Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Potholes shaking parts loose?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Potholes shaking parts loose? Reply with quote

Today is the third day in a row trying to get the ninja running properly.

So far the fuel pump has been replaced, secured HT leads, stripped and cleaned the starter motor, secured HT leads (again)... after a few minutes riding again it would idle at the lights for a few seconds then fade out.

Today I decided to try securing the HT leads and check none of the spark plugs were loose... problem leads were 2 & 3, but I found plugs 1 & 4 weren't even hand tight Evil or Very Mad

Tightened everything up, took it for a test ride and it ran great, got back home and as I was opening my lockup.... the engine faded out again.

This is the end of my road:
https://goo.gl/wDBrVG

Quite a lot of the roads are like that around here, so could this be shaking parts loose?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:51 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the plugs are coming loose? I seriously doubt it's vibration, the plugs stay in my enfield and i've seen me ride my VFR 10 miles along forestry tracks to go camping.

I wonder if the crush washers are beyond re-use. I'd try new plugs/caps if they are coming loose.

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:57 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're not tightening the plugs enough?

If you're doing them by "feel", maybe try using a torque wrench instead to be more accurate?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:46 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

u33db wrote:

If you're doing them by "feel", maybe try using a torque wrench instead to be more accurate?

I personally wouldn't recommend that. I seriously doubt most people have a torque wrench that would go low enough anyway.

Sparkplugs with a crush washer go in finger tight + 1/4 turn the first time you fit them, finger-tight then 1/12 of a turn the next time you fit them. There will be variations on this according to size but it's usually printed on the box.

No tighter that that. I've been doing that for over 20 years and have never had one come loose or (*touches wood*) stripped a thread out.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Sparkplugs with a crush washer go in finger tight + 1/4 turn the first time you fit them, finger-tight then 1/12 of a turn the next time you fit them. There will be variations on this according to size but it's usually printed on the box.

No tighter that that. I've been doing that for over 20 years and have never had one come loose or (*touches wood*) stripped a thread out.

That's usually what I do and I've never had a problem with them coming loose before... until now that is.

I don't think I've even done 1,500 miles since they were replaced... mind you they haven't been checked since then either
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:24 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the threads? A lot of kawasakis have deeply recessed plugs that can become a real water trap. Have the alloy worms been at it?

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
u33db wrote:

I personally wouldn't recommend that. I seriously doubt most people have a torque wrench that would go low enough anyway.

Err...if you check NGK's website they give recommended torques;

https://www.ngkntk.co.uk/index.php/technical-centre/spark-plugs/tightening-torque/

Its usually in the region of 20 Nm depending on plug size which is within range for most smaller torque wrenchs...e.g. halfords smallest goes 12-60NM IIRC, yet their largest goes 60-300NM.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:56 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

u33db wrote:

Err...if you check NGK's website they give recommended torques;

https://www.ngkntk.co.uk/index.php/technical-centre/spark-plugs/tightening-torque/

Its usually in the region of 20 Nm depending on plug size which is within range for most smaller torque wrenchs...e.g. halfords smallest goes 12-60NM IIRC, yet their largest goes 60-300NM.

Fair do's. Hadn't ever seen that. Equally, there is no way in holy hell I'd wind a sparkplug up to that kind of torque in the alloy head of any of my bikes. I'd fully expect it to keep turning and never hear a click.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1