Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Carb issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Nagasaki24 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb could be a red herring. Adjust valve clearances (tappets) too. Clean carb (again) and fit new airfilter. Also new in-line fuel filter.

If after all this you still have trouble ebay the bike.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:25 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People dive in to the carburettor... probably one of the most intricate yet reliable mechanisms on a motorcycle, MOST often for the simple reason that it 'looks' less scary than things covered with oil inside the engine far more likely to be a problem..... and 'Av U cleaned Carb' lore.

As A100, unless you are sure its a carb faulty and ONLY a carb fault... leave the feck alone!

Drop in fuel consumption, and leak from overflow, does hint that the float needle isn't seating and or worn... but still....

DO YOU HAVE THE HAYNES MANUAL?

If not why not, and if so, have you done everything, and I mean everything, likely NOT done very often, if ever, on the 'Routine Maintenance' checklist?

- Check and set tappet clearances
- Replace that air filter you have already established is dumping crud to clog carb and make soot on valves!
- Charge /Check/ Replace battery... if it will bump-start, it will e-start! Only difference is the e-start is making it spin not your feet!
- Buy a new spark-plug.

Whist your there, what else is on the list NOT in the engine, like checking and adjusting brakes, replacing brake fluid, greasing swing arm bushes and head-race bearings..... wont make much of a difference to make the engine run, but motor is only half the word motorbike, and less than half the machine..... and old addage... before you try GO... make sure you can stop, and then still before you go, make sure you can go in the right direction! Find these things quite helpful personally.... especially after getting all exited and finding that a project bike runs as I wheelie it down the garden towards my back-door..... wondering why it dont slow down when I yank a brake lever!!!! Lol.

Oh Kay... do all the service checks and adjustments... base line the engine at some sort of known point, where if it still has 'problems' you at least know what is less likely to cause them.

Now, its an old bike.. more an old learner-bike... these tend to lead hard lives in the hands of learners who don't know much about riding, or mechanics, and make many many mistakes in both.

Put a compression tester on the thing. Good odds that the thing has done enough miles to need a rebore and new piston and rings cos the old ones is worn out... if not done enough miles..... probably even worse, it must have been layed up with piston rings getting corroded in the piston whilst valves rust... possibly more than once... so things dont seal when asked to work again, and they wear out tripple fast... so possibly STILL needs rebore, piston and rings!!!

You have effed around with the carb,.... one you have procured from e-bay isn't the same as the one fitted by the factory... or previous owner, as you say it doesn't have a heater....

Going to take a guess that your 'old' carb has an electric heater coil for the choke mechanism... replacement has a simple lever.... sounds the wrong way about to me, I would expect a later bike to maybe have an electric choke, older one a manual one... is the 'old' carb off an early YBR, by any chance? But check the haynes, that will say what you aught to have..... and how it works.

Meanwhile... gaskets... carbs are often fitted on rubber manifolds; these dont need a gasket between the carb and rubber, as the rubber is the seal... but that seal often accomplished with a rather flimsy pipe clip, often chewed up by numpties cleaning the carb... and then replaced by more diligent numpty with a jubilee clip from Halfords.. that often gets just as chewed not always on the screw/hex tightening but, but on the rack its worm trys to grip... A-N-D clip is usually thicker than the OE fit one, and doesn't sit in the rebate in the rubber maifold... so it doesn't tighten or tightens but rucks and doesn't seal.... IF manifold disturbed to get carb off, at the cylinder head end, theres another paper gasket there.... oft ignored, and ommitted on re-assembly, or re-used, or glooped up with 'instant gasket' crud (That often melts in contact with petrol BTW)... so no seal, no suck, carb does strange things, like not run unless the choke's on...

Go check, and eliminate making sure you have proper gaskets in place, rubber manifold is 'good' and not cracked or perished or split, AND you have the right sized hose clamp on it, and not just diameter, width too.

NOW... after all that..... we might be able to start some voodoo diagnostics by remote control.... but we can only make our guesses as good as you make your descriptions of symptoms..... and the Haynes manual CAN save you having to ask so many silly questions or describe so many symptoms before we start.....

Do the service checks, do a compression test; check gaskets, work from there....

Meanwhile, its Thursday, you need get to work on Saturday... go check buss time tables, book a taxi or phone a friend.... this is unlikely to be a five minute fix... or the only problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Nagasaki24 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1