Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cut Bobber Frame / UK MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

RobMorris
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Cut Bobber Frame / UK MOT Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with cut frames / UK MOT?

I have a Virago 535.

A 'normal' bobber mod is to cut the rear of the frame off - Basically its the pillion section and either push in some rubber bungs or weld the holes shut with a small plate.

But a lot of these that I see are overseas so not sure how the UK rules/MOT see this modification?

So can anyone here with any experience comment?

Thanks

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:03 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVA rules, if the major structural member is replaced or modified from 'standard' it begs an SVA test.

If you chop the frame rails of a bike, in theory you have modified the main structural member you MUST pout it through SVA.

MOT Man, though might be more pragmatic, and reading the rules; apply 'interpretation' of the main structural member, not as the whole frame, but the bit between the head-stock and rear suspension mounts.

Lopping off the frame rails behind the rear shock mounts then you will probably get away with on MOT, if there's nothing else obviouse for him to gripe about on a 'bobber' like the length of the mudgards, or the integrety of a plywood seat sat on top of flexible unbraced abbreviated top rails....

Pays your money takes your chances.... but go look at the SVA rules, cos depending on how much you mod or alter, you could be in breach of them and beg full SVA rather than simple MOT anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:08 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to find and read the actual MOT manual?

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/Section-6-Structure-and-attachments.html

It says nothing about replacement or modification. It says nothing about missing parts. Load bearing sections must be sound, but it explicitly says that they're not load bearing if there's no load to bear. That's deep, man.

The closest thing I can see is that any joining plates or fastenings must be secure. If you're going to lop off the rear subframe, I'd weld or at least securely bolt in a cross-member, rather than just bunging the tubes shut.

The actual MOT manual wrote:

6.1 Frame and attachments
6.1.1 Frame condition

The main load bearing structure of the frame includes any sidecar frame and its attachment brackets. It doesn't include sections that only support components such as footrests, lamps or mudguards.

You may have to remove panels or raise the seat to be able to fully examine the structure.

If the engine is a stressed member of the frame, the engine mounting brackets should be checked (see Section 6.1.8).

You must visually assess the condition of the frame for corrosion and damage. If you notice corrosion, use finger and thumb pressure to check the extent of the corrosion and, if necessary, carefully scrape or lightly tap the affected areas with the corrosion assessment tool. Take care not to further damage the frame.

Find further guidance on assessing corrosion and methods of repair in Appendix A of this manual.

Defect Category

A main load-bearing structural member fractured or deformed such that:
structural rigidity is significantly reduced Major
steering or braking is likely to be adversely affected Dangerouse

Joining/attachment plates or fastenings
insecure Major
so insecure that structural rigidity is seriously reduced Dangerouse

A main load-bearing structural member corroded to the extent that:
the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced Major
steering or braking is likely to be adversely affected Dangerouse

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:23 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT doesnt concern itself with structural changes, just corrosion or missing bits.

The bigger issue is that any modification to a used frame technically means you need an IVA. The SVA (1997-2008) was the previous version.

The second problem is that even if you get the test, I believe you are forced to have a Q registration suffix.

As you can tell, no one ever bothers, but it's a risk you should be aware of.

RobMorris
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:21 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
The bigger issue is that any modification to a used frame technically means you need an IVA.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval ?

Fair point, https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles does says that any frame modification means a Q plate, which means type approval, which means MSVA.

However, what offence would be committed by not putting the vehicle through one?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:48 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is the whole can of worms. LOADS of vehicles are built every year which "need" an IVA and dont get one and nothing seems to be done about it.

Traditional kit cars etc, you need one as you dont have a reg document, but the number of highly modified cars and bikes going about on their original reg mean that there are clearly plenty of people who either dont know, or choose to ignore the guidance. (Many people ignore it, as they dont want a Q plate, or wish to maintain tax free status)

As for what specifically youd be charged with, I don't know, but I know that because it's widely midunderstood, it wont be following a VOSA roadside pull that you get a wee court case and a telling off, it will be after a large and nasty accident with rather more riding on the whole situation, so personally I'd choose to avoid it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if someone mods a chassis/frame but doesn't bother their beaver to have it approved by the authorities and then they have a prang involving a third party the insurers will have fun.
Most likely, they'll pay thrird party costs but the kit-car-bike owner will get hee-haw. And mibby a holiday in the gaol too. 😀

I see no other outcome as the rule is there to stop Heath Robinson Inc. from running Frankentraptions on our roads. We have potholes and vindictive scammeravans we don't need Bodge-it-Bangers too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:33 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Most likely, they'll pay thrird party costs but the kit-car-bike owner will get....pursued for the costs

Yep

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:20 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
So if someone mods a chassis/frame but doesn't bother their beaver to have it approved by the authorities [...] And mibby a holiday in the gaol too. 😀

What offence are they committing?

What act, what section?

There may very well be one, but I can't think what it is.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1