Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

shadow 125 slow maybe?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: shadow 125 slow maybe? Reply with quote

yes I know its a 125 and I know its always going to be slow. my question isn't bout goin 'faster' its about whether the speed indicates I need to adjust the valves or something.

if I rag the piss outta it i'll get 65mph, on the flat, now these are claimed the full 15bhp, water cooled twin doesn't seem unreasonable, so 70mph probably is fresh out the factory top speed

because its not going this fast is it because I need to adjust the valves? its done 23,000 miles so if they haven't been done by previous owners they might be well outta sync.

btw all I've done is change the oil, filter and a couple of aesthetics stuff , rest is stock

yes I still need to work out the starter motor issues

so basically am I on the mark, or should I adjust the valves or something? Haynes manual says 7500 miles so if I'm lucky and its been done each time then I should be just past the last check no? anyway thanks

not trying to be a rocketship id get a 2 stroke if that was my goal

thx

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason other than top speed that indicates you may need to adjust the valve clearances?

What is the "couple of aesthetics stuff"?

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Is there any reason other than top speed that indicates you may need to adjust the valve clearances?

miles, its done 23,000 manual says every 7500 miles and considering these are learner bikes, probably not well kept

as for mods, seat and handlebars

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:17 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fully expect that they've never been done.

The reason to do them is because they need done regularly, not because it will the bike go any faster.

However, I would urge you, beg you, to not throw time or money at a lardy shagged out old 125. By far the cheapest and bestest way to go faster, even 5mph faster, is to get a licence and a real bike.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

miles, its done 23,000 manual says every 7500 miles and considering these are learner bikes, probably not well kept

as for mods, seat and handlebars

It either goes clickety tickety clickety tickety clickety tickety when it's idling warm and if the noise comes from the right area it could be tappets, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then either clearance is OK or they're too tight. If too tight, you will lose power and your exhaust valve may become rather badly "nibbled".

So check the clearances. Not a hard job?

It's probably nothing to do with your "mods" unless you've fitted 24" ape hangers or similar.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's new to you check th valve clearances simply because on a learner bike they're likely not to have been done regularly.

65mpg isn't out of the ordinary. It's heavy for a 125, even with the extra power.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:48 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it.

Do tests.

Get license.

Spend the profits on a bigger bike.

Steamed hams.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:20 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dental plan.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:41 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
plan

https://i.imgur.com/cVB7078.jpg

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again 2 of you with the same comments “sell and get a bigger bike” sir I bloody well would !! But I’m 17 so this is literally the “biggest” bike I can buy Smile so yeh.

I’ll make steps towards adjusting the valves like buying a feeling gauge and watching a few YouTube videos

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:52 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
Again 2 of you with the same comments “sell and get a bigger bike” sir I bloody well would !! But I’m 17 so this is literally the “biggest” bike I can buy Smile so yeh.

I’ll make steps towards adjusting the valves like buying a feeling gauge and watching a few YouTube videos

Just service the bike properly and use it until you are old enough / rich enough to buy something else. Quite a lot of us started out just like you. Good things will come in time. As some have said; do the tappets. It will cost you a couple of quid and a little time and care. It probably won't make the bike go a lot faster, but it will go right and not be wearing the valve gear from being too wide or burning the valves from being too tight. I recently bought an old CG125 and its valves were way out and it ran better after I adjusted it. I don't know your bike at all, but if it is the screw and lock nut type adjuster, when you have adjusted it and you think it is right, check it again. Very often when you tighten the locknut, the adjustment goes a little bit tighter - so check it again after you think it is done.

No 125 is going to go very fast - you already know that and said so in your first post, but it takes about 11 hp to make a naked bike get to 60 or 65 miles an hour and about 21hp to get it ten miles an hour faster, so don't expect a lot from your 14hp engine, even if it is going perfectly. Power required to go faster increases exponentially as speed increases so the odd one or two hp makes little difference and can easily be outweighed by things like riding position (upright or stretched out) or rider size and increased air resistance from just being bigger than another rider.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That engine is also in the varadero I believe, but probably 1/4 ton lighter. Laughing

Just service it, I didn't touch the valves once on mine and it was on 77k when I got rid. Still rode lovely and would have it back instantly Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

"Feeler gauge".

Remember, even ill-tempered wizened oldies of 25 and over who now get cheap insurance once rode bicycles. Enjoy your Shadow thing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:04 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
But I’m 17 so this is literally the “biggest” bike I can buy

Why did you buy a bike made for 250 pound 50 year old homosexual autistics? Eh?

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ART-ADS wrote:
But I’m 17 so this is literally the “biggest” bike I can buy

Why did you buy a bike made for 250 pound 50 year old homosexual autistics? Eh?

Cus it’s badass

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
Cus it’s badass

How many SAMCRO t-shirts do you own?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
Cus it’s badass

https://cdn.smosh.com/wp-content/uploads/ftpuploads/bloguploads/laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1