Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you legally ride a bike with a helmet attached to it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Guernsey
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:02 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Can you legally ride a bike with a helmet attached to it? Reply with quote

Hello World Very Happy

I just wanted to know if I can attach a spare helmet to the hooks under the pillion seat whilst riding?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rode with one flapping around on my arm, so I don't see why not
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's secure I don't see why it'd be an issue.

I've done it Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:13 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you not be allowed to ride a bike with a helmet attached to it?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:59 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmets, Riding, While Attached, Prohibition of Act, 1976.

Wuuuuuut? Eh?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:17 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secure-Load regs.
If its not going to fall off; if its not going to interfere with other road users, or the rider.. should be legal.

Is it SENSIBLE is another question.

They started fitting helmet locks to bikes around the time that crash-hats became compulsory riding wear in 1973, so that you had some-where to store a crash hat when the bike was parked.

Many helmet locks have American stickers that say "Motorcycle should not be ridden with helmet attached" or similar, and likewise in the owners book, to avoid US liability suits.

This is because a helmet on a helmet lock, may interfere with the rider or suspension of the bike, and it may NOT be secure, depending on how the helmets hung on hook.

Personally, in almost 40 years, I have never ridden a bike with a hat on the helmet hook or lock. 1/ it may get in the way when riding; 2/ it might get tangled in back wheel or suspension, but mainly 3/ it'll tend to flap about and get bashed chipping paint etc! And hats is expensive!

When I have wanted to carry a spare lid, I have either put it in the top box; or strapped or cargo netted it to the pillion seat, usually in a helmet sack or other bag, as luggage.

eg:
https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/162981_184023364955922_3944976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=de8f0d9f6b8affc6c67cc3a1ca1dcbc0&oe=5BE40E3A
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:20 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Secure-Load regs.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/100/made

The Patriarchy wrote:
(2) The load carried by a motor vehicle or trailer shall at all times be so secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than its own weight, and be in such a position, that neither danger nor nuisance is likely to be caused to any person or property by reason of the load or any part thereof falling or being blown from the vehicle or by reason of any other movement of the load or any part thereof in relation to the vehicle.

And... urgh... what Tef said. There are far better ways to carry it than by bouncing it around on the strap that you need to keep it on your head in a crash.

Guernsey
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:55 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1