Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to vote for someone that would implement it.

Yes you did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2017

There was a general election in 2017.

Corbyn was your man. He didn't get voted for though.

And yes he IS a brexiteer of the hardest sort:

Here's some history poached from somewhere else.

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn is a Brexiteer. He has wanted the United Kingdom to be outside the European Union, and its forerunners, since the 1970s. Corbyn, when he was a Haringey councillor in 1975, voted to end Britain’s continuing membership of the European Economic Community in the national referendum.

As a backbench member of parliament, Corbyn voted against the ratification of the Maastricht treaty in 1993, on the grounds that the commission would impose ‘foreign policy on nation states that have fought for their own democratic accountability’. Corbyn broke the Labour whip again when he voted against the Lisbon treaty in 2008.

During the 2015 leadership election he told the GMB hustings ‘I would advocate a “no” vote if we are going to get an imposition of free market policies across Europe.’ Given Corbyn’s definition of ‘free market’ includes getting a haircut or buying some chewing gum, there is no doubting his anti-EU credentials..

A lot of the things he said are in Hansard.

You didn't vote for him you voted for the Conservative party...
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking Brexit news.

Tories want peoples vote now - 3rd EU referendum.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/give-the-british-people-the-final-decision-on-brexit-c35f98g89

Can we make this one fair vote too?

Using elec.register Scotland 2014 ref. used that gives a vote to all 3.5m EU citizens, change the law to allow all 1.5m UK abroad and 2m 16 years old to vote too.

I also fixed the ballot paper to include all options.

Do note the last option - EVERYBODY can have his/her own deal with the EU.

https://i.imgur.com/GHpzJ3r.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:28 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fucking piece of paywall shit.

Sad

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You fucking piece of paywall shit.

Sad

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-07-15/why-justine-greening-wants-another-eu-referendum/

Quote:
Theresa May’s hopes of winning support for her Brexit compromise have been dealt a huge blow as Justine Greening has become the first senior Conservative to support calls for a second referendum.

The prime minister’s effort to keep Britain in parts of the single market is the “worst of both worlds” and will satisfy no one, the former education secretary says in an article for The Times.

With the main parties divided, Ms Greening believes that even a free vote in parliament will not confer legitimacy on the final deal. “The only solution is to take the final Brexit decision out of the hands of deadlocked politicians, away from the backroom deals, and give it back to the people,” she writes.

Mrs May’s concessions to Brussels have been attacked from all sides. Her appeal to Leave voters to accept the “hard-headed and practical” deal for the sake of jobs and the union foundered as:

•Another ministerial aide, Robert Courts, resigned saying that he could not look himself in the mirror if he backed the Chequers proposals.

•Downing Street and Conservative Party bosses were seeking to assess the scale of a grassroots rebellion.

•Chuka Umunna, leader of the Labour Remainers, dismissed Mrs May’s compromise as “anti-worker and anti-business” and said that it would “royally screw” Britain’s service sector.

•The prime minister faced a series of hostile amendments to Brexit legislation from both sides of her divided party in votes today and tomorrow.

•President Trump suggested again that her latest proposals would make it harder to conclude a trade deal with the US after Brexit.

MPs will vote on amendments to the customs bill, tabled by members of the European Research Group, intended to scupper her plans for a “UK-EU free trade area” based on a “common rule book”. With no Labour backing, the changes stand little chance of getting through, although the votes could provide Conservative Brexiteers with the opportunity to stage a show of strength in parliament. There were signs last night that the government was seeking to head that off by accepting some of the less controversial changes.

The votes will make clear, however, that Mrs May’s only hope of getting the Brexit deal through the Commons this autumn is with the support of opposition MPs — and that looked like a forlorn prospect as senior Labour figures lined up to mock her proposals

In her article Ms Greening says that it will be “unacceptable” for MPs to impose a compromise on the electorate.

The former minister argues that the second referendum should not be a “divisive, binary choice”, proposing that voters are presented with three choices: the prime minister’s negotiated deal; staying in the EU; or a clean break. The voting system should involve first and second preference votes, she says.

Ms Greening has support of other Remain-backing Tories including Amber Rudd, the former home secretary. Dominic Grieve, the former attorney-general, is expected to lend qualified backing in the coming days.

The group is backing away from inflicting an immediate Commons defeat on Mrs May, however. An amendment tabled by Anna Soubry forcing her to seek a customs union is unlikely to be put to a vote. Ms Soubry was among the first MPs to call for a second referendum.

Ms Greening is the first of Mrs May’s former cabinet ministers to break ranks. Tom Watson, the Labour deputy leader, said yesterday that it would be foolish to take the option of a second referendum off the table although he insisted that it was not party policy.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:01 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Why wasn't it spent there prior to the EU then?

If it wasn't for the EU, we'd still be wearing bell bottoms and kipper ties, and driving around in Mk 3 Ford Cortinas, because the EU is the source of all changes in the last 45 years.

We can't prove to the contrary, therefore incontrovertible fact.

Oh, to nobody's great surprise, Appeaser Theresa is now directly offerring bribes to foreign companies, #DespiteBRINO.

We might as well replace the Union Flag with a lion argent, cowering on a field of argent.

And tantrums for a People's Third Way Triple Choice Transferable Vote Bonus Ball Vote intensify.

I don't think May needs that in order to achieve #BRINO, but if by some miracle there is a vote of no confidence in her, I can see her triggering something similar as a final gambit to delay until it's genuinely too late for anything except No Change.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

She said that the politicians are in stalemate so it must go back to the people for another vote. Radio 4 presenter: It was already in stalemate, that's why we had a referendum in the first place, doesn't parliament just need to deliver what was voted for?
Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't believe it's right, but I reckon we will have another vote.

What happens if we vote leave again? I think our leaders will probably commit mass suicide Praying Dance!

I really want the EU to tell us to fuck off, no deal as thats the only way a hard Brexit will happen.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, Theresa May goes to Brussels to negotiate on the white paper:

https://s15.postimg.cc/kxquwwmhn/1200px-_Bayeux_Tapestry_scene23_Harold_sacramentum_fecit_Willelmo.jpg
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is another vote (there won't be), I'd put money on remaining. A few of the "normal" "people" I know who voted leave now say fts wish I'd never bothered, would go back in time and vote stay.

No way knowing how representative my molecular level sample is, but I was still surprised to hear them saying this.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
If there is another vote (there won't be), I'd put money on remaining. A few of the "normal" "people" I know who voted leave now say fts wish I'd never bothered, would go back in time and vote stay.

No way knowing how representative my molecular level sample is, but I was still surprised to hear them saying this.

Which just goes to prove my comment on the spinelessness of the British people. We are broken, and only believe in whatever's easiest.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Which just goes to prove my comment on the spinelessness of the British people. We are broken, and only believe in whatever's easiest.

You're right. I've heard people say that as well and it's always in the context of 'It's too much hassle' 'Not worth the aggro' etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:53 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only in it for the aggro. Folded arms

Polarbear wrote:
What happens if we vote leave again? I think our leaders will probably commit mass suicide Praying Dance!

Er, they'll just keep on ignoring it. They won't stop hating democracy.

Or have another referendum, and another, and another. Drop the voting age to 16. Give votes to EU residents in the UK. Give votes to EU residents in the EU. Run it via Facebook, or Instagram or SnapChat, whatever it takes to disenfranchise the Gammons and get a Remoan result, which will settle it.

The EU have been verrrry quiet, haven't they? I guess they're operating on the principle that if you can't say anything arrogant, spiteful and petty, don't say anything at all. Shhh!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm only in it for the aggro. Folded arms

Polarbear wrote:

Er, they'll just keep on ignoring it. They won't stop hating democracy.

Or have another referendum, and another, and another. Drop the voting age to 16. Give votes to EU residents in the UK. Give votes to EU residents in the EU. Run it via Facebook, or Instagram or SnapChat, whatever it takes to disenfranchise the Gammons and get a Remoan result, which will settle it.

The EU have been verrrry quiet, haven't they? I guess they're operating on the principle that if you can't say anything arrogant, spiteful and petty, don't say anything at all. Shhh!

They are in shock. Trump has lumped them in with his enemies, Kim and Putin. Quick, get another balloon, that'll show him. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to vote for someone that would implement it.

Yes you did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2017

There was a general election in 2017.

Corbyn was your man. He didn't get voted for though.

I rather think the only reason the Labour Party is still more or less in one piece is that they didn't get voted in. If they had to implement Brexit, they'd tear themselves apart too.
We didn't get a chance to vote for a credible Brexit implementation option. You know, one where the party, the politicians, believe in Brexit, collectively, and believe in Britain.

Hs anybody seen UKIP? I appear to have mislaid them Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:10 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Batten's doing a decent job keeping Farage's seat warm for him.

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP

You won't hear about it on the legacy media, but apparently they're swamped by membership applications at the moment. In part due to a neo-Nazi YouTubers "UKIP, because fvck it" campaign, but I think Betray May is helping them out in spades.

There's little point in bunging them £30 now, but I'll be keeping an eye on what the Immortal Leader of our Gammon Race does.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

They're broke.

Plus Farage has lost credibility too.

Earning £800,000 (above MEP salary) in 4 years and yet saying he's skint.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1017810185350471680

(3rd highest earning MEP). AND he makes £700K being some sort of radio presenter.

Oh AND there is speculation that he used BREXIT vote night to make billions:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1011138724187471872

Man of the people yeah right you've been hoodwinked by yet another charlatan.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:22 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
They're broke.

Having no money is bad.

Itchy wrote:
Plus Farage has lost credibility too. Earning £800,000 in 3 years and yet saying he's skint.

Having money is bad.

Except he's still in debt, so having no money is bad.

I'm verrrry tempted to join and live the pug life.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Plus Farage has lost credibility too.

Eh? I thought he quit as UKIP leader?

Yeah, he probably makes millions. Trump makes millions. Loads of politicians make millions on the side, all over the world.
Here's the thing. If they can lead the country, make it prosperous, give people a chance in life, then I don't really begrudge them making millions. I mean, I'm not Corbyn ffs!

Although yes, I think Farage is spineless too, for not seeing this thing through.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sounds like a deliberate attempt at sabotage to me.
Oh well, still no one to properly represent Brexit then Rolling Eyes Well, let's see how Batten reacts to this.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am eternally grateful to the orange moron. He made more to show the true face of Brexit then anyone else.

Some news you will not hear on Brexit Broadcast Corporation today:

Roland Smith from the liberal case for leave:

Quote:
I'm withdrawing my support for Brexit. Did not sufficiently account for: the incompetence of UK politics; the madness of Brexiteers; the deep aversion to EEA; NI; Customs; and of course Trump.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

I am eternally grateful to the orange moron.

Laughing
He's President of the USA, the most powerful country in the world.

You are...?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see BAe looking at developing a new generation fighter for Britain.
I see the commercial space sector in Britain looking at new launch sites for satellites etc.

Not everyone has given up then Smile

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:58 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I see BAe looking at developing a new generation fighter for Britain.
I see the commercial space sector in Britain looking at new launch sites for satellites etc.

Not everyone has given up then Smile

Sure, right after we're done at looking at figuring out how to print a passport.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:

Sure, right after we're done at looking at figuring out how to print a passport.

Laughing Cheap shot!

Perhaps we should get BAe to print them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 135 of 523