Unstable idle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Unstable idle Reply with quote

Hi guys
I have this ajs dd125e8 12 plate, the idling on the bike is irratic, it has had new twin carbs put on, so I suspected they may not be set up right, then I looked at the air induction valve.
Do you think this might be faulty, when start her from cold, just a fraction movement of the throttle makes the idle faster,as much as 15...100 Rpm. It goes back after about 15 secs, if I leave it, it will stall, so far she runs ok. I've got a 180 mile journey at the weekend .
What do you think. ...

Thanks chaza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand the question.

Would a 15 rpm increase even register?

Or is that meant to say 15,100? In which case - wow!

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The increase is about 500 sorry, I don't have a Rev counter yet. But the point is, the increase is concerning. If it idles at 1000, the increase is around 1500,1600.
As I said, I'm not sure if the carbs are not set right, or I have an issue with the air induction system.

Thanks
Chaza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaza wrote:
The increase is about 500

chaza wrote:
the increase is around 1500,1600.

Tad confusing Shocked

Trying to translate what you are saying, correct me if I've still got the wrong end of the stick:

So you move the throttle the revs go up (by some amount that I've given up trying to fathom) ... that's probably good.

The revs stay up for around 15 seconds, then go down ... less good

If you don't move the throttle at all, it stalls ... probably bad.

Any air leaks between the airbox and the carbs?

Does the choke make any difference to this behaviour?

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood what was saying.
Normally you turn the throttle, Rev increase then return to idle, mine, you increase the throttle just a little bit, where you would expect slight Rpm increase, I get lots of increase, to where it rises to about 500 or 600 Rpm.
I'll check again, but I don't think I have an air box leak.
That's why I was looking at the air induction system valve.or the new twin carbs not being synced or set up right.
When she's warm the choke will stall her, if I leave it idling, it gradually drops idle, then stops.
I hope I am making sense.

Thanks
Chaza

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've sorted it.
I made the big mistake of not checking the oil, I drove 180 miles at the weekend, when I got there I checked the oil, she was very low, after filling her up she ran as she should. I wired my Rev counter and she idles at 1500.
I don't get how the low oil would make her react like that. I'll be more careful in future.
Thanks for your input guys.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaza wrote:
I think I've sorted it.
I made the big mistake of not checking the oil, I drove 180 miles at the weekend, when I got there I checked the oil, she was very low, after filling her up she ran as she should.

Oh dear oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I don't like the sound of that at all.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry
It's official, I'm a dick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1