Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Lol at TM's and Arry's posts.

Fucking hell, the first ZX6R rocked my world just reading about it when I was starting college. 162.5mph from 599cc in 95, with the raucous Kawasaki IL4 sounds, of mechanical clatter, airbox howl, and crazy top end rush. The F-series only did one bad thing and that was looking like a shell suit design in most colour schemes. Its a proper classic bike already IMO and at the time it would have rocked a 600 want to be owners world, in the same way as a Derbi senda rocked the world of all TS50X riders.

I do miss the days of big leaps in bike development and when manufacturers were still really fucking trying and making it noticed.

Maybe the BMW HP4 was the modern era next best thing to a leap in sports bike development with 10-15bhp over the rest at launch.

My best mate had one of the first batch of F model ZX6R's in this country in 1995 (in the red / purple scheme like Cregs). I rode it a few times, it was brilliant but I wouldn't say massively scary. Just felt like a ZXR400 with a massive top end surge. It was a shitload better than any other 600 though.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an icon in its capacity class! It was at launch about 4-5bhp claimed up on a CBR6, and 10kg less, but had ram air like it's predecessor. Was the top speed king though most of its life too, as the R6 had not enough fairing.

Talking of icons, I saw a mint condition lightly modded 95 Blade at work today. Might have a useful fat back end and similar bhp to 5year old 600, but it and the mk1 R1 were the last big milestones made in sports bike development arguably?

At a push I'd say the BMW S1000RR could be almost up there too just based on power and weight figures.

Shame that manufacturer's don't try to build mostest, shit on each others bikes today. A fucking sea of GS1200S replicas is as exciting as two wheels get. Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:52 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at a G or J model ZX6r,

Still the same performance but not quite as focused in the riding position.

I rode a G2 for 25K in all weathers and never suffered from any back/wrist ache. After the 636 the new breed ZX6R became a very track focused machine and much harder for everyday use.

Just my 2 pence worth but I would test ride the 2 if I were you and you will see what I mean.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but as for the 2003> B-series ZX6's becoming very much smaller and more focused, well they didn't have a choice did they with R6's and CBR RR's to compete against. Hell even the GSXR600 was starting to come good by then too.

The original F-series was the most focused until then by a long way, the G-J were in that bracket of comfy roomy all day 600's like a TT600, or Thundercat and CBRF etc.

In fact by 2010> everything 600 went too focused and tiny for their own good. But with litre bikes chasing them down on size and weight, they couldn't escape from being tiny race bikes with lights. That and the naked and more so the expensive adventure bike explosion, put the nails in their coffin.

See if you can buy a new mass produced non homologation special litre sports bike in 5years. Personally I think they won't exist except for halo tiny production run bikes, moto GP replicas and electric bikes.

People always blame world economy, recession, licencing laws/progression and crippling insurance for the end of pinnacle superbikes. All has an effect but peoples tastes and usage for bikes has changed massively and we've become fatter lazier and much more demanding of the latest thing on a PCP deal.

When electric bikes you can plug in a home, get cheaper and become the must have's this new Millenial generation will love them, especially if they can integrate all their connective life into them.

Oh fuck! ^That's a Teff essay and I'm going to have to go to lay down in a dark room in disgust with myself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2