Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

honda vt 125 shadow throttle cable issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: honda vt 125 shadow throttle cable issues Reply with quote

the cable on the vt is a push pull mechanism, I didn't realise that the return cable 'push' side was rusted until I changed the bars because it seemed to be working fine. the regular pull cable that you find on single cable throttles in In tact and I assume the spring in the carb is good because it snaps back shut afterwards. my question is would it be ok to solder the pull cable back together as it split pretty clean because the part right now is out of stock so I don't know how long that might take for it to be available. thoughts? is it necessary as the throttle is workin fine it seems but I wouldn't want the broken cable to snag and hold the throttle open down the road idk thoughts??

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replace it.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Just replace it.

did you read? out of stock on ebay and wemoto. I'm asking can I run it without or should I try and solder it until its back in stock
redeem ouzzer This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Silver Spares

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:27 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear you are a delicate little flower aren't you.....

If old cable corroded in sleeve.. and you solder a new nipple on... even if you manage to do that properly, using plumbers torch, nipple solder and a nipple die, not trying to gob on loads of electrical solder with an electric iron... how long do you think the new nipple will stay in place before it too comes off?

E-bay is NOT the source off all wants.... and we-moto? Wouldn't be my first choice for bits for much, let alone an old 'onda.... Dave Silver's would be.

If DSS are out of stock, and or delivery was more than a week, which I have to say that in, err... twenty something years and, sorry I've lost count of how many old-ondaz.. a lot! I cant remember happening... I would probably buy to length... and since Venhil AFAIK are still only a couple of miles up the road.... they'd probably be my first choice. Spec by cable grade, cable length, inner and outer and nipple type and size on either end.... job jobbed.

IF you have double cable throttle.. it has two cables for a reason... as Smiler eloquently suggested, NOT the answer you want to hear... replace it.... what you want to hear is 'Sure! Be fine! Carry on riding the thing till something else brakes!" Your call, you quickly argue any advice you get that doesn't fit with your own ideals and pre-conceptions... so why ask to start with? Do what they feck you want...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: honda vt 125 shadow throttle cable issues Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
would it be ok to solder the pull cable back together as it split pretty clean because the part right now is out of stock

Go to a bicycle shop, buy a cable with a suitable inner with one suitable end, cut it to length, solder on a new brass nipple to the cut off end. Oh, make sure you've put the inner up the outer before you solder... you will need a gas flame (torch, gas ring on cooker or whatever).

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked Lings and the part is not available so if wemoto is out and ebay is out one alternative is to work out if you can use the cables from another bike.

CMX250Rebel perhaps? (lings do the cables for that bike)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1