Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London to Lugano - sat nav?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: London to Lugano - sat nav? Reply with quote

Hi there,

So, I'll be travelling to Switzerland from London at the end of June and am starting to get prepped. Was thinking of getting a dedicated sat nav to make it a smoother experience than having my earphones plugged in listening to google maps directions. I've a Sena 10s in the post. Does anyone have any suggestions re. good, budget Tom Tom/Garmin setups, ie.which models. I'm thinking of getting a car one (to keep down costs) and an Oxford Strap nav holder - I have a 2006 CBR600f4i, ie. clip-ons. I'm wondering whether the screen will still be visible in daylight or whether it's better to rely on voice directions. Ideally what I'd like is to be able to plan a route myself on a computer and then send a gpx file to the sat nav, if that's possible.

Any advice most welcome.

David

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a good idea to get a proper paper map too as relying entirely on electronic options *could* go horribly wrong.
I'd prefer the old fashioned way with written list of main roads, perhaps use google near specific destination.
In any case getting slightly lost is kind of fun when on holiday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always use my TomTom GO 50 and a cheap waterproof case off ebay. The MyDrive app is brilliant, can plan routes on the computer or phone, then send them to the satnav. Connects to your phone for traffic info and to sync with MyDrive. Has a matt screen so easy to read in the sun. Can't really see the point in spending £300 on a proper bike one, this one was £100 a few years ago I think. Definitely go with local signage over satnav instructions, especially for scenic routes. I had recent issues in Ireland where it was trying to send me down random farm tracks so went with signs instead and ended up on some cracking roads I hadn't planned on using. Sending and planning routes obviously requires an active data plan on your phone, something to think about if you end up in an area with no signal.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:41 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom rider2 are still a very good(cheap) option if you buy from ebay and the likes, it was so much easier to use than the 400 I replaced it with. plan routes with My Route App, free version works well enough and send them to the memory card that's in the satnav. satnav wires directly into the bike so no issues with charging and no overheating issues like you can get with phones running maps for long periods of time. the 400 worked well enough and is another viable option along with any other bike dedicated nav you can find. personally I wouldn't use a car nav in a case as you cant see the screen properly in bright sunshine and not all of them allow the uploading of routes.
safe trip and have fun, post some pics on your return Thumbs Up

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines got a matt screen, works very well. Phones are naff because of that, direct sunlight and most phones will be unusable, found that out too last trip Mad

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

try your local Aldi or lidl ... they have deals on .. they are not always advertised.

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your great advice. Great help! I looked into your suggestions. I ended up buying a Tom Tom via 52 that was discounted. Next question - any tips on how to connect it to the battery in a simple way? If anyone knows of a handy product with a built-in inline fuse. It's a car model sat nat, not sure if this makes a difference. It has come with a micro usb cable, one end that plugs into a car cigarette lighter socket.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could pick up any one of the numerous satnav hardwire kits. They have two wires for 12v input (+ and earth) and you can get them with a micro USB plug on the output. Wire it up under the seat, run the cable forwards to the cockpit, enjoy.

You could take 12v directly from the battery or for a neater, but slightly more involved install run off of an ignition-controlled circuit with a relay.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:19 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't wire it straight to the battery, the Sat Nav will need 5 volts so you need a harness with a voltage reducer of some sort.

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this do it?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Hard-Wire-Hardwire-Kit-5V-Lead-Mini-USB-Power-Fits-Mio-TomTom-/182590254684?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-53481-19255-0%2F1%3Futm_source%3Dtwenga%26utm_param%3DeyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzA2OGYwMzZjYzNiOGEyYzE4ZDcwMDYyOTJlNTllYSIsImkiOiIxMTQ1ODc0MTg0MzMwMTEwMjg5IiwidHMiOjE1MjgxMDU3NTgsInYiOjMsInNvIjoxNTAwLCJjIjoxNzQxMjF9%26utm_campaign%3Dtwenga%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26ff3%3D4%26pub%3D5574631662%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5338243305%26customid%3D03068f036cc3b8a2c18d7006292e59ea%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252FUniversal-Hard-Wire-Hardwire-Kit-5V-Lead-Mini-USB-Power-Fits-Mio-TomTom-%252F182590254684%26srcrot%3D710-53481-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1553194287551%26rvr_ts%3Dca33b1a71630ab64060353a1fff97a0f&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this do it?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Hard-Wire-Hardwire-Kit-5V-Lead-Mini-USB-Power-Fits-Mio-TomTom-/182590254684?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-53481-19255-0%2F1%3Futm_source%3Dtwenga%26utm_param%3DeyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzA2OGYwMzZjYzNiOGEyYzE4ZDcwMDYyOTJlNTllYSIsImkiOiIxMTQ1ODc0MTg0MzMwMTEwMjg5IiwidHMiOjE1MjgxMDU3NTgsInYiOjMsInNvIjoxNTAwLCJjIjoxNzQxMjF9%26utm_campaign%3Dtwenga%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26ff3%3D4%26pub%3D5574631662%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5338243305%26customid%3D03068f036cc3b8a2c18d7006292e59ea%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252FUniversal-Hard-Wire-Hardwire-Kit-5V-Lead-Mini-USB-Power-Fits-Mio-TomTom-%252F182590254684%26srcrot%3D710-53481-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1553194287551%26rvr_ts%3Dca33b1a71630ab64060353a1fff97a0f&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
Don't wire it straight to the battery, the Sat Nav will need 5 volts so you need a harness with a voltage reducer of some sort.

Also known commonly as a “satnav hardwire kit”.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small55 wrote:
Would this do it?

That sort of thing, yes (that one has a mini USB plug though, if you’re after micro USB make sure you find one with that).

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry im old school and i would recommend you study the areas you want to go via Google maps and use their street view and only have the sat nav as a back up or just there because.

I dont use a sat nav and use Google maps for everything and even print off maps or screen shot them on my phone

I just cant go to a place and completely rely on a sat nav to tell me when im going, i need to have the terrain viewed and mapped out in my head and only studying the map and route of where im going can enable this to happen lol

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I also quite like it that way coincidentally. Also, disappointingly, I tested the Via 52 satnav I bought with my Sena 10s and it won't pair. Is this the case with all car bluetooth satnavs, that they won't connect with intercom systems leaving them just a visual aid? I was hoping to plot the routes myself as gpx files, upload them to the satnav so as to get tailored routes with visual and audio help. Seems this is not the case unless you buy a dedicated motorbike satnav.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:04 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use your phone consider this app:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab

You can plot your route then either upload it to your preferred device (in gpx, itn or a multitude of others), or get the navigation add on to use with the app.

I use this app for all my trips abroad route planning. Off to Bolzano on Saturday for a week in the Dolomites, then Draguignan for a second week riding the route napoleon etc round there with a few mates. If you use the above app feel free to copy routes off my profile on there (user willis1337).

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS routes are better without sound. Keep your music on. Wink

Small55
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Willis, was unsure which app to use for gpx so that could be perfect! Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll be sure to post some pics of the trip when back.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be any real use you need to have the satnav moan in your ear.
Garmin are by far the most useful (though Garmin are a shower of cnuts).

I think the car units can connect to a head phone. The one I have in the car has voice control but the idiot doesn't understand Scottish. Mad

You are at the Coo's Erse with this plan as you will spend the whole trip learning how to use the GPS. Smile

You can hook up to the bike battery via the Garmin harness (which is a must-have/come-with if you buy 2nd-hand.)

The Garmin bike units can link via bluetooth or by 3.5 head/earphone-jack)
The top-end units have an MP3 player built in and phone connection etc. so you will be able to listen to your Beibs and Britney and call your mum if you get scared/lost as you toor.

Look on Ebay for a second hand Bike Satnav then you can go all Waterproof-ness. (I read somewhere that Rainpal are working on a waterproofing solution for satnavs.)

Tom-Tom have bike units but they are shite compared to Garmin.

And a RAM mount is useful Garmin units come with a RAM mount as standard.
But you can source a RAM mount elsewhere. RAM are best.

Do not expect perfection. Last time I rode in France my unit navigated me into the middle of some beautiful pastoral scenery near Calais called 'Fuktifano'. Embarassed

Satnavery is a bit like religion, you must have faith in it but it is not exactly precise all the time.

Smile

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, my experience is pretty much the opposite of MCN's. I use a TomTom Urban Rider with no sounds - I just glance at the screen every now and then to see what's coming next. It has taken me all over the UK and into the wilds of former East Germany and back with no issues. I power it from the bike, but it will go 3 hours or so on a full charge. It mounts to the bike using a RAM mount to a fixed 1" ball. I picked it up second hand so not too pricey either. It is getting on a bit, so is missing some newer roads, but you can generally work out what's going on when you get there.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:56 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind it's illegal to ride with in ear earphones in - must be helmet speaker set up to be on the right side of the law. (But suspect that'll be an "add on" if you get stopped for any other transgressions.)

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as apps go if you were to go down that route...

Here WeGo maps (formerly here maps by nokia)

you can download the maps for country or region of your choice at home for offline use, and it's never ever seen me wrong on tens of thousands of miles of foreign use even up high in the alps it knows exactly where you need to go.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1