Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cheapest/easiest way to get to Spain in a car ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:37 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: cheapest/easiest way to get to Spain in a car ? Reply with quote

Been looking at some ferries to north of Spain from England and only one i can find it Brittany ferries from Portsmouth to Santander which cost nearly £800 return ???

Are there and cheaper options that doesn't involve driving from calais to northern Spain ?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:35 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you heading for in Spain?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason people rent cars, it's convenient.
Unless you actually need to take that specific car, it's a bad idea. It's both expensive and time consuming.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah fly and rent a car would be my first thought.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:20 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Portsmoth to Bilbao over two nights is the cheapest ferry travel from the UK to Northern Spain.

But it's not cheap, you need a good reason for why taking your own car on the ferry is less expensive than renting one when you get out there by ferry or by plane.

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:09 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking of loading up the estate and camping around Spain/Portugal for 1-2 months. Just drifting.

Maybe better off driving from calais.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually looked into this with a similar view. Calais is the cheapest option if you have the time to bimble down through the less boring bits of France or just belt down autoroute. What you save in ferry costs can cover cost of the whole trip. The other option is to DHL kit to hotel nearest cheapest airport, pick up rental and do it in a lhd car.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:01 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven from Calais to Estartit (north of Barcelona) it used to be an easy route. Toll motorways all the way through France and a fuel/piss stop every 300 miles. Did it in 4 fills. We camped overnight at an Aire because it was late when we got off the chunnel and set off early the following morning to be in Estartit for 2pm. On the way back we did it in 1 hit swapping driving at each petrol/piss stop leaving Estartit at about 10.30am and being stuck behind an accident for an hour before getting home at 4am (stoke). The car engine head gasket went the week after.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheapest is get the cheapest dunkirk ferry you can... in the car I have paid £28 return in past couple of years. and got cashback on that as well at times. (as little as £14 on bike)

and just scoot yourself down over the couple of days it takes the expensive long ferry, using premiere classe or f1 hotels which can be had for as little as 13 euro a night, per room.

if you drive at 100mph and drink all the fuels... you'll still have spent less than the expensive ferry. if you drive sensible, the saving will literally pay for the rest of your trip, and more.

Last edited by ocatoro on 16:12 - 09 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FukCalais. it's spensiver, and there's always some sort of hassle in the form of sodding roadblocks and refugee attacks, and the boats are hanging in my experience.

for the sake of 30 mins extra rest on the boat, dunkirk is cheaper, cleaner, and you get better treatment at the port at both ends (oddly).

it's literally 15 mins drive from calais, so you're not even losing out in extra miles on the other end really.

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:24 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
FukCalais. it's spensiver, and there's always some sort of hassle in the form of sodding roadblocks and refugee attacks, and the boats are hanging in my experience.

for the sake of 30 mins extra rest on the boat, dunkirk is cheaper, cleaner, and you get better treatment at the port at both ends (oddly).

it's literally 15 mins drive from calais, so you're not even losing out in extra miles on the other end really.

If you get the DFDS Ferry to/from Dunkirk, make sure your phone is not set for mobile roaming until you disembark otherwise it hooks up to their expensive satellite data service

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

brains_t wrote:
ocatoro wrote:

If you get the DFDS Ferry to/from Dunkirk, make sure your phone is not set for mobile roaming until you disembark otherwise it hooks up to their expensive satellite data service

surely you need to join that on purpose? I've been on that crossing probably 40 times at least and never had or heard of such a thing.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:31 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:

Glad to hear that Dunkirk is as good as you say. 37 years ago, I booked a cheap ferry called Dunkirk Ferries for me and the wife and my eldest son who was then a baby. It was fine going out, but on the return leg the ferry company was going bankrupt and we sat on the dock for about 22 hours waiting for them to send a boat. We ran out of nappies and the little shitter was on top form. We didn't dare leave our place in the queue because we had no idea when the company would cease functioning completely. It was a nightmare. The bogs at the terminal were not being looked after, I think they'd let the maintenance people go, and they were soon blocked up and were full of shit. It was a hideous experience... LOL I just went for a 160 mile ride over to and around the Lakes with that little shitter yesterday. He will be 39 in December and he weighs sixteen stone now!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1