PostPosted: 22:57 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP be trolling.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:

Riejufixing wrote:

Personally, I'd check the thickness of the disk before deciding what to do

It looks as thick to me as it always has. What thickness am I looking for? Here's a different angle: https://i.imgur.com/KyOML4X.jpg
It doesn't do the justice to the scratches though, they are a bit rigid.

4.5mm from a quick perusal of an online service manual, but double-check.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally they are 5mm thick, down to a minimum of 4mm, If the scores are deeper than this replace the disc or they crack between the holes.
Dont give up or take it to a shop, do it yourself. When you push the brake pistons back use a thin piece of wood or plastic (old credit card ideal, my missus has loads of them) across the pistons an use some pipe grips on the card.
Stick with it and do it.

OGR

merquis00
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:51 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Op's tyres be like

https://oztoice.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/los-rider-advrider.jpg

"thought I better put some new air in"

"looks dry"

https://i.imgur.com/MBmQ9bQ.jpg

"does it need some chain lube?" Laughing

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:32 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Possibly buy new seals (I've simply put them back in more than a few times).

How can I now they need to be replaced?

https://i.imgur.com/vAntyqu.jpg

While I don't mind ordering a new pair I don't know how to replace them. Seems like taking pistons off could be quite tricky.

Also, there seems to be a lot of residue on those pistons, and a brush with brake cleaner is not enough. Is it okay to use Muc off and Muc of degreaser, or should I stick to brake cleaner only?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:

How can I now they need to be replaced?

https://i.imgur.com/vAntyqu.jpg
Well the dust seals at the base of the seals look pretty much done to me.

BananaLover wrote:
While I don't mind ordering a new pair I don't know how to replace them. Seems like taking pistons off could be quite tricky.

Well you have to pop the pistons. Get a piece of wood several pieces of wood. Put them in front of the pistons and pump the brake lever. The pistons should squash against the wood. Remove one piece of wood and pump again.

What you want to do is get the pistons as far out as possible. Then remove the wood pump the brake lever again and one of them should pop out. The other one just put your thumb in it and pull it out it should 'pop' out.

Replacing the seals is pretty easy.

Take a look at this picture:
https://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Caliper%20seals%20AD%20PIX008.JPG

The brake calipers have two grooves cut into them. The inner one is the brake seal. The outer one is the dust seal. All you do is you simply lever them out use something softer than a screw driver though a small plastic BIC pen cap is ideal (though there are other brands available Very Happy)

Then clean the caliper with out kitchen towel will do you want to get as much crud out of there as possible. You also want to get as much crud out of the brake seal grooves as possible.

Right now you can decide if you want to recycle the seals. Take them out wipe them down and inspect for damage. If they're torn have holes or look in any way damaged toss them away and simply put new ones in. New ones simply squeeze them into an 8 shape and push them in with your fingers.

Do this for both barrels.

BananaLover wrote:

Also, there seems to be a lot of residue on those pistons, and a brush with brake cleaner is not enough. Is it okay to use Muc off and Muc of degreaser, or should I stick to brake cleaner only?

The pistons. Well now you've got to see if you can re-use the pistons. With the pistons out simply drag them across your hand. If you can feel any burrs on them then you can try scrape them off with something soft like a plastic ruler.

What you want to be able to do is to run the piston across your hand and it not to scratch you. Burrs right at the end the bit that touches the brake pads are OK as they're not going to touch the seals.

It doesn't matter if they look a different colour you're after smoothness.

If they are burred then buy new pistons (£15 each last time I bought them... my CBR has 4 of them per front brake Very Happy).

Repeat with the other piston.

Then fill the brake caliper barrels with brake fluid (a little bit) and use your thumbs to push the pistons in. Pre-filling the barrels will make bleeding the brakes much easier. Push the other one in.

Now simply put the pads back in and put it back on your brake disc then bleed the brakes. You'll know when it's done when you hear a creeking sound of the pistons pushing the pads.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:46 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great explanation, thank you.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting away from brakes and stuff, I like bananas too. Did you know that most people open them from the stalky end. But if you watch a chimpanzee he opens them from the blunt end. The chimp knows bananas.

OGR.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
The chimp knows bananas.

But interestingly not in the wild. Their ranges/distribution don't overlap.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2