switch and a relay and a couple of resistors to bias the transistor.

Flasher units aren't expensive items so this wouldn't be worthwhile if you had to go out and buy a soldering iron, but I already have a few of those, so the job only took two minutes and cost nothing.

It is worth taking a look if you have the gear. The case on my Honda one comes off easily by prying the outer casing over a couple of small lugs on the base of the unit.

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:06 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The circuit board. Inside the relay do you mean?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:42 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Intermittent indicators Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
XT65 wrote:
Intermittent indicators

They're supposed to go on and off.

Reminds me of the QS on a building site I once worked on, asking Liam to check the lamps were working when he hitched up a compressor.... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:58 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

XT65 wrote:
Hi

Inside the little black box with the connectors on it. They look like this only mine is black and has three connector plates on it.

The actual 'relay' is a much smaller component inside the case and mounted on a circuit board with a few other bits to drive the relay. If you have a soldering iron and a bit of new solder, you have nothing to lose by having a look at the inside. It might not fix, but mine was an easy repair where the solder attaching the pins to the board had cracked and was making intermittent contact.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1017_1_5631_1_167_1_14_1_1_1_2_1_6663.jpg

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:15 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony1951 wrote:
XT65 wrote:
Hi

Inside the little black box with the connectors on it. They look like this only mine is black and has three connector plates on it.

The actual 'relay' is a much smaller component inside the case and mounted on a circuit board with a few other bits to drive the relay. If you have a soldering iron and a bit of new solder, you have nothing to lose by having a look at the inside. It might not fix, but mine was an easy repair where the solder attaching the pins to the board had cracked and was making intermittent contact.

Yes that's what I thought you meant....
Good idea sure I'm good with soldering,hadnt thought of that as I thought they were sealed units..
I've ordered a new one but I'm going to have a look in there as you suggest as you're right about a wire bouncing around feeling, and that it could actually be INSIDE the unit...
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers mate good shout!

https://www.mandp.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1017_1_5631_1_167_1_14_1_1_1_2_1_6663.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1