Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does anyonemake "fun" small cars any more?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:27 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Jimnys used to have a chassis and so were nigh-on indestructable, I don't think the modern ones do any more.

Right up to the current year Gen 3s it's still ladderframe. I believe the Gen 4's next year are still a separate chassis.

But yerrrs, I was just throwing it out there to see where the limits were.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I thought these would be nice cars to drive, but they were very small and cramped inside. I bet there's no more room in one than a 3rd generation Mazda RX7?

My Rover is huge inside by comparison, and though no one buys a coupe for the size of the back seat, I wouldn't buy a car that I couldn't sit in the back of if I had to for a short distance.

Eh? I've been on track with one, with a lid on, and fitted in it fine - and I'm a big lad.

The GT86 is a decent motor. It was only marginally slower round a short handling circuit than the three 911's that were also there on the day (driver aside, but we all passenger'd in each other's cars and I'd say 3 of us were pretty even, with one 911 driver being a bit off the pace).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'2 and yeah I could sit in one and drive round without being in pain, but it's a smaller coupe than it looks especially inside. I think there's far more space inside the late version Hyundai coupes, and for that reason I'd much rather own one than a GT86.

There's not that many coupes I like the look of, but I could be just as happy with a first Generation Hyundai coupe, or a Mazda MX6 as my Tomcat, and maybe I'd be happy with a DC2 Honda Integra too, but if I could have one with the 1.8 swapped out for a H23 (alot less power I know) I'd be happier. I like my car's to feel stronger in the first half of the Rev range, and my low compression forged 2.0 iron boat anchor in the Rover is a bit lacking too for my liking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd be happy with a DC2 Honda Integra too, but if I could have one with the 1.8 swapped out for a H23 (alot less power I know) I'd be happier.

You're a wrongun. Don't butcher a DC2; the prices are only going one way - there's very few good ones about now. Should have kept mine.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accord Type R, Gen 3 Preludes, Civic Aerodeck - you name it. Anything rust / rice free is going up in value.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone chopped n' channelled a Smartcar that would be fun.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

What does channelled mean in car speak?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

It doesn't really apply for a smart car as i think channelled refers to when lowering a car with rear wheel drive a new channel for the transmission has to be fabricated. I think Thinking

I always thought a lowrider Rolls Royce would be cool as well.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:56 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a mk3 Toyota MR2? They go forever, are fun to drive and can be picked up for buttons.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It doesn't really apply for a smart car as i think channelled refers to when lowering a car with rear wheel drive a new channel for the transmission has to be fabricated. I think Thinking

I always thought a lowrider Rolls Royce would be cool as well.[/quote]

Strictly speaking, channelling is where you remove the body from the chassis, then resite floor higher up, so when you refit the body, it sits lower to the ground without modifying the suspension.

So no, wouldn't apply to a Smart (or any other unibody car) because you need a separate chassis to make it work.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Strictly speaking, channelling is where you remove the body from the chassis, then resite floor higher up, so when you refit the body, it sits lower to the ground without modifying the suspension.

So no, wouldn't apply to a Smart (or any other unibody car) because you need a separate chassis to make it work.

Knew it was something like that. Still a lowrider Smartcar Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking low riders! What a load of American shit. Its about time all this low and slow and slammed car culture stopped as it does nothing for lap times, ring times or practically and comfort.

I used to think all this time attack and Nurburgring obsession and manufactures desperate to make their new car a few seconds faster was bollocks too. It does nothing for ride or practicality, but it does make cars sharper and grippier on smooth roads, and that's something that is slightly more relevant to a road car, than chrome spinners, and air ride IMO.

Bob_Hoskins
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:46 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki Cappucino

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_Hoskins wrote:
Suzuki Cappucino

Harold Shand.

Welcome back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the OP end up with?

My Mrs seems to have narrowed her choice down to a fiesta ST or a 208 GTI. Reckon the swift would have a been a good choice for her commute but she wasn't a big fan.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the Fiesta and 208 look more grown up and are bigger cars too than the Swift. They are heavier and possibly more solid, but they need alot more power than the Swift to achieve the performance figures they have. I personally think faster and more power, with more weight isn't always fun.

You'd struggle to drive a Fiesta to the limit on the roads, or really spank it hard on tight twisty roads. Saying that it's a bit of the darling of the hot hatch superminis, and it's one of the best balanced blends of handling, power and performance in its class. Its definitely not got too much engine for the handling, and it's supposed to be quite insurable for young people in this class of car.

A lad at work has one on a PCP deal, and he loves his and keeps it really clean and standard obviously too. He wants a bigger car next time, but he said him and his mate's all agree that the ST is brilliant and handles better than most small hatches with enough power to really entertain without emptying your wallet too much. I'd have to agree and it's got the right blend of sporty looks over a std Fiesta without being too OTT. Saying that the lower powered Fiesta's look almost as sporty too.

Given the choice between the Suzuki or the ST though, I'd still take the Swift every time for my driving usage. I can see the Fiesta being the better daily commuter in busy traffic and I bet the interior is vastly nicer and so is the spec etc.
On a Trip down to the moors I can envisage being able to drive the Swift quite hard and use alot of its potential.

Something bigger, massively powered and good fwd chassis like a Civic type R wouldnt be much fun in tight twisty roads, and something old and big and a bad fwd chassis like my Rover would be abysmal and no fun at all

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:30 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I suppose the Fiesta and 208 look more grown up and are bigger cars too than the Swift. They are heavier and possibly more solid, but they need alot more power than the Swift to achieve the performance figures they have.

Looking on the top gear website and comparing similar spec (136hp swift vs 140hp Fiesta) - the Fiesta is 29kg lighter. It is slightly slower to 60, but has a faster top speed. Also, much better economy.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are your stats this time? Wink

Id expect a Fiesta to be alot heavier and more laden with spec and infotainment than a Swift. Oh and have you driven or listened to that eco boost 1.0? It sounds dull and has all its peak twist from 2000-4500rpm. I expect a Swift sport with a nice straight pipe system would sound comparatively epic and be rewarding to drive.

Saying that apparently car firms in some cases are seeing the light after 20years and making successive models lighter again. Its not for fun or handing or performance though, it's because they've got their ass nailed to the wall over CO2.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:44 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't driven the 1.0 eco boost, but have been in them a good bit and know a couple of people with them. Albeit the 125hp non-st models.

General impression is that it does need to be thrashed to make progress, which sounds good to me! But then you lose your good economy as the turbo kicks in properly.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/suzuki/swift-sport/16-sport-3dr/spec
vs
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ford/fiesta/10-ecoboost-140-st-line-5dr/spec

Pretty similar stats. The Swift looks like it might have less space in the back - but going by only being 10cm shorter, that may just be the "looks".

Cheaper solutions if you want your car to sound nice Razz - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stern-Schatz-GmbH-SR0101V8AA-SoundRacer/dp/B004CK587E Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the more expensive option of a chavvy exhaust system if it's all the same? Wink
A sound what? If my car is ever going to sound like thundering gods own engine (V8) then it'll be because there's a big heavy rocking lump of iron under the bonnet, and ideally with Wieand or Roush whining blower bolted on top. Smile

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'll take the more expensive option of a chavvy exhaust system if it's all the same? Wink
A sound what? If my car is ever going to sound like thundering gods own engine (V8) then it'll be because there's a big heavy rocking lump of iron under the bonnet, and ideally with Wieand or Roush whining blower bolted on top. Smile

there is a nice mgzt v8 for sale localish if you want one Laughing

only 9990

Bob_Hoskins
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:52 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Bob_Hoskins wrote:
Suzuki Cappucino

Harold Shand.

Welcome back.

Thumbs Up

Couldn't get my old user name, which is a crying shame. All that Gold.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3