Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2019 Honda CRF450L

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: 2019 Honda CRF450L Reply with quote

https://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2019-CRF-450L-dual-sport-motorcycle-m-gray.jpg

Unlike the 250L it'll be made in Japan, not Thailand. It'll apparently make around 40bhp - but, despite the softer tune than the competition 450R etc., the intervals are still going to be a bit tight. E.g. oil every 600 and valves every 1800. Strangely, the 450L is going to get a titanium not a plastic tank - but won't that be cost a lot more? No - because even though Ti is expensive, the actual manufacturing process is loads quicker than forming a tank from plastic!

I'd guess that this 450L won't be much heavier than the 250L.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the intervals are still going to be a bit tight. E.g. oil every 600 and valves every 1800.

Thumbs Down Sad Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit disappointing that... was hoping there'd be a new DRZ400 (or similar) but this makes a similar HP but the service intervals are a lot more frequent. DRZ400 is oil/ filter at 1500 miles and valves after 7500. Not sure what it weighs but probably not far off a DRZ either.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those service intervals will kill it. A real shame because I'd also like to see a more modern version of the drz. Ideally a bit lighter.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Those service intervals will kill it. A real shame because I'd also like to see a more modern version of the drz. Ideally a bit lighter.

And a 6th gear Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know personally, as I've said before it depends on if your actually really going to use your bike or not?

With a CRF engine Base for the bike, and those kind of service intervals, I'd expect it to be quite possible to increase performance reliably way past what a DRZ can achieve.

600mile oil change intervals arnt so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Bit disappointing that... was hoping there'd be a new DRZ400 (or similar) but this makes a similar HP but the service intervals are a lot more frequent. DRZ400 is oil/ filter at 1500 miles and valves after 7500. Not sure what it weighs but probably not far off a DRZ either.

3000 you mean Thumbs Up I would highly recommend not waiting that long but ya know.

So what's the difference between this bike and this one with an embarrassing 25bhp?

I don't think Suzuki give a flying fuck about the DRZ anymore, us fanboys have long since given up hope on that one. I always pestered the Asian blokes at the Suzuki test ride days I go to and get fobbed off every time, try the GSXS 1000 they say, it's just as good, FFS there's no hope they are only interested in what sells the most Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:16 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
So what's the difference between this bike and this one with an embarrassing 25bhp?

The CRF250l makes 24bhp so I don't get why they'd come up w/ a 400cc bike that adds only one bhp to that. Regardless, I came across this:

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

Quote:
There was a rumor going around that this bike only made 24 hp and we can say that is completely false. It looks like a European Honda site mistakenly posted the CRF250L’s hp number for the 450L’s. We asked Honda for a publishable HP number for the 450L and they said it was in the 40s. For dirt bikes, Honda (all OEM’s actually) don’t give out HP numbers since there are so many variables in dyno’ing the bikes. Also, Honda added that there is only a 4 hp difference between the X and L and that the cams and cam timing are exactly the same.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:03 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 2019 Honda CRF450L Reply with quote

Short service intervals, but only a few hp less than the big enduro bike and 15kg less weight than the 250cc street bike - this is definitely the one I'd choose for green laning.

I wonder if adding an oil radiator to increase capacity would give you a bit better service intervals? The adv-rider lot were taking KTM EXCs on long distance journeys with that.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but the CRF250L oil changes are 8,000 miles or annually

I did mine about every 6 months, and used it a lot on tarmac too, seems a deal breaker to me

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:15 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 2019 Honda CRF450L Reply with quote

G wrote:

I wonder if adding an oil radiator to increase capacity would give you a bit better service intervals? The adv-rider lot were taking KTM EXCs on long distance journeys with that.

This may mostly-fix that. Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see 1000 mile oil changes and say 2000 mile (more likely to only need doing at twice that 4000 mile) valve clearance checks, as a big deal at all if you can have a powerful yet light 450cc trail or supermotard bike.

Its easy to get a powerful 60bhp+ bike if you use a large 650cc engine, but the weight penalty of a non competition derived bike and engine design takes away a bit of the fun and usefulness of such bikes. I am a fan of the street/moto bikes as G calls them, but I can see benefits to a much lighter competition derived bike with a de-tuned engine.

Anyway back in the day we were changing oil every 1000 miles on our CG125's and doing regular valve clearance checks. So having the same maintenance intervals for simple basic servicing on a modern high performance competition derived bike is no more of a pain, unless you were commuting to work all the time etc. Saying that commuters still did the frequent servicing on their CG's without moaning as they knew that they had to look after them to keep them reliable for getting to work etc.

There's no mention of major engine maintenance intervals, and they arnt saying strip down the lump and replace the crankshaft and valve train every xxxx miles, a few oil changes and valve checks is nothing, even if you had to have the cams out once a year for re-shimming etc.

I'd be grateful that it's not a two stroke competition enduro or motard, as then you'd appreciate how little work the CRF etc demands. When your replacing pistons every 50 hours and crankshafts every 200 hours then yeah things get annoying.

Saying that if you look at such frequent maintenance as the lesser trade off its massively made up for by the explosive performance benefits and very light weight to more than make up for it maybe?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:07 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
When your replacing pistons every 50 hours

If you're averaging 40mph, that's every 2000 miles. Smile
And seeing how easy it is to do pistons in them generally, that's not too bad - and if that 50 hours is actually for competition use, then you can quite possibly double that for road use.

The crank, a good bit more work normally; but if we're talking, say, doubling the figure with an average of 40mph; that's every 16000 miles. Which may not be too bad cost wise compared to getting valve shims done on a sports bike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the maths I've already done myself, as im 99% sure in the next 12months my next bike will be a new supermoto. I'm undecided on the make/model or engine. But I use the DRZ 400 as a baseline and comparison. I know you can't buy them here now new, and that they've probably ended production. But I know two DRZ ex owners who said the same thing about them being the most fun bike they ever had for back roads. They also both said that it makes a huge difference to the way they go, when you do airbox, exhaust system mods and fit/set up a jetting kit.

I don't particularly want anything bigger than a 400-450cc, those big 701 Husqvarna's are too much bike for my needs, but I have considered 125 or 144cc bikes too, just not ones that are under 15bhp. Smile

Then again I've got my KMX smokers that both 125/200 have potential for 30bhp+ so another small cc bike that makes your clothes stink might be too much, and a light but pokey smallish thumper could be a good move.

I wish Kawasaki still made the nice looking D-tracker 250 but with a KLX300 motor, as that'd do me just fine. Then again I need to stay out of my local Kwak dealer, as the last time I went in for some oil seals and gaskets I nearly ended up buying a mint Aprilia factory RSV1000. I can't start riding proper big fast adults bikes again. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:21 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've probably seen elsewhere - I had a CCM404e with both sets of wheels.
It's basically the best a DRZ400 can be.

It could be quite fun, but never found it really stand out.
The engine is reasonably linear, while the gearbox feels like it's got 4 close ratio gears followed by an overdrive.

Definitely worth a test ride to see how you find it.

The KTM690 doesn't weigh much more and has a good bit more go.
The close ratio gearbox does make sense for the engine for fun on the road - less so off road.

My usual answer - a road registered 250SX with SM wheels sounds like it would be great fun Smile.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husky 701 enduro does it all and more. Price point is everything. Let's hope it's a hidden gem.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Husky 701 enduro does it all and more. Price point is everything. Let's hope it's a hidden gem.

Except the engine will shit itself before it's first major service interval.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=324980

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:49 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you could get a second hand 690 for a good lot less, which is pretty much the same bike. Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking fantasy money no object Supermoto for the road, then my favourite best looking std production bike has always been the Aprilia SVX550. Too expensive and hard to find though, and I suspect many have seen hard track abuse. But it's a right looker and a mid size twin is a nice engine for a contrast to obvious supermotos.

There's been plenty of cool one off built SM's built over the years, but I'm not looking for a one off special this time.

As I said something fairly nice but not big, powerful or heavy would do me, and the DRZ is still not a bad example as is the D-tracker or other small-med size bikes.

Still looking forward to seeing what Binge will come up with with his CRF450 ingredients. Smile

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xr650r supermoto for me. With an electric start! Btw, had husky 701 enduro for over 2 years, only serviced it, no problems whatsoever.

Scooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:16 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cheap: https://www.doble.co.uk/newsitem/41106/2019-honda-crf450l.aspx

Quote:
This exciting new bike will be launched in October with an RRP of £9,649

Puts it in the same price category as a new KTM 690/Husky 701. Hmm.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooooooooooooow much?! Laughing That's quite a bit more than a 690 last time I checked.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a bit dead but I'm looking at a new bike. I'm still pretty much dead set on an air cooled 90's trail bike. The tt600R is calling my name. I feel it's the only acceptable stable partner for my 250's.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:24 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
I know it's a bit dead but I'm looking at a new bike. I'm still pretty much dead set on an air cooled 90's trail bike. The tt600R is calling my name. I feel it's the only acceptable stable partner for my 250's.

Consider also the DR600 and KLR600 - both reasonably light weight also, before the added the electric boot.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to see why anyone would spend that money when you could have a 250l for less than half that.

(Tt600r very thin on ground now....holding value well.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2