BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZX12r

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:50 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: ZX12r Reply with quote

I have developed a deep need to own a ZX12r. I have had several Blackbirds, a Hayabusa and a ZZR1400. The ZX seems to be such a lot of bike for the money and an initial enquiry with my insurers says that the increased cost on my multi-bike policy is not too bad.

Would I be disappointed? Is it important to look for the newer model after, I believe, 2003?

Any advice would be welcome.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're pretty much the same 2000-2006. A couple of changes in 2002 (heavier crank remapped injection/ignition) then radial brakes in 2004.

Buy the best condition your budget allows.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will be. A friend of mine has had one for as long as I can remember; there's a reason he's kept it.

The owners club take a ride up into Wales every year which by all accounts is a bit of a good weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a big tall lad?
Back in its day they were seen as the closest thing to a big sports bike a really tall person could fit on and ride. I've only ridden the Black Bird, but out of the three bikes I personally think it's the most compromised.

Some bought them simply because they wanted more power than the Honda and couldn't get on with the melty looks of the Suzuki. There's a very good reason for the way the Hayabusa looks, and it's my opinion that your never going to buy a bike like this to lust over its figure, but you buy it because it's very effective at something.

The late ZX12R's got radial four pot calipers if your one of these people that are allergic to Tokico 6pots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Tokico 6pots.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/--wKxmNxea7A/UrIpDbQMgYI/AAAAAAAAPYU/BV7CMzaz-Vo/s1600/dont-panic.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The late ZX12R's got radial four pot calipers if your one of these people that are allergic to Tokico 6pots.

R. A. T. S.

Riders Against Tokico Six-pots Thumbs Up

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

R. A. T. S.

Riders Against Tokico Six-pots Thumbs Up

I don't actually mind the 6 pots themselves when they're looked after. It's just dealing with ones that need cleaned up is a slog.

Not nearly as bad if you have all the proper tools for pulling pistons, wheel for polishing the pistons, and replacement seals. I tend to reuse my seals though, so that adds a fair bit of time to the job.

Tbh though I'm sure there will be 4 pots that bolt on to the 12R, like there is for the 9R, so I'm not sure I'd actively seek out the radial 4 pot models if they're a grand+ more.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:57 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

I don't actually mind the 6 pots themselves when they're looked after. It's just dealing with ones that need cleaned up is a slog.

Not nearly as bad if you have all the proper tools for pulling pistons, wheel for polishing the pistons, and replacement seals. I tend to reuse my seals though, so that adds a fair bit of time to the job.

Tbh though I'm sure there will be 4 pots that bolt on to the 12R, like there is for the 9R, so I'm not sure I'd actively seek out the radial 4 pot models if they're a grand+ more.

How much looking after do they require!? My TDM900 with 100k miles on it still has the original front brake seals, and I don't think I have ever popped the pistons fully out. They are clean as anything. I clean them every time I change the pads, and will also clean them if am taking the front wheel off. I have replaced the seals in rear once same deal.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no negative experiences with my Tokico 6-pots either.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

please never say that - the gods of six pot callipers do not favour hubris and complacency and indeed have been known to punish it

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

How much looking after do they require!? My TDM900 with 100k miles on it still has the original front brake seals, and I don't think I have ever popped the pistons fully out. They are clean as anything. I clean them every time I change the pads, and will also clean them if am taking the front wheel off. I have replaced the seals in rear once same deal.

Realistically I'd say a strip and rebuild at least annually is recommended for the tokico 6 pots. The biggest problem is in the bad weather, and particularly the winter months, they need a lot more upkeep, and need to keep on top of them more.

The seals are also more exposed and prone to getting crud in at the pistons and siezing up.

Biggest issues for me personally are:

having to remove 12 pistons in total rather than 8, polishing these pistons, then cleaning 12 dust seals and 12 piston seals. If they're properly gunked up then it definitely takes a fair bit of time.

trying to pop out 12 pistons all at the same time (I bought a piston puller slide hammer thing last time. Don't know how I'll ever manage without again).

Bleeding can be a hassle for some people, and it has taken time for me in the past. Usually need to bleed at the master cylinder banjo if you're not making progress.

The other issue is if the finish on the pistons are damaged to the point of replacing. If all pistons are in similar condition, then you're looking at the cost of 12 pistons, plus seals etc.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
trying to pop out 12 pistons all at the same time

lol so much this

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

lol so much this

Flat bar through the middle slot and pump them all out until they clamp on the bar is a good start. Then you only have a few mm of piston still in the caliper.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was full of Tokico 6pot love. An awesome brake when they are working correctly IMO.Wub

I never rode my Tokicos through winter though, and after a wet ride I'd be one of those fools in the garage cleaning and polishing for hours, and using pipe cleaners etc.

Oh and Chris Red, tbh with you the Yamaha TDM was one of its best put together and well built bikes of its range at the time. A cared for 20year old one can still look really nice, and I reckon it'd take 20years to deliberately kill one too.

If I had to own a 12R it'd probably have to be an early one for me, as like lots of Kawasaki's the first years colours are often the best, most subtle and nicest.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride through several winters and the bike lived outside. What might have made a difference to the Tokicos was daily use, and rinsing the bike from a watering can after a particularly filthy ride. The bike didn't get washed very often but when it did I was pretty thorough.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

Flat bar through the middle slot and pump them all out until they clamp on the bar is a good start. Then you only have a few mm of piston still in the caliper.

Don't omit the flat bar /wood, and decide to blow them out with an airline into your hand, believing you're so shit hot trigger control and ninja reactions can let you get away with a quick tap on an incorrectly set regulated air supply, thus receiving atomised brake fluid flash up into your eyes and lungs, and a heavy smash to the fingers, nope don't do that.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Don't omit the flat bar /wood, and decide to blow them out with an airline into your hand, believing you're so shit hot trigger control and ninja reactions can let you get away with a quick tap on an incorrectly set regulated air supply, thus receiving atomised brake fluid flash up into your eyes and lungs, and a heavy smash to the fingers, nope don't do that.

One of those is enough in anyone's lifetime. Atomised brake fluid is like that creature's blood from the Alien movies.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1