Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying first bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zwappa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:50 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Buying first bike Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm close to buying my first bike but I don't know much other bikers and don't have anyone who turn to for advise.

I hope some of you more experienced guys could help me out with decision making.

It will mostly being used for work/home trips, about 20 k/m back and forth. Besides that I will use it two or three times each month to make a 500km trip (back and forth) (in the weekends I will travel this to visit family.)

A few bikes got my attention; Suzuki GSX 650 F, Kawasaki ER 6 F (ABS), Yamaha FZ 8 FAZER and the Yamaha XJ 6 / Diversion.

I've rode on a 750 Suzuki witch felt really good, but I wouldn't mind any cc up from 600 till about 800. I don't feel comfortable with higher due to it being my first bike Smile

ABS is a pre but no must, I feel as a beginner it will help me while I get to know being a biker in traffic. But I can also manage to learn and break without it in emergency.

Looks also play are role (obviously) and I prefer sport, sport/naked or sport/tour. But I don't want to give up to much maneuverability.

The budget I have is somewhere around 3500 euro till 6000 euro. I'm looking for occasions.

I'm 25 years old if that helps.

I hope you guys could give me some tips or advice!

If more information is required (driving style e.d.) please ask.

Thanks in advance,

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:34 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Buying first bike Reply with quote

There are very few bad modern bikes, and any of your candidates will be just fine. I'd advise you to try and ride each one and get whichever one you prefer.

Just to make your choice more difficult, I'd also throw the BMW F800GT and the SV650S into the mix.

At a minimum, I'd suggest that you try one twin and one 4 cylinder bike, as the engines respond very differently.

Then buy a Triumph Street Triple. Wink

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireblade

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://static.exportwagen.eu/8304/PopUpImage/10600087-1.jpg

https://www.exportwagen.eu/bg/motorcycles/puch/x50-3-3-handversnelling/x50-3-3-handversnelling/1681851

Should see you about right, especially, as there are no hills in the Netherlands Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rogerborg's said....try all cylinder types. Pick a fave and then come ask. Also knowing if you're restricted to a certain licence would help. If not....Fireblade.

Zwappa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:50 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mates! Thank you for the advice so far.

I have no restrictions on my license.

The fireblade looks pretty awesome, I make sure to check it out.

The F800GT Rogerborg mentioned is also added to the list to check out!

Ill try multiple cylinder types before making a choice Razz

Fred3606
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for sv650s as well. 2003 onward versions look great in my opinion with the lower fairings. Also if you want to look at a twin It has a pretty good engine, just check for cam rattle on older models

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:18 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

be sure to check insurance before buying any bike. some insurers wont insure you on a sports bike unless you have a years experience on a 600+.

also (like others will say/have said) go sit on a few. go test ride a few. welcome Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1