BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Daft things you thought was a 'fault'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill switches seem to be the winners for a pure numbers game.

Which begs me to question..... What's the point of one anyway? The ignition switch is only a foot away, if you can reach one, you can reach the other.

So why have a kill switch unless it's just to fuck with the minds or riders. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

So why have a kill switch unless it's just to fuck with the minds or riders. Laughing

I just like the name. It fires my imagination Twisted Evil
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are riding

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.NsrogoGJncbgY45U7P5x7QHaFQ&w=288&h=200&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

it's all in your mind Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So why have a kill switch

So you can laugh like Muttley.
https://youtu.be/UVjsOdWaBNo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:09 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

My Enfield (yes, all right chickenstrip) came with both the kill and sidestand switches disconnected, because why give it more ways to mess with you.

Also, turning it off using the ignition switch wrecks the sprag clutch - letting it splutter to quiescence using the valve lifter is the only safe way to murder it.

BMW's auto-cancelling indicators should be considered a fault. They need repeated mashing during all but the shortest manoeuvres or else they turn off mid-roundabout based on an equation of (time^2 / distance) * lulz.

I hear the new models are going to be even "smarter", which gives me a bit of a Skynet shudder.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Which begs me to question..... What's the point of one anyway? The ignition switch is only a foot away, if you can reach one, you can reach the other.

(From the internet)
"They both kill the engine in the same way, by grounding the ignition to kill the spark. The difference is that the rest of the electrical system is still powered (lights, horn, injection pump, etc) when using the kill switch to stop the engine."

Makes sense if you want to stop the engine but still show your lights and have the ability to honk at someone I suppose.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It's so that the bike can be killed without taking a hand off the handlebars. Also so that it's easier to access while the bike is down, and more obvious for clueless randoms to turn off the bike.

Think they were required by the USA, so that's why most bikes got them. I could be wrong though.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

It's so that the bike can be killed without taking a hand off the handlebars. Also so that it's easier to access while the bike is down, and more obvious for clueless randoms to turn off the bike.

Think they were required by the USA, so that's why most bikes got them. I could be wrong though.

My old Norton Dominator had a kill switch under the seat as it didn't have an ignition switch Laughing so it was the only way to stop the engine.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

How else are you going to play the kill switch game during your misspent youth? Laughing

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a car a few weeks ago, driving home one day and it’s nice and sunny so windows down, but there’s a tap tapping sound somewhere to my left. After an embarrassingly long time, I realised it’s the passenger seat belt being repeatedly blown into the wall by the wind.

On my ER6 I thought my headlight was on full beam all the time, as I could see the light on overhead signs on the motorway. MOT rolls around, I mention it, they say it lines up perfectly with their gizmo. Then he looks me up and down and tells me to sit on the bike. Light floods up the wall. The bike is fine, the rider is fat.

Aaand on Saturday, I went to start up my VFR and couldn’t get it to play. Shit myself, it’s well over 20 years old, could be anything.
Forgot the choke.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

How else are you going to play the kill switch game during your misspent youth? Laughing

Thinking

I'm not exactly sure it was put there to frighten old ladies, dogs and terrorist policemen.......

But hey Dance! I'll go with it. It's the most sensible suggestion yet for having a kill switch.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once involuntarily accumulated half a dozen helpful friends and passers-by in a train station car park offering suggestions as to why my bike wouldn't start. One suggested, despite my protestations that I could hear and even see fuel sloshing about in the tank, that I should switch to reserve. It worked. Embarassed

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my Silver Wing around for a couple of weeks before I used it in anything like low light conditions. When I did, I realised only the sidelights were on, so next day, I spent an unhappy half hour removing bits of fairing, poking around with mirrors and torches and skinning my knuckles, but I eventually got the bulb changed.

So to try it out, I switched on the ignition and then moved the light switch across a notch..................maybe if I'd done that previously, I wouldn't have needed to change the bulb Embarassed

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the crap performance and poor handling of my 400 Superdream was a whole bunch of faults, but then I realised they actually designed them that way.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant remember what bike it was but I'd driven it around to the local shop to get some food. This is when I was living down south. Now I'd gone in before hand the bike was working fine. Came out and the bike refused to start.

Checked everything side stand up. Press starter nothing. Pulled in clutch. Press starter nothing.

Hmm thinks I then take seat off check the battery yup got voltage. Ended up ringing someone and they said simply look at the front of the bike.. there is a red switch which way is it facing. Hmm it was sideways; yup you have already guessed it was the kill switch. Never had a bike before with one.

Another one was I'd taken the starter motor apart to clean the bushes put it back together and now the bike wont start. You see the bike was having problems in the first place.

Tried bump starting it no luck. So pushed it up a hill. Pushing 250kg up a hill is heavy trust me. Managed to do it then exhausted and almost dropping on the bike I climbed back on. Then slowly treaded to roll down the hill and managed to get it start. Thinking it was the sprague clutch I then ended up taking the bike apart over the next 2 days. You see on the bmw k series you have to remove the rear of the bike to get at the clutch inside the bellhousing. Got the sprague clutch out then found it was clean.

Put the bike back together to check and confused took the starter motor apart. That's when I realized that the marks I'd put on the starter motor had gone. See you can reverse the polarity so it spins backwards.

Yeah I'd had the bike off the road pulled the sprague clutch and pushed it up a hill all to find out I'd put the starter motor case in backwards.

Is that the kind of thing you were after..

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:21 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Another one was I'd taken the starter motor apart to clean the bushes put it back together and now the bike wont start. You see the bike was having problems in the first place.

Tried bump starting it no luck. So pushed it up a hill. Pushing 250kg up a hill is heavy trust me. Managed to do it then exhausted and almost dropping on the bike I climbed back on. Then slowly treaded to roll down the hill and managed to get it start. Thinking it was the sprague clutch I then ended up taking the bike apart over the next 2 days. You see on the bmw k series you have to remove the rear of the bike to get at the clutch inside the bellhousing. Got the sprague clutch out then found it was clean.

Put the bike back together to check and confused took the starter motor apart. That's when I realized that the marks I'd put on the starter motor had gone. See you can reverse the polarity so it spins backwards.

Yeah I'd had the bike off the road pulled the sprague clutch and pushed it up a hill all to find out I'd put the starter motor case in backwards.

Is that the kind of thing you were after..

No, that would be an actual fault that acted like a fault.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is nobody going to mention the fact that they tried to move their bike but couldn't because they'd left the fugging disc lock on?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:19 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had loose headstock bearings, would always hear and I though feel a slight tap on braking, I checked them and they were fine, turns out it was the brake line hitting the mudguard. Took me months to work it out Mr. Green

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning.

Riding along at 50mph and power suddenly stops and bike is coughing and spluttering. Thought damn, engine gone. Called recovery, by the time I broke down to the journey to my house was 3 hours.

Put it in the garden, jumped on another bike to get to work.

Came home tonight, had a look over it. Turns out the choke lever had come loose when I was riding and put it into the on position. Turned it off, ran fine Embarassed

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark me down for a kill switch brain fart too.
I reconnected one on a CX after ages of riding without it
and spent an embarrassing amount of time outside a bike shop
trying to start it, checking fuel,plugs etc before realising what I'd done.

Stained me kecks on the motorway when a horrible rattling started
and eased off thinking it was some sudden terminal engine failure.
Pulled in to nearby services and realised it was the metal stud on my coat collar tapping against my helmet.
Oh how we larfed

On way up A5 to Holyhead for Dublin ferry
Mates bike starts to belch black smoke and lose power
Oh shit fart bollocks! not now!
We start to pull it apart by the side of the road and find
a rag from his recent 'maintenance' had got sucked into the air filter housing.
oh how we larfed etc

Bike fully laden with camping gear starts nasty scary wobbling
me thinking "blow out!! slow as much as poss before falling off!
more slow less hurty"!
The it returned to normal
Whut?
stopped to check
Mates larfing their arses off at me doing a "Oh look, cows!"
instead of noticing the tarmac had been ripped up prior to resurfacing

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I had warped discs, replaced both discs and still had front wheel wobble, new bearings, still had a wobble, balanced wheels, still had a wobble, Cost over £200 trying to fix but no joy, even changed rear suspension and still no joy. Turns out the front tyre was bubbled. Changed the tyre and the bike was spot on again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2